What's new

Crazy Bats VR Coaster - Phantasialand

Jared

Hyper Poster
If it were, for instance, a trackless dark ride, are these capable of moving in a vertical lift, similar to Transformers or River Quest etc? Would be neat to have one which was loaded on ground level and then descended into the show building below.

Yeah, the lift idea on a trackless dark ride works. I believe ETF did it on one at Prater if I remember correctly. It might not be ETF, but there was definitely a trackless dark ride with a lift up and down.

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
I honestly wouldn't care that much about technical milestones in a dark-ride. Maus au chocolat is a great example of this, it's a very well done execution of techniques that were available for a long time (even though the projectors could use a higher resolution upgrade). I think the ETF trackless system or even another suspended darkride would work very well as a Geister Rikscha replacement as long as the overall experience can math the Phantasialand-standard.

Me personally, I'd love to see a lovechild of Droomvlucht and Vliegende Hollander, themed towards an Expedition through the Himalaya in quest of an Tibetan monastery or something. With actual snow hitting your face, thunderstorms happening around you and crevasses cracking beneath your feet.

But I also agree with the assessment that the "old" half of Mexico requires an overhaul, and considering how Geister Rikscha is incorporated within Colorado's station building, I could see this being a 3-4 year general overhaul project, which would explain Phantasialands reasoning behind closing Geister Rikscha this year even though their newest ride will probably not make it in time to make up for the loss.

I think it would make the most sense to start with the Colorado/Rikscha building due to a couple of things. First of all, I believe that Colorado is here to stay for a long time, at least the next 15 years. But as it stands, it's not well integrated into the Mexican area - because it didn't use to be part of it - and park officials have stated before that they are not happy with the location of Colorado's entrance. It's also located towards the back of the park, so it's blocking a potential construction site exit. And to rip out Geister Rikscha, they need back access to the building as well, since I believe ripping out the thing will be much less troublesome than adding in the replacement ride. Meaning: Mexico needs to be finished before they can replace Geister Rikscha, since it's possible that the construction site will render most of the chinese area unaccessible for guests, and I don't believe Phantasialand wants two out of it's six areas to be under major construction.

So what would they do with Colorado in the meantime? Honestly, not much. Give the Rockwork a refreshment like Deep in Africa has received it, give it new comfier trains and redesign the station building to match the Mexican theme. Including a new name, because Colorado... well, we all know the geography-issues. I believe the heavywork on the station building can be pulled off during the off-season in 2020, so that Colorado wouldn't even have to close for a single day. And of course, move the entrance towards the front. Park officials have stated before that they are unhappy with Colorado's entrance location, yet acknowledge how there isn't much they can do.

What will have to close though is the Silverado-theatre. It's the most outdated out of all the theatres in the park and also the least effcient in terms of space consumption. It leaves some unusable space towards the back end of the park while in itself being overly large, so I believe this one will be scrapped entire and replaced by an all new building in a location as far back as possible to eliminate the narrow populated pathway in front of it - that would give Phantasialand the opportunity to create a nice open plaza in front of Colorado Adventure. I also believe that a Silverado-replacement will house a replacement-location for Fantissima. Yes, the Temple building has received some upgrades recently, but Fantissima is expensive, and the overall state of the building has become close to unpresentable. I don't think it means that much. The days of that building are numbered, but it won't go until Fantissima can go somewhere else. The Silverado-theatre is accessible from outside the park, it has a large footprint and pretty much needs a ground-up replacement. It's the perfect (and really the only) fit. It also moves Fantissima very close towards the two main hotels, which just makes a lot of sense.

This could probably be finished towards the beginning of the 2021-season - Silverado being an all-season construction site, same for the Geister Rikscha half of the building, but all the areas that can't be worked on while Colorado operates would only be off-season construction.

By that time, Geister Rikscha will be long gone and the above ground part of the new station building might even be finished already. That leaves the underground space to receive it's replacement dark ride, which - unfortunately - will probably require the entirety of China to be closed since they'd have to rip the plaza out. However, the park seems to prepare for that as River Quest will most likely have received it's new entrance in Klugheim by then, and Hotel Ling Bao is far enough off to the side that it won't be affected by the heavy construction too much. Also, since the Colorado entrance has been relocated, that pathway could serve the hotel as a park entrance towards the renovated part of Mexico. It's not going to be pretty, but I don't feel like there's much better options unfortunately. Who knows, they might even close Ling Bao for one season entirely (even though I doubt it).

Since China would be blocked off entirely, that would also give Phantasialand opportunity to work on the other parts of China that are not directly affected by Geister Rikscha. For instance, the food stands located towards the China-Mexico pathway within the last remaining building of the Silver mine could receive a complete overhaul. The vacant building could either be scrapped entire to allow for a much wider pathway since it's always densely crowded, it could be used for another higher-tier restaurant or it could even be turned into a small indoor-ride. I honestly don't know, but I feel like something will be done with that during the next few years since at the moment it's blocking precious space.

Feng Ju Palace might also receive an overhaul with improved theming and pre-show, but I think the ride is there to stay. It compliments China as a family-oriented area of the park, even though it's not revolutionary or anything.

So if all goes well and my predictions are somewhat correct, we could see two theme areas having received an extensive refreshing, including the opening of a world-class dark ride by 2023.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
As the only official news we have is that 'they will demolish something': It could also be the Silverado Theatre. It's old and it's position doesn't use the space and it's surroundings to the max.
True its certainly a building I think that is on the demolition list for the future - its outdated, ugly, thematically out of place and the space could be more efficiently utilised.
However Jump is back for 2019, and they just introduced 2 months ago a new Wintertraum show in there (which they built a whole new backdrop set piece for) so it will still be around for a few more years presumably. Can't see a replacement theatre jumping up out of nowhere before April.

Of course its difficult to predict anything without knowing what will actually happen.
But I'd could see a new indoor queueline for Colorado Adventure being put inside the part of Geister's station building that CA's maintenance shed sits on top of - Colorado would have a new entrance from the main street, directly beside its exit. And that path along the back where the current entrance is could be closed off and be used as the access route for the construction site.
Flattening and going through the current Colorado queue is the only way I could see them potentially avoiding the need for any disruption to the area and hotel.
Closing that path would also pave the way for the removal of Silverado in the future.
The rest of Geister's station would be demolished and together the space of CA's current queue they could dig down to expand the underground hall, and build a larger above ground station/showbuilding (depending on whether the ride is on multiple levels).

Then again there's the unused remainder of the Silbermine Hall/China Snack outlets opposite Geister which presumably will be redeveloped - who knows though whether it can somehow be incorporated into a new dark ride or would simply be a stand alone refurbishment as part of refreshing that area.

Will be interesting to see, if something does, what happens in the coming months.

Including a new name, because Colorado... well, we all know the geography-issues.
Colorado Adventure's name is fine as part of the Mexico themed area. The Colorado river flows through Mexico. Plus on the gates between it and Chiapas they put references to a "Colorado Mining Company", and in the queue of Chiapas is a further reference to a mining company.

Last edited:

Ethan

Strata Poster
I would rather see Colorado Adventure get a Himalayan theme if I'm honest, I think with new trains and new theming, it could work really well. I'm thinking something similar to Mammut/Everest. An issue with that though is the part where Chiapas and CA pass over, as I'm not sure how they'd blend the two themes.

Lofty

CF Legend
Alright, Trump. Calm it.

I highly doubt that they'll retheme the entire Western area due to Chiapas only being a few years old - yes, I know it's Mexican themed, and the rest is USA but those two are much easier to blend together than Himalayan and Mexican.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Not saying it will happen, I just think it would be interesting to see. The Chiapas wall is a good barrier between the two parts of Mexico, so except for the area immediately surrounding Chiapas' first lift, I think it would transition nicely. I'm sure the park could find a way to do it though.

I mean, if you just remade the rockwork and painted it a darker brown/grey and some snow, I think it would look nice. It would also go well with the prayer flags outside of GR, which do seem to hint a future Himalayan theme if you ask me. The second part of Colorado Adventure used to be outside anyway...
59300478587da_colofotoanlage1996.jpg.ef3c16b14ca29dcb120b383975d8fa9f.jpg

So I reckon if they demolished that disgusting shed that covers the area shown above, and instead built more rocks and mountains to act as theming and sound barriers, it could look pretty good. Would also be more similar to the original concept model they made for the coaster. If anyone could find that image I'd love to see it again and I can't seem to find it on Google.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Rode it on Saturday and it's in a pretty bad way. As usual - it was a walk on.

