What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
I guess we can expect a combination of rocks (which is actually strange in this theme) and buildings, just like they did in Klugheim. I regret that they don't demolish the old office building and make the area bigger but it has no impact on my expectations of how fantastic Rookburgh will be.
Interestingly I was expecting them to retheme/put a steampunk facade on the admin building but they are creating a facade on a free standing wall infront of the building instead. So that means the block can still be demolished someday. However without somewhere else for the admin facilities to move the building will be staying for a while.

I guess they'll do refreshments and add new decorations to the Fantasy area as well, just like they did with River Quest in Mystery. After this improvement is also this area of the park as detailed as the other areas.
I think you're right with this. Phantasialand are reworking each area (making completely themed and immersive 360° areas) one by one. Berlin (Kaiserplatz, Maus + Tartuff), Mexico (Chiapas) and Mystery (Klugheim + River Quest refurb) are now done, and it seems now it is the Fantasy area's turn. They refurbished and added new theming around the lake and Wakobato this year. Rookburgh is being added, and if the rumours are true Temple of the Night Hawk and Hollywood Tour are next to be replaced (most likely a 2020 project). I'm sure we will see more improvements (River Quest style) to the rest of the area (Winjas queueline stands out to me as somewhere that needs work done).
I pressume China + Colorado Adventure will receive some attention after Fantasy.
I hope they will give the main entrance a big refreshment after this project and that we can expect a lane to this entrance. I wanna see the other entrances closing and just walk in through a beautiful Berlin themed entrance building to the mainstreet so this part of the park is more being used. Then they can build something new in place of the "old" entrance in Chinatown. They could replace Fenju Palace by a new version and build it on the entrance site. Then they have the possibility to separate the Mystery and China area in a good way.

A new Berlin entrance has been talked about for a while not really sure when that'll happen. I guess unless there is some long term plan for that area, it is simply that other projects have priority. Given the location of the main car parks I can't see the Mystery and China entrances being removed. Also for crowd management I prefer the multiple entrances, don't think the Berlin entrance could cope if everyone came through there.

Phantasiastisch

Mega Poster
Interestingly I was expecting them to retheme/put a steampunk facade on the admin building but they are creating a facade on a free standing wall infront of the building instead. So that means the block can still be demolished someday. However without somewhere else for the admin facilities to move the building will be staying for a while.

If they demolish the office building in a few years, then the possibility that it could be more space for an expansion of Rookburgh is very small.

I think you're right with this. Phantasialand are reworking each area (making completely themed and immersive 360° areas) one by one. Berlin (Kaiserplatz, Maus + Tartuff), Mexico (Chiapas) and Mystery (Klugheim + River Quest refurb) are now done, and it seems now it is the Fantasy area's turn. They refurbished and added new theming around the lake and Wakobato this year. Rookburgh is being added, and if the rumours are true Temple of the Night Hawk and Hollywood Tour are next to be replaced (most likely a 2020 project). I'm sure we will see more improvements (River Quest style) to the rest of the area (Winjas queueline stands out to me as somewhere that needs work done).
I pressume China + Colorado Adventure will receive some attention after Fantasy.

Indeed, that's probably the way it's gonna be. I'm looking forward for the winter break ( refurbishment videos on YouTube). Could it be that they make another new entrance to Wuze Town to connect it with Rookburgh? I'm very curious about all the projects that are coming.

A new Berlin entrance has been talked about for a while not really sure when that'll happen. I guess unless there is some long term plan for that area, it is simply that other projects have priority. Given the location of the main car parks I can't see the Mystery and China entrances being removed. Also for crowd management I prefer the multiple entrances, don't think the Berlin entrance could cope if everyone came through there.

Okay, maybe you're right about the guestflow/ crowd management. I think it would be nice if the entrance will get a refurbishment and that the cash desks could be rebuilt in a new building a few meters before the entrance gates (so on the other side of the street which is then in my "fantasy-vision" underground with the whole entrance area above the tunnel).

This could work for normal days but they can make a new extra entrance near Chinatown for busier days to keep the crowd managed. I still would prefer to see the current Chinatown entrance closing and rebuilt Fenju Palace there so the 360° themed areas could be done with a good separation of Chinatown and Mystery.

[ I also answered on some things in the quotes (orange boxes). I'm new here and I don't understand yet how to do everything in the good way. So, my apologize for that.]

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Okay, maybe you're right about the guestflow/ crowd management. I think it would be nice if the entrance will get a refurbishment and that the cash desks could be rebuilt in a new building a few meters before the entrance gates (so on the other side of the street which is then in my "fantasy-vision" underground with the whole entrance area above the tunnel).

This could work for normal days but they can make a new extra entrance near Chinatown for busier days to keep the crowd managed. I still would prefer to see the current Chinatown entrance closing and rebuilt Fenju Palace there so the 360° themed areas could be done with a good separation of Chinatown and Mystery.
Well if I remember correctly the park's most recent appeal for expansion included a massive new car park - which would serve Berlin. Then the park might no longer require one of the other car parks. So perhaps what you are suggesting might happen (certainly I would like to see it happen) but only if the park get their expansion plans approved (which they've been fighting for decades to get. Although it has been in the news quite a bit recently so maybe there's a chance).
It's an interesing prospect. Just have to wait and see.
------------------
Meanwhile back in the land of Rookburgh the small crane from the company Barth, which installed the first few supports and pieces of track (and installed Raik last year), has come back on site today and was apparently very active (what exactly it was moving/doing no one could see).
This particular crane's reappearance could mean we will be having more supports and track go in this week.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
As much as I'm excited for this because I know PL will theme this amazingly, I'm pretty sure this will be a more family focused attraction, effectively replacing TOTNH early. Having the family ride already open allows the closure of TOTNH and Hollywood immediately and put plans for the area into motion by the end of next year.

Does anyone know if the land opposite the entrance over the main road is potentially available for expansion? The hotel car park already takes up some of that land.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
As much as I'm excited for this because I know PL will theme this amazingly, I'm pretty sure this will be a more family focused attraction, effectively replacing TOTNH early. Having the family ride already open allows the closure of TOTNH and Hollywood immediately and put plans for the area into motion by the end of next year.

Does anyone know if the land opposite the entrance over the main road is potentially available for expansion? The hotel car park already takes up some of that land.
I don't think it will be family oriented. They have 2x Winja's, Colorado Adventure, Raik and (still) TotNH. That means there are 5 Family Coasters vs. 2 Thrill coasters. Also, a flying coaster will always look intimidating, regardless if the intensity, just because of the uncommon riding position. Most moms and dads will probably refuse to ride something like that because it looks to intense and unfamiliar to them. On the other side there are people that want to ride it just because it does look intense, if it was not actually intense, it would leave them disappointed. I don't think a family flying coaster would actually has a target audience.

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016

If I remember correctly PHL always had to struggle for new space because of obnoxious neighbours and the council shooting down their expansion plans. I don't see them sacrifice more parking spaces like they already did for Klugheim anytime soon.

I also think the new ride will be more family friendly so the focus shifts away from Hollywood tour and TOTNH, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's going to be replaced with a Wuzetown expansion instead of a new themed area.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I don't think it will be family oriented. They have 2x Winja's, Colorado Adventure, Raik and (still) TotNH. That means there are 5 Family Coasters vs. 2 Thrill coasters. Also, a flying coaster will always look intimidating, regardless if the intensity, just because of the uncommon riding position. Most moms and dads will probably refuse to ride something like that because it looks to intense and unfamiliar to them. On the other side there are people that want to ride it just because it does look intense, if it was not actually intense, it would leave them disappointed. I don't think a family flying coaster would actually has a target audience.
I meant more family focused compared to Taron, something to replace TOTNH specifically, that can be ridden by families if they choose to. I can't see this being an all out action thrill ride in the same vein as Taron. Hopefully the TOTNH replacement will add another high thrill coaster.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
If I remember correctly PHL always had to struggle for new space because of obnoxious neighbours and the council shooting down their expansion plans. I don't see them sacrifice more parking spaces like they already did for Klugheim anytime soon.

I also think the new ride will be more family friendly so the focus shifts away from Hollywood tour and TOTNH, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's going to be replaced with a Wuzetown expansion instead of a new themed area.
I expect a TotNH refurbishment or replacement (with a family attraction), what else should they do with the place? If they do, and FLY is family friendly, they would have 8 family coasters vs. 2 thrill coasters. They already have a nice lineup for families, I think they have to focus more on thrillseekers now. My sister (24) found the coasters in the park boring and said she won't ever visit it again. I obviously had fun on every ride, but I can understand her partially.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Yep, the lake won't be redeveloped, which is a shame as the space is huge. Hence the other side of the road being the furthest point from the housing area would make sense. Possibly a hyper sprawling out into that land from a station near Wuze town?

Ethan

Strata Poster
Possibly a hyper sprawling out into that land from a station near Wuze town?

I can never see them buying a coaster that size, it just wouldn't fit the park at all. I'd say it's pretty much impossible to completely theme a hyper too, and PL pride themselves on doing that!

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I can never see them buying a coaster that size, it just wouldn't fit the park at all. I'd say it's pretty much impossible to completely theme a hyper too, and PL pride themselves on doing that!
If anyone can then PL can. Obviously it's unlikely, but they will run out of space very soon and a ride crossing the road is an easy way to extend.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
If anyone can then PL can. Obviously it's unlikely, but they will run out of space very soon and a ride crossing the road is an easy way to extend.
"Easy way" - not if you have to struggle with politicians for years because of that. They wanted to expand for a long time and were never allowed to. Just recently I heard that they may finally get the permission. A hyper will probably never be a thing, even if it's on the other side it will still be too loud.

Ethan

Strata Poster

Wouldn't a bridge be a little easier? ;)

I can see where you're coming from but it'll never happen. Plus people screaming at that sort of height will have locals in a frenzy! If they do manage to purchase that land/lake opposite the road, I can imagine another hotel/waterpark and another one or two themed areas similar to what we have now.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I've derailed this enough, my original point was this won't be a high thrill coaster and I believe the TOTNH site will be in a few years time. Speculating on what that exactly will be or where should go elsewhere.

Kinda wish the owners of PL do a Europa and buy up a load of land which a town is built around, they could do so much without restrictions.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
I've derailed this enough, my original point was this won't be a high thrill coaster and I believe the TOTNH site will be in a few years time. Speculating on what that exactly will be or where should go elsewhere.

Kinda wish the owners of PL do a Europa and buy up a load of land which a town is built around, they could do so much without restrictions.

Hmmm not convinced by that. We've seen inversions installed i believe? Whilst it may not be as high thrill as Taron i wouldn't be expecting a family ride. I think the family attraction will come as a secondary ride in the area ala Raik.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Hmmm not convinced by that. We've seen inversions installed i believe? Whilst it may not be as high thrill as Taron i wouldn't be expecting a family ride. I think the family attraction will come as a secondary ride in the area ala Raik.
There may be another family flat but can they fit another family cred in there?
The inversion we know about yes, but are there more than that one? There are plenty of what I would call family coasters out there with inversions. 1.2M restrictions are family, do we know the restrictions on this yet?
It's no B&M flyer that's for sure.