What's new

Railing Across Europe

jayjay

Giga Poster
I have to say it again: this is such an awesome mix of credding and cultural sightseeing! I really enjoy reading this and looking at your pictures. It's so inspiring and makes me want to travel across Europe even more <3
There's so much, it's amazing. Only problem with Switzerland, lovely as it is: it's very good at emptying your wallet.

Small tip: as I found out later, if you have spare francs, they can be used as partial payment for Europa Park.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
The title of your last section just reminded me of this XD

f1LgP3Y.jpg

Driven though Lucerne a few times now coming back from Italy and agree that it's very nice. You'll have to give me some tips on good places to go in order to stay in a wooden hut - sounds amazing.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Your thoughts on Freiburg are intriguing as I've been a few times for work. It's such a gorgeous city, and I've done that walk up to the Biergarten before and it's got some stunning views. Fun fact about the water troughs around the city, legend says that if you fall in one you will marry someone from Freiburg :)

jayjay

Giga Poster
That's a fab fun fact! I think I need a job that takes me to different places. My office is quiet.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Day 14 - "All the creds!" (Europa Park I)

Scenery and culture is great and all, but I was itching to get back on the park scene, so up next, two days of Europa Park (which will be split in twain, because I found more to say).

v9Txhyq.jpg

People have always said that it needs a couple of days to do properly, so gave myself plenty of time (and the option of ditching the second day).

Train from Freiburg to Ringsheim, bus to the park. You get a great view of Silver Star as you go in, and the trees and scenery obscure the rest of the goodness inside. First port of call: to the back of the park for Blue Fire.

s9Jj5Q7.jpg

BLUE FIRE MEGACOASTER powered by GAZPROM, as its full title reads

NjDIRFk.jpg

Blue Fire is a decent coaster. Nice launch that keeps on going, and lots of that floaty Mack goodness in the inversions. Not a fan of the opening stall turn and has some distinct dead spots.

HLQ8Sep.jpg

There's an inconspicuous door leading to a view of the launch track

Here, I got my first taste of Europa's famously good batching. I opted for the single-rider queue, which ended up being about the same as the regular queue (at 40-ish minutes). The guy on the turnstile barked orders at the passengers, grabbing the occasional single rider. Suddenly any hold-up felt like a grave upset to the system. Alles in Ordnung!

Nearby is Wodan Timbur Coaster, the GCI woodie. Again opting for the single rider, I boarded swiftly in the pleasant wooden station, complete with a fab soundtrack and wooden goddesses turning their heads to watch the train arrive and leave.

I6qFV7X.jpg

The torches at the top are a nice touch

WOwimpj.jpg

Understated but effective

Wodan: brilliant! Didn't expect to really love this one, but I think I have a thing for this kind of twisting and diving woodie layout. The way the first drop keeps feeling steeper and steeper as the structure envelopes the train - the way you briefly fly over the water coaster's drop, all fabulous. I'd contrast it with something like Wildfire. Wildfire is a friend leading you on a scenic tour of breathtaking landscapes. Wodan is a friend grabbing you by the collar and dragging you erratically through the wild.

GZowb7M.jpg

I still prefer Wildfire for the record

As it was a cred, I had to tick off Atlantica SuperSplash, though it was freezing (no queue) and I didn't wanna. Good views from the top, but felt like a prototype. Why does it just go backwards for no reason? Who knows.

tzAs2bl.jpg

At least it looks great

Box ticking hat back on, charged over to do Euro-Mir and Euro-Sat (whose names I get endlessly confused). Europa Park sure do love their spiral lift hills.

yJDQnQ4.jpg

This is Euro-Mir

Euro Mir is weird. Disco rave lift hill with rocket! High exposed Wild Mouse section! Poo coaster section (y stop spinning :( ).

JislHrK.jpg

I planned to walk around the actual Euro-Mir the next day, but it was shut :(

VcGbgU0.jpg

This is Euro-Sat

After the novelty of ascending to the indoor queue on an escalator, this didn't offer me much of anything except corners that were far too uncomfortable and lots of laser effects that didn't stick the landing.

There's loads of rides here that seem to chuck you straight into the next entrance queue. Silver Star next. It's themed to Formula One. Did you know Mercedes won three world titles? You will after they bat you over the head with it constantly.

