What's new

PowerPark | Pitts Special | Gerstlauer Infinity | 2020

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Track extensions are always something you hear 10 year old fanboys throw about every other month for every other coaster it seems, but they very rarely happen.

That's a good amount of evidence to support a track extension, which is crazy and really interesting. However, until we see it actually happen / have it confirmed, I remain a bit sceptical (but quietly excited!).

Link to the facebook post mentioned on Reddit...

GeorgeL

Roller Poster
New footers are at least installed very close to Junker
w7ejYL9.jpg

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Has a significant track extension of a coster ever happened before? I'm struggling to think of an example. I remember seeing some info on a python plus project for efteling that never fully got off the ground, but I can't think of any others
There's been a few. Thunderbolt at Kennywood's a good example as is Lightning Bolt from MGM Grand Adventures.
The two Demon Arrows at SFGAm and CGA had loops added at some point into their life as well, having started as Turn Of The Century with just corkscrews.

Last edited:

Boodangy

Mega Poster
While I applaud the pettiness as a Finn, I just can't really get excited about this. This extension will cost the park almost as much as Taiga did for Linnanmäki so I'd have much rather waited a year or two more and then them to bust out with a Kärnan-esque Gerstlauer hyper coaster or something, while now the coaster/experience count at the park stays the same and there's nothing new to attract me there. If they got a new coaster it'd be hype cause they'd have a nice top 3 of coasters but with this it'll stay as just Junker and Thunderbird, it's just that Junker will get a bit better potentially.

EDIT: This also means that now that Powerpark is sinking a whole coaster's worth of money into this extension, I have no idea how long us Finns will have to wait for another big coaster. Särkänniemi is never gonna build anything bigger than an off the shelf shuttle coaster, Linnanmäki just built Taiga and is consequently out of space and extra cash and Powerpark is spending their budget on extending an existing coaster.

Last edited:

Anac0nda

Mega Poster
Translation:
During this autumn, new groundwork has taken place next to Junker - the most intense coaster in Northern Europe. Footer rebar cages and new foundations look like Junker will have an equally intense rival ride. Our reader tips us saying it's worth 7M€.

Park Manager Mikko Kiviluoma, is this true?
- 7M€ coaster. Where are you hearing these rumors from? Are you confusing us with Särkänniemi?

So it's not true?
- I don't know. We'll... uhhh... info you when... are you wearing some headphones with a mic?

I am not. Is it true or not?
- I mean we will always update and develope the park. Whatever the rumor is, we'll tell you when we feel like it, what's coming and whatnot. So hold your horses.

Now would be a good time, right
- It has been asked many times but I will keep repeating: we will publish when we feel like it's relevant.

Last edited:

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Has a significant track extension of a coster ever happened before? I'm struggling to think of an example. I remember seeing some info on a python plus project for efteling that never fully got off the ground, but I can't think of any others
Actually, I was reading about Python Plus just the other day! One prominent example that comes to my mind is Kennywood's renovation of Steel Phantom into Phantom's Revenge.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Wasn't the original X-Car concept meant to have extensions starting from a really basic layout (Ukko, for instance)? That never came to fruition although the first extension was first introduced from day 1 on Abismo at PAM.

I am REALLY loving how butt-hurt a park must be to extend a coaster just to compete with another park xD

PetskuC

Mega Poster
Maybe they're extending this coaster so that they can still have a new attraction, but without the high maintenance costs associated with running an additional coaster?
This. They can also advertise it heavily as Finlands longest and possibly tallest with this. The gp will eat it up, and saying "Junker just got eeeven crazier" will drive the locals nuts.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk