Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phantasialand - Old rumours/ unbuilt attractions

Discussion in 'General Discussions & Opinions' started by chainedbanana, Jul 23, 2017.

1. CSLKennyNI

CSLKennyNI Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Only last year they created a proper themed transition between Klugheim and China. Along the side of Feng Ju Palace and River Quest they created new rockwork with bamboo growing out of it and new lanterns with Chinese symbols on them. The old River Quest entrance has been painted red to blend in with the Chinese colour scheme. So, a part from the lack of a decent themed transition between China and Colorado Adventure, the area pretty much is 360 degress themed now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hotel Ling Bao, this new Chinese theming and the fact they are creating a new entrance for River Quest from Klugheim itself shows China Town is here to stay. The buildings are made from authentic materials and all the roof tiles are imported from China. The hotel is actually the largest Chinese building outside of Asia, while the area itself is the largest collection of Chinese buildings outside of Asia itself.

Yes, a few months ago Freizeitparkcheck.de claimed that they were told by a "reliable source" that China will be the next area to be refurbished (including the replacement of Geister Rikscha). The refurb would include a slight adjustment/retheme of the area and hotel to make it Tibetan. Whether there is any truth in that remains of course to be seen.

Personally I can't see them going for a Tibetan theme. While Tibet is considered a part of China and therefore it wouldn't be totally out of the question for the area. However Tibet's status is extremely controversial. Would they really be so culturally insensitive? I can't see it happening. I think it will simply be a refresh of the area keeping the Chinese theme - similar to the Berlin area refurbishment between 2010 - 2012.

But as said before everything is speculation at this point. Until their is any solid evidence we can pointlessly spend ages going around in circles discussing whether the next project is China or Temple of the Nighthawk. With Rookburgh opening next year there is a possibility that this may be the last season for whatever leaves next so we might know soon enough what the next project will be (with Race for Atlantis it was known around November time that it was closing in January 2016).

2. Phantasiastisch

Phantasiastisch Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    But that's the point... I think transform the hotel is easier than we think.

The roofs and certainly the structure aren't a big issue I guess. The roofs of the pathway and some other roofing on the sitting areas etc in the garden could stay like they are but they should get purple colored, like the foodstalls opposite Geister Rikscha who have a purple roof, which give me more a mystery feeling than Chinese... So it would work, I guess.
    Screenshot_20180310-181540.png
    Another colourpatern for the whole building would make it also very different. The only really Chinese looking part that would be hard to retheme are the roofs of the entrance and hallway.
    Screenshot_20180310-190108.png
    About the theme area itself:
    I think in the near future Fen Ju Palace will get removed too... It blocks a potential shortcut pathway to River Quest and it separates RQ from the rest of Klugheim. Maybe when Fen Ju Palace got removed, there will be a pathway straight to that new entrance (picture below ) which normally will be used at the start of the season.
    Screenshot_20180310-190411.png
    The thing is with China Town that it looks like the most props and decorations were just in their entirety seem to be placed with a crane (picture below ). That gives me the thought that it's also easy to remove it. While in the other areas everything looks absorbed in the environment. The China theming itself gives me an outdated feeling too in comparison to the the other areas.
    Screenshot_20180310-190910.png

3. CSLKennyNI

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    What? Did you not read my post explaining why the China theme is not going anywhere?

Here it is again just incase...

The map is stylized and not a true representation of the roofs there. Only the edges are a shade of purple and have been for a long time before Klugheim.
    The Ling Bao hotel only recently received a massive refurbishment and the buildings were entirely repainted. Given how far in advance they masterplan they wouldn't waste money on it if it were to be rethemed.
    Why would they move River Quest's entrance from China into the Mystery area if the China area was going to be rethemed to Mystery?

The back of Feng Ju Palace has been extensively themed and repainted as it faces Klugheim. And as I mentioned along the side facing River Quest it received new Chinese theming last year. That will have cost a lot of money so there is no way Feng Ju Palace is being removed.
    River Quest's new entrance at Raik is perfectly accessible there's no problem there.
    With Klugheim they created a new gateway in between Feng Ju Palace and China Snack to future proof for when the Snack stall and Geister is replaced and the street between them is closed for construction.

Overall, the China theme is staying. End of story.
    The outdated aspects will be modernised - the main aspects being Geister getting replaced and Feng Ju refurbished - that is all.

Ethan likes this.
  4. Ethan

Ethan Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Who Knows...
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    After reading CSLKennyNI's post I'd say China isn't going anywhere. Thinking about it, moving RQ's entrance and all the other things just wouldn't make sense if China was going. Plus didn't they recently paint the China buildings in the actual park, not just the hotel? A Tibetan theme would be nice but I guess that won't happen, but even that is more likely than Mystery taking it over...

I'd say although the rides are bad, China is a really pretty area of the park tbh.

CSLKennyNI likes this.
  5. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    What the China area needs is Geister ripping out and being replaced with the terracotta army dark ride from Fantawild - that would be the absolute tits.

There's so many obscene Chinese themed dark rides across the Fantawild/Oriental Heritage parks that Phantasialand could easily do something along the lines of - the theme itself is actually really wide so I'd love to see them do it properly.

But yh, with the hotel there they're never going to get rid of the whole area - it just wouldn't make sense. I think it'll be refurbed either next or after Temple of the Nighthawk, but the theme will be here to stay.

CSLKennyNI likes this.
  6. chainedbanana

chainedbanana Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Fluch Von Novgorod
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Is there any possibility that the park could expand the park into the car park behind China town? even if its just a show building for a large dark ride?

7. CSLKennyNI

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
  8. chainedbanana

Best Coaster:
    Fluch Von Novgorod
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Even though China town doesn't have any outstanding attractions - I still think it's a very viable area - almost equivalent to a Disney downtown - it's Phantasia's Hotel/Eating/Shopping 'district' - Ling Bao and it's surrounding gardens are stunning, they just need to give whole area some TLC and a facelift because it has excellent theming foundations!

Could they change the are to a broader 'Pan-asian' theme - along the lines of Chessingtons old 'Mystic East' - In that way I'd love them to expand into Japanese Mythology - and perhaps retheme their ghost train to Yokai and Yurei folklore!

9. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    It would feel a bit odd having a delightfully themed area with no attraction to complement it. China Town doesn't need a lot of attractions, just one good one would be better than a couple of mediocres. Ling Bao really wraps up that area nicely too.

10. chainedbanana

Best Coaster:
    Fluch Von Novgorod
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    A lot of Theme park hotels have themes that aren't represented within the park itself - thats nothing new, so to be honest it wouldn't be that odd to have Ling bao without a Chinese representation in the park!
    But to be honest I think China town should stay with a couple of non-headliner attractions, albeit a replacement for the ghost train and a revamped madhouse also think of the 7 (or is it 8) Dragon mascots. be shame to loose one!

11. Crazycoaster

Crazycoaster Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Nemesis
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Coaster Count:
    I honestly don’t think the chinese part of the park needs changing at all? Maybe fix up/replace geister rikshaw, but it’s a nice area of the park to chill and watch that acrobatic show. The building containing temple of the night hawk/hollywood boat ride is far more of an issue of something that needs to be updated.

Not every part of the park has to be crammed with attractions and I like that about the china town area.