6UoXamo.jpg

Guys guys guys! We're so awesome! Notice us!

85iBFWc.jpg

We have a cool car that goes whoosh and everything

Silver Star in the second-to-back row was a disappointment. Whether it was trims, the cold, or too early in the day, the train was crawling over hills, leading my favourite part of the ride to be the flicky S-bend at the end.

Oh, and it was hailing. So that was great.

LTzqHDa.jpg

Why must you be so?

Next up, Pegasus, which was like Götterblitz at Familypark, but not as good. There was VR. I didn't bother.

FX4IcyL.jpg

You were fine, probably

Poseidon - oh yay, another wet coaster in the cold. Actually, this one is much better - for a start, the theming is expansive and atmospheric.

wQtIGp3.jpg

Poseidon's station is underrated

The coaster section wasn't particularly exciting, and a little uncomfortable, but today, I was grateful for the weediness of the splash, which wasn't up to much.

7IWpjMq.jpg

Pictured: nobody getting wet

DRKxkx3.jpg

Love the dive-under

By this point, I was making good time on aim number one of getting all the coasters done on the first day, so I added in a couple of other rides. Curse of Kassandra is a mad house. Not great...

...No preshow, and sudden unpleasant 4D effects like the under-seat roller. Not a fan

0VadmvA.jpg

Disappointing

There's also a nearby dark ride shooter, themed to an under-sea adventure. It's got a unique cartoony style, which probably means it's cheap, but it owns it at least.

Matterhorn Blitz: quirky lift, but mostly forgettable.

S5p7sLF.jpg

But it has a horse in the queue, which is something

More dark ride times: the Ghost Train (Geisterschloss). It's... Haunted Mansion. It's so obviously just nicked all the ideas from a ride I've not even ridden, but recognise one or two references from.

RC2kh4j.jpg

There's a lot of Disney ripoffs at Europa Park, though with a better standard than Movieland

Took a short diversion to take care of the kiddie creds. Unfortunately, no luck in walking straight onto the Ba-a-a Express. Had to wait in the kiddie queue of shame.

fBiVYfW.jpg

But shameful as it was, there's a load of really cute scenery in the new Ireland area.

Pwn5uPB.jpg

Anyway, here's Wonderwall

lbewGbW.jpg

Next up, another surprise coaster. Arthur is an inverted, partially indoor coaster/dark ride hybrid. Lots of big set pieces from the film (with unfortunate use of occasional screens), the inverted coaster allows the floor to be themed too.

5vftpVM.jpg

This seems familiar somehow

The highlight of this ride though, is where the train pops out into the main atrium and circles above the crowds below. There's something genuinely adventurous and whimsical about it all. Using a powered coaster system allows for some more dynamic movement too. Big thumbs up!

P3o6Cws.jpg

Wheeee

Two more to go. Schweizer Bobbahn is a Mack bobsled, and that's about all you need to know. If you've been on Avalanche, you've been on this too.

Lastly, I finally get a chance to do VR. I've been putting off doing upcharge VR, but I desperately wanted to have an opinion on it, so I opted to do Alpinexpressen without VR, then again with.

Without VR: One of the better mine trains. The Mine Train shares space with the log flume and a walkthrough in a sort of gem mine dark ride area. It's got moments of speed and lots to look at. Why this coaster for VR? Why? Well...

ReVxfzB.jpg

With VR: Got to admit, I kind of enjoyed this. The graphics were basic, and I couldn't get properly immersive focus, but there was lots to enjoy, with progression through a mine to a ride on a dragon. Still, feels like the wrong ride to receive this treatment. Much more receptive to the news of Euro-Sat getting VR.

In conslusion of day one: great success! Two new rides to grace my top twenty (granted Blue Fire just squeaked in) and all of the rest of the coasters done! Europa Park is a solid park with a huge lineup, but still not enough to beat my favourite.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
There seems to be so much to do at Europa! Even though this park seems over-rated by the French GP, I can totally see why people (and not just non-goons) like it a lot. The theming looks very pleasant (except for the Mercedes ad... oops I meant Silver Star zone) and their coaster selection is impressive though not as exciting as the top coasters in Europe. Thanks again for your report!

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Good update, did you only ride Silver Star once that day? I wasn't that impressed with it at the back either tbf but I wouldn't say it was crawling.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Good update, did you only ride Silver Star once that day? I wasn't that impressed with it at the back either tbf but I wouldn't say it was crawling.
That was an exaggeration, but I didn't sense much airtime. Just one ride. I felt like rerides were more important on Blue Fire and Wodan. Didn't manage to get to it on day two either, but went from half an hour day one to one hour when I checked the queue.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
That was an exaggeration, but I didn't sense much airtime. Just one ride. I felt like rerides were more important on Blue Fire and Wodan. Didn't manage to get to it on day two either, but went from half an hour day one to one hour when I checked the queue.
Ouch :( Silver Star is probably worth the extra 20 minute wait for front row too. Last time I went I only rode it once but made sure it was front row, last ride of the day.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Day 15 - "Foodpoop" (Europa II)

Back to Europa Park for day two. Could get used to the continental breakfast at the Alleehaus. Germany knows how to do bread!

Unfortunately, I discovered that the Plopsa Pass only gives the discount for one day a year, so had to pay full whack. On the other hand, they accepted the remains of my Swiss Francs, so made use of the leftovers from a country I'm not quickly going back to.

FfEjgn1.jpg

Knowing German doesn't make this any less funny

I felt like starting on Arthur, and decided to try the entire queue, instead of single-rider. It's immersive and atmospheric, though contains video screens attempting to explain every character in the movie I haven't seen. Only useful for German reading practice.
30K3ux9.jpg

Still good, though noticing the cracks

Starting to notice the flaws. There's a scene which they have to introduce with a film clip because "don't worry, it's not out of place"

Reride on Geisterschloss, which is still kind of fab but crap.

Italy has a gondola ride, which educated me on the fact that Italy is just food.
xqmsS6x.jpg

And I'm pretty sure that's Jose Carioca (who is Mexican) manning the boat

I had a look at the British section, to see what Europe makes of us. Queen's Jewels - a laser maze walkthrough. Nothing amazing, lots of easy "avoid beam by crawling" bits.
g4PQtVd.jpg

50ovx1B.jpg

Something seems wrong here

ZCyp9Ar.jpg

"Let's Celebrate Rock 'n' Roll" is my favourite Shakespeare play

In France, a lady was walking around casually with a flock of geese. Why not?
Ti4ZOfI.jpg

Hey look, an observation tower!
WQ88C8r.jpg

Let's get HIGH

PfyUp8H.jpg

Sometimes when you're on a hectic holiday, you just need time to sit down. So lets tick off more transport rides. To the trains!
J0hDuhE.jpg

Choo choo

jjU3NRz.jpg

Some good lookin bits of this park

Over to Spain, to see what this strange looking Christopher Columbus ride is. Try to guess what it's going to be from photo number one:

Q6ozpyt.jpg

*Jeapardy thinking music*

HQHH98i.jpg

That's right! It's a spinny dark ride with lights and water effects!

So... on to lunch. I felt like I should at least try a Foodloop so I could have an opinion. Here is a list of things I didn't like.

- Queue to get in. Obviously my fault for trying, but over half an hour is too much, because it turns out this is not an efficient system (especially at Europa)

bO32Ny9.jpg

If you know where this picture was taken from on the entrance bridge, that's how long the line was

- Rollercoasters weren't really impressive (didn't even have wheels)
- The clunky touchscreen interface meant I accidentally ordered a drink I didn't want. Had to stretch my German to get it taken off the bill
- Not a good solo experience, unless you like sharing a round table with 11 others.
- Eating out of pans is not ergonomic
- Lots of faff with cutlery and the whole rotating table thing

I haven't mentioned the food itself in that list, because I managed to order something that was actually good - think it was some kind of tomato salmon ravioli. But Europa had decent food in general.

2/10, would not do again.

X5cxGGJ.jpg

Booo

UroP1gd.jpg

I want a hip baby

The Foodloop restaurant sat on top of Europa's version of Carousel of Progress (I think), with a museum and rotating theatre show. It felt more like a fifteen minute advert for the park I was already at.

3jTrgod.jpg

Much excitement!

