What's new

Phantasialand Improvements for 2018

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Part 2 of the Bamboo Restaurant renovation looking at how they put together the new Asian food offering. As usual for Phantasialand when it comes to research for theming or food, the staff went out on research trips to the countries in question.

One Chef. Four Countries. Phantastic Variety.

Bamboo-Kulinarik-00136.jpg

It smells wonderful. Fresh coriander and ginger. A touch of chili tickles the nose. On the stove cooks Pho Ga, chicken soup from Vietnam. A few steps further, fresh fish and deliciously soft rice are being used to create delicious sushi. And in the middle: a highly concentrated kitchen crew. For months, the team has been working towards this moment. For the first guests are going to taste the new dishes in the Asian restaurant Bamboo.
Gallerie.jpg

"We wanted to create something new and offer our guests the real taste of Asia - and at the same time expand our own horizons beyond China," says Torsten Hoffmeister, gastronomy director at Phantasialand. "We now offer authentic cuisine from four Asian countries: Japan, Vietnam, Thailand and China. Japan, for example, is in vogue and there is so much more to discover besides sushi. Vietnam stands for excellent soups, Thailand for fruity creations. All dishes at Bamboo are very close to the original. We have also completely overhauled the Chinese cuisine - for surprising new taste experiences that go far beyond the usual offer. "

Bamboo-Kulinarik-00873.jpg

After a complete refurbishment, the restaurant Bamboo doesn't just look different. However, it was a long way to the new taste sensations. And that literally.
"Cooking Euro-Asian food is not that difficult. But authentic Asian cooking is a real challenge, "says Nana David. And she knows what she's talking about. After all, she is responsible for good taste at Phantasialand - as a product developer in the catering department. And for the authentic Asian cuisine in the restaurant Bamboo her no where was too far. She travelled just over 9,000 kilometers - and had lunch with her colleague Stephan Wisniewski in various street food markets in Thailand.

"There is a lot of cooking with ginger and chilli. The salads are not dressed with vinegar and oil, but with fish sauce and citric acid. And the pork skewers were awesome, "says Nana David. "That's where the marinade makes it. This has a very different flavor than ours. I have seen and tasted many dishes there and have taken many ideas that we have implemented in the Bamboo restaurant." But many things were too much for the European palate: "I ordered a curry there once. I told the cook, I do not want it spicy - and then had six dried chili peppers in it. And that was not the sharp version for the Thai people, "laughs Nana.
Bamboo-Kulinarik-00884.jpg

Stephan Wisniewski also had his taste buds challenged in Thailand. For example, when he got to Durian: "The pulp has a banana yellow color and when you bite it, the texture is very pudding-like. And the taste is somewhere between sweet and onion," he says and still makes a face. Glad that he has left the stinking durian fruit in Thailand. The trip was definitely worth it he says. "It was really exciting and always surprising when I tried something. The food is just a lot more authentic. In Thailand they try to get the most out of every product and to make it as delicious as possible. "As delicious as possible - this can only be a good approach for a new restaurant!

"Some of us fly to Thailand, others visit China or Vietnam. We all read books. We visit restaurants throughout Germany and in major European cities such as London, where the Asian cuisine is very large. And then everyone lets their ideas flow into the new recipes, "says gastronomy director Torsten Hoffmeister of how he and his team have created the new delicacies for the Bamboo restaurant.
Bamboo-Kulinarik-00834-1.jpg

That was sometimes easier said than done. Because authentic Asian cooking also means cooking with authentic ingredients. With Thai basil, the miso paste of soybeans, mint and the garlic sprout. And sometimes it got complicated.
"The four Asian country kitchens in Bamboo are so close to the original that the ingredients are already very special. The garlic shoot, for example, is similar to leek, but much harder to get. For this we have grazed countless Japanese stores in Dusseldorf and then opened a new supplier. "

The new ingredients could then start in the kitchen. Various curries for Thailand, Japanese sushi in wonderful combinations and the Pho's for Vietnam with their inserts of sprouts, lemongrass and shiitake mushrooms. For China, the team processed tofu, grilled soybean leaves and lotus roots.
Bamboo-Kulinarik-00823.jpg

For product developer Nana David it was a great honour to develop new recipes for Bamboo.
"When I started my apprenticeship here in Phantasialand in 2008, I started in the Asian area. And it is still very close to my hear. Many people love the Asian cuisine, especially because it is so diverse. You can cook vegetarian and vegan, but also a lot of delicious things with meat or fish. One thing I can say: I'll never get enough of that, "she laughs.
Bamboo-Kulinarik-00017.jpg

Bamboo-Kulinarik-00022.jpg

Bamboo-Kulinarik-00012.jpg
Bamboo-Kulinarik-6881.jpg

On the opening evening, the nervousness in the Bamboo restaurant is almost palpable. The first guests are right there. Nana David calls for slate plates to serve, Torsten Hoffmeister pushes the sushi to the right position. In their faces, the tense question is asked: How will guests respond to what so many people have worked so hard on to achieve? After all, nothing is as it was before here in the Bamboo restaurant - everything has changed, from the interior, the atmosphere and the kitchen. The moment of truth: The last pot finds its way to the buffet, just before the doors open...
Bamboo-Kulinarik-00236.jpg

The live cooking stations in the Bamboo restaurant complete the buffet - and whet your appetite as you watch them. Can it be rice noodles from the wok or rather artfully roasted from the hot plate, the Asian Teppanyaki grill? No matter if it's meat, fish or spicy pasta: everything is freshly prepared in front of the guests. And for dessert, something very special is offered: Teppanyaki ice cream! Here everyone can choose their favorite ingredient - and then enjoy Thai-style ice cream.
Bamboo-Kulinarik-00159.jpg

And the guests? Let the modern Asian atmosphere take over and enjoy the wide selection of four unique country kitchens. Crispy fish balls, smoked tofu, pork with garlic stick, salad of green papaya ... Torsten Hoffmeister sees only enthusiastic faces. And relaxes slowly. He is happy that the guests are happy - and proud of what his team has created in recent months.
"You will not find another restaurant with such diversity. Each dish is full of taste, very authentic, it is nothing off the shelf. It's what we wanted to achieve: a real experience.

peep

CF Legend
Urgh, reading that just made me so hungry. Think I'll have to check this restaurant out when I finally get back to Phantasialand.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
The last part of the behind the scenes looks at the renovation of Ling Bao's Bamboo restaurant. This time its all about Ice Cream!

ICE CREAM ROLLS: ICE COOL TEPPANYAKI ICE

header_icecream-1120x630.jpg

Small ice crystals shimmer on the horizontal steel plate. Fresh fruit, crunchy chocolate and crunchy biscuits are waiting to be used. Slowly, Robel Bruk pours liquid milk mix onto the cold plate - adding banana slices and caramel sauce. The cook from Phantasialand makes a very special ice cream. Ice that comes in rolls instead of a ball.

Teppanyaki ice cream is the name of the creamy creation from Thailand. The sweet rolls are an indispensable part of the street food markets. Every few meters sweeping spatulas on fruit and biscuits settle on the mobile stalls - for fine ice cream with crispy and sweet bits. A dessert made for the completely redesigned Asian restaurant Bamboo at the Hotel Ling Bao in Phantasialand. Here guests can experience four unique country kitchens. And for a fabulous finish to this taste trip guests can enjoy authentic Thai Ice Cream Rolls. But first of all back to the beginning.
Eisteppanyaki-Robel-4145.jpg

Eisteppanyaki-Robel-4159.jpg

"Hold the spatula a little steeper and then push forward ... stabilize the whole thing with the other spatula ... yes, almost, but that took a little too long now. Then the roles break apart." Guido Schmitz, director of the German Ice Academy, gives the cooks from the Phantasialand helpful tips. In the Westerwald they learn to make the perfect ice cream roll. For this, the two spatulas must be held properly. Because on the minus 30 degrees cold plate is they always have to keep moving! The ice cream has to be moved around repeatedly so that it does not freeze too early. At the same time the chefs are mincing the ingredients such as fruit, chocolate and biscuits and putting them in the milk mix.
Eisteppanyaki-Robel-4183-1536x1024.jpg

"With the first roles, I've already realized that this is a real challenge," says Robel Bruk. "Especially because the plate is so freezing cold. You have to work quickly and stay focused. Once distracted, the mass on one side is already firmer than the other. And the trick is that it has to be even. "After all, the Ice Cream Roll should end up with the same creamy consistency along the entire length. With finely chopped biscuits and fruits for the extra taste.
Eisteppanyaki-Robel-9300-768x648.jpg

Teppanyaki are dishes of Japanese cuisine prepared on a steel plate, the "teppan". This steel plate is usually hot. Then fish, meat and vegetables are prepared in front of the guests. And in the Bamboo restaurant there is a teppanyaki grill, but there is also the ice-cold counterpart, including the matching artful show - for fresh and individual teppanyaki ice cream.

When Robel distributes the ingredients evenly in the ice, into a large rectangle. And then roll them up using the spatula to make fantastic Ice Cream Rolls. Whether with basil pesto, a green tea kiwi creation or at least classics such as chocolate or strawberry: The teppanyaki ice cream is the limit of imagination. Assuming that one masters the art of rolling - something few people in Germany have, says Guido Schmitz.
Eisteppanyaki-Robel-4141-1536x1024.jpg

"There are only a few ice-roll stores in Germany so far. These are ice cream parlors specialized in teppanyaki ice cream. But in the gastronomy, so in restaurants, the Ice Cream Rolls are a real rarity. The Phantasialand is one of the first to implement this and is in the trendsetting role. "
Eisteppanyaki-Robel-9017-1536x1024.jpg

The fact that the teppanyaki ice cream in the buffet restaurant of the hotel Ling Bao is such a fancy, is for Robel Bruk again a very special incentive. "Personally, it's great for me to learn how to make teppanyaki ice cream. I always tell my friends and family what we do in Phantasialand, which they find exciting. And besides, I can show my colleagues, who are not here today, something new - and be a teacher myself."
Eisteppanyaki-Robel-8990-1536x1024.jpg

Today, the initially so stubborn Ice Cream Rolls are no longer a problem for Robel Bruk. In the new restaurant Bamboo he swings the spatula as if he has always done so. Behind him, delicacies like salmon teriaky land on the hot teppanyaki grill, and he takes care of the frozen counterparts for the dessert. Even the soft tapping of the spatula indicates that there is something special here - freshly made ice cream according to your personal taste! Right on the icy teppanyaki, everyone can choose their favorite ingredients and watch them being artfully rolled up in no time. To a seductive ice cream, which melts slowly on the tongue - and makes you feel like trying the next creative variety.
Eisteppanyaki-Robel-9061_2-1536x1024.jpg

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Another new Phantasialand Magazine Article; this time about the new Waffles in the newly refurbished/rebuilt Waffle Bakery in the Berlin area this year.

The Perfect Waffle
Titelbild.jpg

Crispy outside. Inside fluffy. And always fresh from the iron. That's the perfect waffle! Just like those in our waffle bakery. In the Berlin street, there are our legendary Belgian waffles.
Everything is just right here: from recipe to temperature to baking time. And Klaus Foetzki took care of them at one point. Today he is responsible for the quality assurance of sweets and bakery products throughout Phantasialand. And even then, more than 30 years ago, he invested all his experience as a skilled baker and developed the in-house recipe for our waffles. Since 1986, the large waffle iron with the daily fresh dough unswervingly turns its rounds in the waffle bakery. After exactly 2:24 minutes, the waffle is perfect: slightly browned and crispy on the outside and warm and fluffy on the inside. A pleasure that has shaped the Phantasialand for decades.
Waffelb%C3%A4ckerei-4514-1536x1024.jpg

Waffelb%C3%A4ckerei-4888-1536x1024.jpg

"We always want to present something new to our guests. In this case: the classic waffle in new variants ", says Nana David, product developer for gastronomy in Phantasialand. And what sounds banal at first, is in fact not that easy. Because not every topping fits on a hot waffle, explains Nana David. "The waffle must stay crispy on the outside and must not get soggy. And she has to stay fluffy inside. The toppings should not crush them. "
Waffelb%C3%A4ckerei-4503-1536x1024.jpg

Always freshly made to order, our waffles are already warm and irresistible - and thanks to the new toppings for the delight of all individuals! For the little ones, there is now chocolate and cream. Of course there are ones only with powdered sugar. Classic waffles with hot cherries and cream. Or, for individualists: according to your own taste. For example, if it is not sweet enough for you, you can top your waffle with vanilla ice cream, chocolate chips and caramel. Or with cream, strawberries and chocolate sauce.
Waffelb%C3%A4ckerei-4518-1536x1024.jpg

"There's a bit of Phantasialand in every bite," smiles Nana David. "That's why we want to create something wonderful, that it only exists with us." And we do not stop there for the
toppings for our waffles! Even the waffle bakery itself looks better than ever before after a loving rebuild and transformation - thanks to authentic decor and loving handcraft.
Waffelb%C3%A4ckerei_Fliesen-7533-1536x1024.jpg

Waffelb%C3%A4ckerei_Fliesen-7513-1536x1024.jpg
Waffelb%C3%A4ckerei_Fliesen-7512-1536x1024.jpg

Our Art Nouveau tiles were created in the same way as they were produced around 1900 in European tile factories. This is what GOLEM Kunst- und Baukeramik specializes in. Their painters manually filled the floral patterns of each individual tile with paint - using a so-called "little croissant". Similar to a pipette, you can use it to fill the colour glaze into the finest pits. A stamped relief in the tiles prevents the different shades from coming together - even during the glaze firing in the oven, which is around 1000 degrees high.

Tile for tile, blossom for blossom the Art Nouveau tiles give the waffle bakery a very special atmosphere. Because they have the character of real craftsmanship, love of detail and thanks to the specially selected colours as unique as our Berlin. In which the new counter of the waffle bakery with its ornaments in the sweep of Art Nouveau has become a real eye-catcher - and the inspiration for all delectable mouths with a huge selection of colourful and fresh toppings.
Waffelb%C3%A4ckerei-6464_mitFlare-1536x1024.jpg

Unique 1920s flair. Fantastic toppings. And waffles, so delicious that you have to try them for yourself. Because in this case a bite says more than a thousand words...
20180324_114813.jpg

Video on YouTube:

Last edited:

Phantasiastisch

Mega Poster
I don't know who of you speaks or understands German but Funfairblog has uploaded a new video in which he walks through the park with Manuela Löffelhardt, wife of Robert G. Löffelhardt,
one of the owners of Phantasialand.

For real Phantasialand fans it is a nice vlog to watch.

Phantasiastisch

Mega Poster
Double post:

Tonight a German documentary "Weltrekord! Hinter den Kulissen: Das Phantasialand" (In English: "World record! behind the scenes: Phantasialand") will be broadcast on WDR-Fernsehen.

You can already view this report NOW via the link below:
https://www1.wdr.de/mediathek/video...inter-den-kulissen-das-phantasialand-100.html

Even though you do not understand what is being said, the beautiful images of the gorgeous Phantasialand are more than enough.

"Images say more than a thousand words." ;)

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Phantasialand have announced a new promotional offer for this summer. Pay once, Visit Twice. If anyone is visiting the park in July and August you can bring your entry ticket to the tram stall on Kaiserplatz, Berlin or the entrances to get a ticket to visit again during July or August for free!
xIMG-20180630-WA0000.thumb.jpg.c5016eb4aaa450966db877d27b4cf2f5.jpg.pagespeed.ic.lx7Ulo2nMw.webp

https://www.phantasialand.de/en/park/tickets/ferien-fun-x2/

Also today 2 years ago Klugheim opened! Happy Birthday to Taron.

Phantasiastisch

Mega Poster
I got the advertisement in my mail today. It's nice that they're doing this. We'll certainly use it when we stay at hotel Matamba next week.

The fact that Klugheim has existed for two years is so strange.

Lofty

CF Legend
They were offering this earlier this year but had to be used prior to July, if I remember correctly.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
^Yeah. They have been running the Pay Once, Visit Twice offer for a number of years in April and May (for use in Spring or Autumn). But this is the first time they have ever run a similar promotion in the summer months.

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
https://www.looopings.nl/wachten/phantasialand

Phantasialand have veered away from their keeping-figures-top-secret-principle and queue times are now publicly visible for everyone. Might be a reaction towards the criticism about the 2-for-1-deal during the summer holidays, since people might expect horrendous wait times because of that. This way, they can at least check and observe which days might be the best to visit.

Also huge LOL @ the queue for Wakobato.

Is River Quest still on only one elevator?