What's new

Phoenix or Coaster at Playland?

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I'm just going to go out and say you're not going to find a single person here who got to ride Phoenix when it was still the Rocket in San Antonio.
If you really wanted to dig.......while RRC is rather useless now, it is a pretty fantastic time machine.

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!forum/rec.roller-coaster just search "Playland Rocket". It returned some results but Google Groups doesn't let you copy and paste search links.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I'm just going to go out and say you're not going to find a single person here who got to ride Phoenix when it was still the Rocket in San Antonio.
If you really wanted to dig.......while RRC is rather useless now, it is a pretty fantastic time machine.

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!forum/rec.roller-coaster just search "Playland Rocket". It returned some results but Google Groups doesn't let you copy and paste search links.
Thanks for the link. I will explore.

However, I was asking about Phoenix at Knoebels and the coaster called Coaster at PNE Playland in Vancouver. I have often heard these two coasters called similar air-filled woodies, and I was curious about the opinions of those who've ridden both.

davidm

Strata Poster
Well Tom & Jerry have. (ha ha, no really)

(and Australian Gavin I think ; if coaster-count is right)

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Haha, get back to me in September. Planning on doing Oregon and Washington with a overnight in Vancouver.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Haha, get back to me in September. Planning on doing Oregon and Washington with a overnight in Vancouver.
I shan't leave this thread until you report back. ;)
I am interested in people's views on this, so I really would appreciate it if you do remember to drop a note in here then.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Ok, ok, ok.... I just got home today after a whirlwind +2,000 mile drive (and 5 flights) across the Pacific Northwest... Vising Alberta and British Columbia Canada and Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Oergon.

PNE/Playland Coaster....... Top....ten... worthy. No need to overhype..... I was absolutely blown away at how substantial the airtime was on this ride. with no back rest, no seat divider, no seatbelt, and a fixed position lap bar... Basically every single hill forces your entire body to stand up. Absolutely incredible. But it is a pricey coaster to get. Nearly $80.... $20 for parking, $16 for admission..... And then something like $42 for a ride pass....! But I don't think I've laughed so much on a coaster in the longest time.

Last edited:

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Ok, ok, ok.... I just got home today after a whirlwind +2,000 mile drive (and 5 flights) across the Pacific Northwest... Vising Alberta and British Columbia Canada and Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Oergon.

PNE/Playland Coaster....... Top....ten... worthy. No need to overhype..... I was absolutely blown away at how substantial the airtime was on this ride. with no back rest, no seat divider, no seatbelt, and a fixed position lap bar... Basically every single hill forces your entire body to stand up. Absolutely incredible. But it is a pricey coaster to get. Nearly $80.... $20 for parking, $16 for admission..... And then something like $42 for a ride pass....! But I don't think I've laughed so much on a coaster in the longest time.
Great to hear!

And what about the thread title question?

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Coaster > Phoenix by a long shot.
I haven't taken the time yet to make a definitive top 10 list, but it'll be there (also gonna have to rank Galaxyland Mindbender up there!)

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
It was fun but it's tame. No real airtime, maybe just one hill? I'm glad I got to track it down but having ridden the PNE coaster a few days earlier as well as the woodies at Silverwood it seemed a bit of a let down. Maybe had my trip gone in the opposite order I would have liked it better, the bar wouldn't have been set so high.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
It was fun but it's tame. No real airtime, maybe just one hill? I'm glad I got to track it down but having ridden the PNE coaster a few days earlier as well as the woodies at Silverwood it seemed a bit of a let down. Maybe had my trip gone in the opposite order I would have liked it better, the bar wouldn't have been set so high.
I know well what you mean by order affecting one’s appreciation of a coaster.

But I’d always heard that the airtime in the back rows as Classic Coaster completes the turnaround and whips down the drop — was legendary.