What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I'm really struggling to get excited by this coaster. I just feel like it's taking forever to be built and every update we get nowadays doesn't showcase anything unbelievably exciting. I'm sure it will be a fun ride and all, but I don't think it's for me personally.

Morkins

Roller Poster
I'm really struggling to get excited by this coaster. I just feel like it's taking forever to be built and every update we get nowadays doesn't showcase anything unbelievably exciting. I'm sure it will be a fun ride and all, but I don't think it's for me personally.
I'm sure that, just like Taron, the theming will make or break the ride. And given their history with that, I have faith that they will nail it.

I just hope it's open for the start of the season in 2020 because I'm gonna be in Cologne the second week of April. Based on where they are at with it (track is fully installed and Hotel is pretty far along), I think it'll probably be open in April at the start of their season. I just hope this being basically a prototype doesn't cause too many delays or issues.

Phantasiastisch

Mega Poster
I understand what you're trying to say, I have the same feeling.

I'm very excited but more about the themed area in general.

First of all, I worry about how comfortable the restraints will be... Even if I've confidence in Phantasialand's research and Vekoma's choice of Restraints. But already since I saw the footage of the testing on the testsite of Vekoma 3 years ago I'm scared that I'm too hyped for a coaster that won't be enjoyable for me to ride bc of the restraints. So I tempered my excitement.

If I see how the restraints, or at least the shoulder part of it, looks like I immediately think of Python at Efteling. Horrible restraints for me personally bc they hurt my shoulder blade bones. So I need to hold them a bit so they don't push onto my shoulder blade.

But that's the issue I'm worrying about with FLY, I don't see how I could hold the restraints away from my shoulder blade in flying position. I'm surely gonna have a ride to see if I can ride it without pain so I know this is a coaster to ride more often. Or maybe the restraints are better than Python's and I'm stressing for nothing. :p

Another thing is, I don't expect to be blown away like with Taron (or Black Mamba) so I don't expect too much, just a nice coaster with great near misses and a beautiful environment to fly through but nothing out of control.

So, I'm looking forward to Rookburgh itself in general and not especially the coaster, this is a surplus when it's enjoyable and otherwise I can just walk around in this fantastic area. :D

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
I'm intrigued and excited to see how the ride turns out, but I must admit that I'm not particularly excited by the construction at present. I think this may be partly down to the fact that it will be some time before I ride FLY, but part of me also thinks that I almost find the project a little too confusing to follow, even with the helpful posts from members in the know. This might sound strange, but we don't really know an awful lot, and many Phantasialand projects seem to have multiple layers to them to keep track of, if you get what I mean.

I can personally see my excitement levels for this project being somewhat akin to what they were for Taron/Klugheim when that was being built. For me, I found Klugheim to be a bit of a slow burner with regards to excitement levels; when it was being built, I was kind of confused watching the construction, but my excitement levels rose quite a lot in the period surrounding the area's opening when everything began to come together, if you get what I mean. I'm sure FLY/Rookburgh will be the same, and I have real faith in Phantasialand and Vekoma to produce an absolutely stunning finished product!

But to be fair, I do think it feels as though they've been building it for an incredibly long time compared to Klugheim. I'm sure this will show in the finished product, though! Remember, guys; good things come to those who wait!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
As I've said in this thread before, Fly's construction is like that of a dark ride, since it's so hard to actually see anything being done. And that naturally means construction will be boring.

But the moment we can actually see the ride properly, see it testing and have the park properly market it, it will be exciting. People will get excited for the ride.

If the way you judge how excited you are for a coaster is how exciting the construction process is, you should probably take a step back and think about what's actually important for a coaster... namely, the riding of it.

nudel32

Roller Poster
The coaster is missing an ass kickin' element. Just like Taron! Good coaster for sure but sadly potential for world class coaster not used.

Ethan

Strata Poster
The coaster is missing an ass kickin' element. Just like Taron! Good coaster for sure but sadly potential for world class coaster not used.
Yeah, a 72pmh launch in a trench followed by a sharp climb past a splashing waterfall... Just not very ass kickin' is it ;)
I do sort of agree that Fly is missing something, but I don't think it's designed to be intense or "ass kickin" (god I hate American idioms) so I guess it fits its purpose. We shall see.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I think your scale might be a very tiny bit off, everything seems a little bit too big and drawn out, but your videos will be very useful for those who still haven't quite grasped the layout yet. Great job!

MrRC

Mega Poster
Thanks Ethan.

The heights on the border of the area might be a lil on the high side. But I don't know if u been in the park recently ?? The walls near Wuze town are HUGE.

The video POV is rotated 180 degrees coz the original coaster was a SIT down.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Thanks Ethan.

The heights on the border of the area might be a lil on the high side. But I don't know if u been in the park recently ?? The walls near Wuze town are HUGE.
Yeah I've been twice this year and they are massive! In was referring to how drawn out the coaster seems compared to reality, not so much the height of buildings :)

Ethan

Strata Poster
I think that what coaster wrote is something that is called irony.

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk
And I think that you don't know what irony is ;) Pretty sure coaster was just pointing out the existence of the second launch, and wondering why nudel32 doesn't think this is "kick ass".

HookahMan

Roller Poster
Of course i know what Irony is. The situation that he expected something special for F.L.Y. and what coaster wrote is called irony. Maybe you can call it especially sarcasm, because he didn't knew about the second launch.

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Meh, flying coasters, not a favourite of mine, so not overly excited. However, I think this will be everything flying coasters before have not been, an absoloute barrage of none stop near misses. Like playing a flight simulator when you try and fly through cities, under bridges etc, that kind of rush. Yes other flyers have had a few, but not nearly enough, not when that could really make a flying coaster great. I think this will be THE one to do that very well.