We're on a roll with Disney knockoffs: how about Pirates of the Carri... I mean Piraten in Batavia.

1aXngxD.jpg

Kapitän Hans Spatz

I grabbed rerides on Wodan and Blue Fire while I was here. Decided to use the full Wodan queue this time: a good decision. It's got a great indoor section with themed areas and setpieces.

OgXdaU7.jpg

It also goes under the lift hill where you can take arty geometric pictures

ZEjH1gb.jpg

Lovely bit of carved wood close to the station

Somewhere hidden near the Euro-Mir/Sat area is a dinosaur dark ride, which was underwhelming. Fab status: not.

The log flume was the last thing to get a ride before I disappeared back to the station. Again, it shuffles through the gem mine with the mine-train, and wasn't wet in the back.

And that's Europa Park. Great place, with lots to offer. Not quite the concentration of quality as Phantasialand, but impressive nonetheless.
186Pjix.jpg

Next stop on my tour was a return to Cologne via Offenburg. Long distance train? I'll have mine on ICE!
xgjnmpA.jpg

There's one more picture of an ICE in the next report sorrynotsorry

2JsJQqL.jpg

There's that good ****

K3U4DmP.jpg

My hotel really wanted to make sure I knew which city I was in

I intentionally ordered the trip to finish (well, almost finish) on a high. My favourite park, Phantasialand.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Agree on foodloop there. Got as far as sitting down before deciding it was awful and leaving again.
Can't beat a good 300km/h train.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Day 16 "Phantasialand - The Sober Version"

Do we have enough reviews of Phantasialand this year yet? No? Marvelous!

Phantasialand!

yjXKhyI.jpg

I miss you <3

Now, those who went to the CF Live last year might remember that I had a little too much fun at the hotel bar and ended up with a hangover on the day I visited the best park. This time, I had nobody to drink with, so no such troubles.

ATN0YSU.jpg

DRAGON!

I made sure to arrive nice and early to make use of the staggered opening. Remember, though most things open at 10am, pay attention to things opening at 9.00 or 9.30. For instance...

2H7P4XS.jpg

I think this was the only thing open at 9.00, but it's something I haven't done.

...but more importantly
cUd3nol.jpg

Hey sexy

Last year, Black Mamba blew me away with its great scenery interaction, strong forces and fast pace. Sadly, I wasn't feeling it this time. Felt a bit sluggish sadly, but chalked the first ride up to cold running. It was first thing.

A brief foray over to Maus au Chocolat to find it SHUT! A worrying start, but a reminder of how lucky I've been with spites this trip. Only one ride was denied me so far (Fuga de Atlandide) and that was my choice over security of leaving valuable things perched on a brick wall. Phantasialand had other plans.

1ri9jPP.jpg

And now that I'm sober...

Mild nausea put me off the idea of Talocan last year, so it took high priority. It's certainly the best (non-fair) topspin that I've done in terms of ride intensity, and do I need to mention the theming? The viewing platforms and queue-line circling the pool make an intimidating amphitheatre too!

8DgmhOz.jpg

The disadvantage of getting to rides on opening is soulless photos of nothing happening

VY2HmxD.jpg

DRAGON!

Next stop: Klugheim, the main event! Last time, I had a hoard of CF-ers waxing lyrical over the wonder that is Taron. It was night, we were in heaven! Could it hold up on my own during the day? I remember the first ride being underwhelming.

Oean366.jpg

Number one rule of Phantasialand Reports: include multiple pictures of Taron because it is beautiful: always

The answer: still fantastic. Maybe giving it that little extra time to warm up did it, but its relentless second half sells it! The second great launch, running up the waterfall as it envelopes the train, spitting you high into the exposed air is still exchilirating! And the length. It just keeps on coming. After the trip, Taron remained in my number two spot.

Mystery Castle had gained some live queueline actors since coming last. Luckily, entering behind another group spared me the full force of the masked figures. Unfortunately, it seemed they were running the short cycle. Still good, but not perfect.

Back to Kulgheim for Raik, which spent half the day shut.

4zaQN81.jpg

I'd spend half the day sulking if my sibling was Taron

Not quite as good as during the night, but still right up there for a coaster of this intensity.

MoYvBQ1.jpg

By the way, it's next this other great ride you need more pictures of

It's a freezing cold day, so let's go for the wettest thing in the park next. I entered River Quest to a completely unsurprising walk-on, joining a smattering of other Germans. Now that I know the layout, I can enjoy it while basking in people's reactions. I can see why everyone last year wanted a River Quest virgin in each boat.

You'll also be pleased to know that no electronics were killed this time around. I'm not still bitter about losing potentially my best Live video.

6tGlP3u.jpg

The improved decor was much appreciated too - especially in the lifts

I trudged past Chiapas and Maus au Chocolat to find that both were still shut. Not good, so I made my way over to the other side of the park for Wuze Town.

ffDqyyp.jpg

This time I wasn't feeling so Wuzy

But could the park throw in any more closures? Oh, you betcha! As I approached the stairs, one side of the ride inexplicably stopped working. It sprung to life later, but probably added a good 20 minutes to an already long queue. Winjas isn't quite as good when you know all the surprises, but it's still a quirky kind of fun.

Ticking off the rest of the things in this corner: Hollywood boat ride was still awkwardly between naff and impressive. I still like some of the more creative set pieces. Temple of the Nighthawk still feels like a waste of a long layout. And I still haven't really given the big boat ride much of a thought, though it does look serene.

Qe0mdpc.jpg

Looks good, but nah

Coming back over, hurrah! Things started to open again. Maus first - I missed the queue-line last year due to fastpassing it, but rest assured it's every bit as good as people say. I still feel like the ride goes on a little too long.

ZlWySd0.jpg

Hotel Tartüff being just next door, I swung by. It's the sort of thing that makes Phantasialand great: pick a theme, do it well, and don't leave anything untouched.

I7b8EvH.jpg

DRAGON!

And Chiapas was open too! A perfect ride for a perfect freezing cold April afternoon. And it has a single rider queue. Shout it with me everybody...

lyxrcSm.jpg

CHIA! PAS!

tU0bdbx.jpg

The rave cave, the swoopy transitions, the flawless scenery. All still as good as last time.

Colorado Express was the last thing to tick off. I appreciate the effort and some of the scenery (with the great exception of the first section through the corrugated metal shed), but I may have to conceded that I'm not a huge fan of mine trains. Just find them a little uncomfortable.

ZOQe4qOg.jpg

With Black Mamba nearby, I thought it would be worth starting on rerides. Unfortunately it wasn't improving much on the morning. Even queuing again for the front row, it was only a marginal improvement. Maybe I should come hungover more often.

sVw4w7T.jpg

DRAGON!

Back to reride Taron, because it's still fab!

1XhsvS1.jpg

These pictures are so moreish, don't you agree?

v92FhbA.jpg

I was gonna throw away this accidental click photo, but actually, just look at how much effort went into the aesthetic of the bridge. The weathered plate steel. The rivets. This is why Phantasialand is the best.

Then on to Mystery Castle for another ride. And good news! They extended the ride cycle to the full length. My favourite part of the full cycle is the booming German voice-over after the first launch. It completely heightens the tension. Then the strobes come and the next launch takes your breath away. Argh, it's just so good, I was having a whale of a time. Can't believe I left slightly underwhelmed by this last year.

My phone ran out of battery early... no more DRAGON!

Finishing off with the other Winja, which was now walk-on, I headed out of the park after a fabulous day at Phantasialand! It's confirmed as my favourite park. The rides are consistently wonderful, and I'm even more excited for next year's F.L.Y. now. It's got theming plastering every corner, to a very high standard.

Sometimes, you just need sleep. Back off the train, I waddled to my hotel and collapsed. One last leg, one last country and one last park to go. Allons y!

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Congratulations on not stacking it outside the Ling Bao this time. That really was an excellent evening.
Mamba is a funny coaster I was totally underwhelmed the first time I went to PL, it was MILES better at Ghosterforce though, strange how it keeps swinging.
Very good update, liking the humour.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Phantasialand TRs are just gonna keep coming, especially if F.L.Y. really gets completed next year! I'm not complaining by any means though :D :D

Truly appreciate your effort writing so many reports, even if Phanta isn't the dullest park to write about ^^ So many quality rides there. Glad it's still your favourite park!