What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Update from PhantaFriends.de. New track has been marked on to a Google Maps image from last summer (after Atlantis was demolished but before they started digging on site).

Black = this shows all the black sideways (sitting position) track which has been installed. This track has now been wrapped up/covered up.
Given the length of the station it is speculated that the coaster will have an unload and load section like Taron's station does.
Unbenannt.thumb.png.1a21180de7cbaa82df5391172a311340.png

Red = Tobi reports that this red track curve is the final curve from the prototype test set up where the seats return to the sitting position (@mrrc you were right then that they are reusing parts)
One forum user added drew on a suggested layout for where the train comes down into the turn changes to the sitting position goes along a bit of track, around a corner and into the already installed track (given how it sits separately from the rest it is assumed that this is the break run we have seen being delivered).
Unbenannt.png.0e133c0618c9c54ad98b143ce94a5f45.png

Blue = the launch track segments are being stored here at the moment.
Green = more track pieces being stored.

Phantasiastisch

Mega Poster
I was in Phantasialand yesterday (04/11/2017). I thought they'd work during the weekend? But there wasn't much activity on site, the cranes weren't much moving and It was quiet. I start doubting that the opening will be in approximately 8 months (I expected at the beginning of july, like Klugheim).

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
I was in Phantasialand yesterday (04/11/2017). I thought they'd work during the weekend? But there wasn't much activity on site, the cranes weren't much moving and It was quiet. I start doubting that the opening will be in approximately 8 months (I expected at the beginning of july, like Klugheim).
As previously discussed in this thread it is extremely unlikely to open next year.
It will probably be 2019 (maybe for the start of the season?).
The unusually early announcement was most likely just to reveal what they are building - especially since we would have known within a month anyway when vertical construction began.

sebi42

Roller Poster
As previously discussed in this thread it is extremely unlikely to open next year.
YOU said it was your OPINION. Please stop stating this as fact.

The park closed today for three weeks to get ready for the Winter season which starts on Nov 24th. Yet they worked on the construction site all day Friday.

They seem to be aiming for 2018. That's my opinion as someone who goes to the park on a weekly basis.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
YOU said it was your OPINION. Please stop stating this as fact.

The park closed today for three weeks to get ready for the Winter season which starts on Nov 24th. Yet they worked on the construction site all day Friday.

They seem to be aiming for 2018. That's my opinion as someone who goes to the park on a weekly basis.
I think you need to calm down and re-read what I wrote, please.
I commented on the likelihood. I didn't say it was a fact. I didn't say it will definitely open in 2019. Or it will most certainly open in 2019.
I said it is likely too. Which what I and many others, on various forums as well, think based off how construction is progressing.
But it is of course all speculation at the end of the day.
:)

Sandman

Giga Poster
I just don't understand how this could possibly be for 2018. To me, it looks like Phantasialand are laying the groundwork to market the **** out of this throughout next season. The turnaround time for finishing off the majority of construction, a large marketing campaign, testing and successfully opening, is incredibly tight if this is somehow a 2018 job.

Exclusive construction update for Phantasialand's 2018 project:

Time-Running-Out.gif

balrog

Mega Poster
I also think it is likely to be 2018. A lot of big 2018 projects are way less advanced than this one.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
I also think it is likely to be 2018. A lot of big 2018 projects are way less advanced than this one.
No other 2018 project is anywhere near the scale and complexity as Rookburgh though. The reason many are expecting a 2019 opening is because of how little has been done so far. If you compare it with Taron which opened Summer of 2016 - already the previous summer most of the coaster and half of the area was already standing, and the park had started marketing it with construction updates. Rookburgh is still mostly a large empty pit with some track and the steel structure for one building.

Maybe they'll somehow pull it all off very quickly in time for July 2018 but it seems extremely unlikely. However no one can know for sure. We'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I imagine the aim was to get it open in 2018. I just can't see them doing the advertising they've done already with an aim to open it in 2019. And if it was planned to open in 2019, surely they'd say to keep expectations realistic?

I know there's been issues during construction causing some delays, so maybe they've been significant enough to push it back that far? But I remember correctly, at this stage in 2012, Smiler had no track and next to no supports built, and that was obviously a complex track build. Rookburgh is different because of the level of theming it'll no doubt receive, sure, but it shows a lot of work can be done it a short period of time. And given how quickly Phantasia can work, I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility that it will open in 2018.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I just can't see them doing the advertising they've done already with an aim to open it in 2019.

They haven't done that much advertising though, they just announced a new exciting ride and stuck up a big billboard in the park. Just slowly creating the awareness, no rush yet. The meaty stuff will all be next season I'd imagine.

As crazycoaster has rightly pointed out, Taron/Klugheim is still new and relevant enough to bring the numbers in. It's only had 2 seasons, basically still a baby.

Pear

Strata Poster
Yeah there has not been much progress at all and I'd be surprised if they're able to construct the longest flyer and pull off theming more detailed than Klugheim in 8 months. At this point in 2015 Taron's track had already been completed.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
image.jpeg
This image has been leaked, which suggests a 569 day waiting time for fly, which would suggest an end of May 2019 opening.

Having said that, Phantasialand don't tend to release opening dates of their attractions until a couple of months before opening date, so them releasing an opening date 1.5 years in advance would be extremely unlikely and this therefore leads me(and others) to believe this is a well-photoshopped fake...

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
The wait time image was posted on CoasterFriends.de and the guy who posted it wrote alongside it that he had photo shopped it for fun - but it spread to other sites and on social media where people took it seriously...

F.L.Y.(ing) Christmas Tree
The park is now closed as they prepare for their Winter season.

They have this daily behind the scenes series on YouTube to give people an insight to this prep. work (only available in German with Dutch and French subtitles - no English).
Last week there was an episode about the Christmas tree that is the centrepiece of Kaiserplatz. The tree in previous years was delivered via the backstage yard behind Race for Atlantis but as this is now the construction site for Rookburgh they had to transport the tree via the tunnel under the park and then lift it 20 metres meters up, over and into Kaiserplatz.

For the past two main off seasons (between the winter and summer seasons) the park have been carrying out a phased refurbishment and renewal of the rockwork in the Africa area. Surprisingly the rockwork at the Jr Immelman element of Black Mamba has been removed and Universal Rocks are on site creating new rockwork. They only have a week left to finish it!
img_0001_29_188.jpg

Maybe they are taking the opportunity to do it now as Universal Rocks in a few months time will be busy with Rookburgh? Or another refurb project in the longer off season?

Last edited: