What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Oooo, surprised to see some colour on the wall and turrets so soon. This does leave me questioning something else though - why are there two gaps towards the top of the wall?

Love this mysterious construction process.
The theory on PhantaFriends is some kind of protruding theming structures will be set in/attached there. Presumably wooden, like the wooden sections and windows on the front of Wuze Town.

peep

CF Legend
The theory on PhantaFriends is some kind of protruding theming structures will be set in/attached there. Presumably wooden, like the wooden sections and windows on the front of Wuze Town.

Yeah, that makes sense. I suppose we'll find out soon.

toofpikk

Mega Poster
it would be interesting to see a rollercoaster break through the wall, but i suppose that would break the illusion of immersive theming (and are they even of appropriate size?)
I'm glad trump finally got the go ahead to build his wall tho <3

CoasterCrank

Roller Poster
it would be interesting to see a rollercoaster break through the wall, but i suppose that would break the illusion of immersive theming (and are they even of appropriate size?)
I'm glad trump finally got the go ahead to build his wall tho <3

Okay... I think it was a bit exaggerated...XD But the idea was okay! ^^....and on the other hand: we're talking about PHANTASIALAND! ;)

By the way... a protruding decoration is more probably!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Screw the wall, I've just re-watched that video of the test track facility thingy. To be fair I've watched it several times already on a small screen but could never get my head round what was actually happening, y'know? Couldn't see how the seats were configured, or how the transition from sitting-to-flying would work, that sideways loading track baffled me... but now I've seen it on a proper monitor the penny has finally dropped. Hoorah! :)
Man, that is weird but oh so clever. So, you'll leave the station travelling sideways, yes? And then as the track levels out, the riders kinda 'cartwheel' into the flying position, is that right? That is genius! I bet B&M are kicking themselves for not thinking of that one sooner.
Ok, I'll admit it, my interest in this project has gone up a tad. I wouldn't say I'm excited for it just yet, but I'm definitely more intrigued than I was when it was just photos of a wall.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Screw the wall, I've just re-watched that video of the test track facility thingy. To be fair I've watched it several times already on a small screen but could never get my head round what was actually happening, y'know? Couldn't see how the seats were configured, or how the transition from sitting-to-flying would work, that sideways loading track baffled me... but now I've seen it on a proper monitor the penny has finally dropped. Hoorah! :)
Man, that is weird but oh so clever. So, you'll leave the station travelling sideways, yes? And then as the track levels out, the riders kinda 'cartwheel' into the flying position, is that right? That is genius! I bet B&M are kicking themselves for not thinking of that one sooner.
Ok, I'll admit it, my interest in this project has gone up a tad. I wouldn't say I'm excited for it just yet, but I'm definitely more intrigued than I was when it was just photos of a wall.
B&M literally did think of it sooner :p
https://worldwide.espacenet.com/pub...n_EP&FT=D&date=20080515&CC=AT&NR=392242T&KC=T
espacenetimage_188.jpg

MrRC

Mega Poster
The rails at the Vekoma version are vertikal, but on B&M is not vertikal, that makes a lot of difference.

In B&M top view, u can see the seats are NOT parallel to the rails. A big advantage that Vekoma has !!

29471f7c15d05b27a1fb0675cd36132b.png

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
The rails at the Vekoma version are vertikal, but on B&M is not vertikal, that makes a lot of difference.

In B&M top view, u can see the seats are NOT parallel to the rails. A big advantage that Vekoma has !!

29471f7c15d05b27a1fb0675cd36132b.png

Certainly that angle in the load position is simply from how they chose to design the pivot, no? The coaches would still rotate into a flying position - I'd bet that the angled pivot allows for a slightly more comfortable ride position. B&M probably said that instead of just reclining each seat more, they'd achieve the same effect with just angling the pivot slightly. Although I'm not really seeing how either design would have an advantage over the other. The only sideways transport would be in and out of the station and maybe up the lift if that was how B&M chose to design their rides.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Vekoma has a 2 seat version (test setup, not sure for the final version) , so their train is lighter and less stress (wear) on the wheels, frames and pivot points.
No doubt, but it's essentially the same as the B&M one from that patent. The angle of the track/train is semantics. ;)

Still, Vekoma are building it and B&M aren't, so they obviously worked something out!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Forgive me if this has been covered already (it's a big ol' topic and I can't be bothered to trawl through it all), but you know that bit where the seats cartwheel 90° into the riding position? Is it reasonable to assume that they could, in theory, rotate the seats 90° in the opposite direction, resulting in a ... in a 'backwards flying coaster'?? Like... in the flying position but travelling feet first? If so, could it therefore also be possible that the riding position is altered during the ride? Kinda like X2, but instead of spinning end-over-end, you spin horizontally from head-first to feet-first?
Yeah I know, it sounds wild, and it probably wouldn't work on any high speed, outdoor sections of track, and you definitely wouldn't want to climb a lift-hill feet first, but I'm thinking more along the lines of slow-moving, 'dark ride' segments of the ride, with scenery and theming and stuff to look at.
I'm probably talking out of my arse, and I'm not suggesting that F.L.Y will utilise any of this nonsense, it's just, y'know, the possibilities for weird and wacky elements this ride type offers are endless, and I wouldn't be surprised if Phantasialand have something crazy up their sleeve that we don't yet know about.

Edit: what's the betting that "I'm probably talking out of my arse" will end up as a quote in somebody's signature? ;)

Last edited:

peep

CF Legend

That's what I initially thought we might see (because that would be AWESOME) but it'd totally defeat the entire point of why the walls are going up (to stop the noise from the cred reaching the neighbours).

Lofty

CF Legend
Forgive me if this has been covered already (it's a big ol' topic and I can't be bothered to trawl through it all), but you know that bit where the seats cartwheel 90° into the riding position? Is it reasonable to assume that they could, in theory, rotate the seats 90° in the opposite direction, resulting in a ... in a 'backwards flying coaster'?? Like... in the flying position but travelling feet first? If so, could it therefore also be possible that the riding position is altered during the ride? Kinda like X2, but instead of spinning end-over-end, you spin horizontally from head-first to feet-first?
Yeah I know, it sounds wild, and it probably wouldn't work on any high speed, outdoor sections of track, and you definitely wouldn't want to climb a lift-hill feet first, but I'm thinking more along the lines of slow-moving, 'dark ride' segments of the ride, with scenery and theming and stuff to look at.
I'm probably talking out of my arse, and I'm not suggesting that F.L.Y will utilise any of this nonsense, it's just, y'know, the possibilities for weird and wacky elements this ride type offers are endless, and I wouldn't be surprised if Phantasialand have something crazy up their sleeve that we don't yet know about.

Edit: what's the betting that "I'm probably talking out of my arse" will end up as a quote in somebody's signature? ;)
Nah, it could potentially happen, yes. Unless the system is locked until in certain positions of the track, or the actual hardware for rotation is built into the track system itself - similar to how some spinning coasters snap back to the forward position. (but it doesn't look that way)

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Wall update!
8AEBDDD0-F467-4075-BC82-1EE46B62AD61.jpg

The typical green and yellow Wuze colours now starting to appear.
Plus decorative wood has been added along the top, similar to the wood on the front of Wuze Town.
10B904DD-94F2-428D-BF36-93551F50A1A0.jpg

On the left the frame work and mesh for the theming there is now in place, ready for the concrete spray. You can make out another small window, birds head and a 4th round tower - pretty much the same design as that of the right side of the wall. So overall it will be rather symmetrical.

To the right of themed wall are the large steel towers (which the coaster passes through as seen in the older picture below), connected to a row of towers forming a sound barrier wall along the side of Wuze Town.
E3C6009A-578E-4A0A-BE55-DEA24CB533BA.thumb.jpeg.4ec5b194db844498023b37e6ba2920b3.jpeg

As seen in the new pictures, this gap between the two Fantasy facing towers has been closed up.
It hasn't been completely closed up at the bottom since between those two towers will be the entrance/gateway from Fantasy into Rookburgh - so you'll step through the gateway into the world of Rookburgh with the four industrial towers and coaster towering directly overhead.
Now that the wall has been completed we will probably soon be theming work start on those surfaces too, and the creation of the gateway.

Views from yesterday just to demonstrate the scale of these walls.
9540969d1539283779-201x-neuheit-fly-launched-flying-coaster-themenbereich-rookburgh-phantasialand-img_0504-edited-.jpg

9540968d1539283634-201x-neuheit-fly-launched-flying-coaster-themenbereich-rookburgh-phantasialand-img_0503-edited-.jpg

Pictures from CoasterFriends.de

Last edited:

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
The gaps in the wall are definitely getting a protruding theming structure of some kind.
Just wasn't quite expecting this...
FB_IMG_1539348072732.jpg

FB_IMG_1539348064439.jpg

Source - Marco Liedtke on Facebook group Achterbahn Fans Deutschland

The wall is built across the top of a 1 storey concrete building. So I guess this will attach to the front of that building facing Wuze to make it look like a one whole structure? Rather than a small building with a wall on top.

Last edited:

shawnoc

Mega Poster
This project is starting make Planet Coaster seem in scale.
It’s incredible what they are doing here. Who needs Disney