It's a really long ride, so there's no doubt Phantasialand can build something special in that space.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Whenever I see pictures showing the layout (like what Lofty posted on the previous page), I'm always shocked at how short, for a lack of a better word, it is. It feels so much longer.

Also, put me in the camp of people not realising Colorado Adventure had a Mexican revelance - did not even think about the Colorado River. Guess that says a lot about my geographical knowledge...

Though, in fairness, it does still feel quite out of place compared to the rest of Mexico. It'd be nice to see it tie in more, but by no means something essential right now.

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
Not saying it will happen, I just think it would be interesting to see. The Chiapas wall is a good barrier between the two parts of Mexico, so except for the area immediately surrounding Chiapas' first lift, I think it would transition nicely. I'm sure the park could find a way to do it though.

I mean, if you just remade the rockwork and painted it a darker brown/grey and some snow, I think it would look nice. It would also go well with the prayer flags outside of GR, which do seem to hint a future Himalayan theme if you ask me. The second part of Colorado Adventure used to be outside anyway...
59300478587da_colofotoanlage1996.jpg.ef3c16b14ca29dcb120b383975d8fa9f.jpg

So I reckon if they demolished that disgusting shed that covers the area shown above, and instead built more rocks and mountains to act as theming and sound barriers, it could look pretty good. Would also be more similar to the original concept model they made for the coaster. If anyone could find that image I'd love to see it again and I can't seem to find it on Google.

I mean, I know it's located across the pond but I really don't see Phantasialand doing something that everybody with a little bit of coaster-knowledge will identify as a weak Expedition Everest knock-off. I feel like Colorado does really well compared to DLP's Big Thunder Mountain because it's just the better ride (the airtime back row first drop, holy ****), and a canyon-theme works with the constricted space, as in it's still imposing to the viewer when he's surrounded by rocks and steep cliffs left and right, because that's what a canyon is. Everest is not an outstanding ride, but it's panoramic appearance is unprecedented. It just wouldn't work within the available space.

Also, it would make a potential overhaul much more expensive since they pretty much have to scrap everything, and an entire season without Colorado due to construction, just to reopen the same ride a year later with completely different looks? Does not sound very Phantasia to me to be honest.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I mean, I know it's located across the pond but I really don't see Phantasialand doing something that everybody with a little bit of coaster-knowledge will identify as a weak Expedition Everest knock-off. I feel like Colorado does really well compared to DLP's Big Thunder Mountain because it's just the better ride (the airtime back row first drop, holy :emoji_poop:), and a canyon-theme works with the constricted space, as in it's still imposing to the viewer when he's surrounded by rocks and steep cliffs left and right, because that's what a canyon is. Everest is not an outstanding ride, but it's panoramic appearance is unprecedented. It just wouldn't work within the available space.

Also, it would make a potential overhaul much more expensive since they pretty much have to scrap everything, and an entire season without Colorado due to construction, just to reopen the same ride a year later with completely different looks? Does not sound very Phantasia to me to be honest.
Completely missed my point, as usual with you. I never said Everest was a top tier coaster, and not once did I insinuate that Colorado Adventure should be a rip off of Everest, with a disco yeti and all that. Mammut has a similar sort of snowy mountain theme, do people hate on that? No. Plus CA is actually a good coaster unlike other models of Mine Train. A

Also, who said the coaster would be closed an entire season? I also never actually said it would have to be identical to Everest anyway, so I think you're at risk of strawmanning here. If the park can completely tear apart and rebuild the rocks in Africa, I think they could do the same to Colorado Adventure over a couple of closed seasons if they really wanted to.

Georgie-M

Mega Poster
Colorado getting a refurb feels like a matter of time, and with the current set up it desperately needs it. In fact, I'd argue that the transition of the China Town area to a more Tibetan style was not just made in preparation of the next big ride but also to make a rockwork-heavy ride like Colorado feel like a more natural part of the area. Let's not forget how much Phantasia love rockwork in general either!

Phantasiastisch

Mega Poster
Colorado Adventure fits perfectly in Mexico and hopefully it stays that way. No Hymalian theme necessary.

As Ethan said, the Chiapas wall is now a sound wall and with even more rocks the area is very sound-absorbing. The light hall can therefore just go away and that's how it creates an open feeling (as it was before). The connection with Chiapas can undoubtedly also give a more open and coherent feeling with small adjustments.

A replacement of Silverado Theatre within a few years creates also more space. More theming over here and Mexico is completed. That's what I assume is the most logical and appropriate way to redevelop this area. :)

If China Town must be broken up then that will be true, Phantasialand really does not turn his hand over for that. There aren't any complications they can't handle. They have probably think about it for months (or longer) and they probably found a schedule or way of organizing to make it as nice as possible for the visitors.

EDIT

I'll take it a step further. In addition to breaking down the hall (red), I hope they will break off this piece of wall (blue). Then you have an opener Mexico where Colorado better connects to Chiapas. This also offers the chance that the walkway (green) against the wall would be used more.
IMG_20190115_195954.jpg

Last edited:

Ireeb

Mega Poster
Ah, the annual "Phantasialand is going to demolish XXX" rumor.
Where's the "TotNH is going to be demolished" rumor? Usually that comes up every year as well.
There have been so many rumors about PHL demolishing this or that, I really wouldn't bring it up until it's confirmed. TotNH has been demolished about 20 times yet, according to rumors, but it's still standing. Of course, these attractions will go at some point, that's how it works in PHL, but without official confirmation it's kinda pointless because these "PHL is going to demolish XXX" rumors are around so much.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Oh Phantasialand threads and their weirdly specific details. :rolleyes::p Never even thought about that specific bit of wall before haha.

I actually like the shed as it makes it a bit harder to see where you're going which makes it more amusing, but then I am the one person in the world who likes coasters in the dark so.....
I don't really think CA needs much doing to it apart from a tart up it's great as it is. Hoping they keep the GR area as an underground dark ride as it's a good use of space (and a space free from weather etc), if not then whatever goes there needs to be good.
Ah, the annual "Phantasialand is going to demolish XXX" rumor.
Where's the "TotNH is going to be demolished" rumor? Usually that comes up every year as well.
There have been so many rumors about PHL demolishing this or that, I really wouldn't bring it up until it's confirmed. TotNH has been demolished about 20 times yet, according to rumors, but it's still standing. Of course, these attractions will go at some point, that's how it works in PHL, but without official confirmation it's kinda pointless because these "PHL is going to demolish XXX" rumors are around so much.
Oh that one has been and gone multiple times in the last 6 months already haha.

Does the silverado theatre have an entrance into Matamba?

MrRC

Mega Poster
My source is telling, Vekoma has sold an type of rollercoaster (never sold before) to Phantasialand with track that goes underground and above ground (sound plausible for this location) and it will contain a lot of things that make riders believe they somewhere else, very immersive (sorry don't know if this is the right word)

I don't know if its sitting / inverted / or ..... ?

Sitting seems the most likely option.

Phantasiastisch

Mega Poster
I actually like the shed as it makes it a bit harder to see where you're going which makes it more amusing, but then I am the one person in the world who likes coasters in the dark so.....

I like the dark part too, but In my previous post I meant the first hall which is not dark.

The hall where it is pitch black is very amusing as you are shaking from the left to the right, not knowing where you're going to. It is the first hall I don't like, it's not dark and you see a square and empty box with steel constructions. This shed is not what I would call a pleasant for the eye and it's not to Phantasialand standards. So I hope they get rid of the first hall, retheme this area and keep the second -dark- hall.

My source is telling, Vekoma has sold an type of rollercoaster (never sold before) to Phantasialand with track that goes underground and above ground (sound plausible for this location) and it will contain a lot of things that make riders believe they somewhere else, very immersive (sorry don't know if this is the right word)

I don't know if its sitting / inverted / or ..... ?

Sitting seems the most likely option.

I heard from a good source that Vekoma has sold to Phantasialand a kind of coaster with chairs in flying position. A part will be located underground, including a launch and a big part will be above ground. It will probably receive kind of immersive industrial theming. That's all I know. ;)

Last edited: