What's new

Peregrine - DOWNLOAD & POV LIVE - [B&M Wing Coaster RLRides]

bob_3_

Giga Poster
My last project has hit some stagnation so I thought I'd challnge myself with FVD++. Infinity was my first ride using the program and there are many ideas I could improve on, and the reason for a hyper coaster after was it is the easiest coaster type to try and perfect with the main focus being on hills and helix's

This coaster is just pushing to the next step by blending force and geomtric shaping, something modern B&M wing coasters do so well. It was never meant for a full "release" but it rides well and Im very happy with how it sits in the skyline so I wanna try and release it fully, not really themed, but an experiment in realistic quality layout design. I've just finished the layout and now it's time to think about how to present it.

Screen-Shot-2020-01-31-at-12-16-08.png

Screen-Shot-2020-01-31-at-12-32-54.png

Screen-Shot-2020-01-31-at-12-35-44.png

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I particularly like the look of that hill-twisting drop-immelmann-corner-corkscrew sequence.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
poster-2020-02-03-20-59-16.png

Just playing around with colours. Want this to be a fairly light and fun ride, although it has ended up being quite aggressive in it's pacing.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
You have a good eye for these things and I'm sure your final choice will be great, but I quite like the yellow! Feels a bit... fresh, against a current influx of sexy blue coasters.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
You have a good eye for these things and I'm sure your final choice will be great, but I quite like the yellow! Feels a bit... fresh, against a current influx of sexy blue coasters.

Yeah you’re right I was just getting alot of “don’t like that, try this” from people. Which is why i’ve realised this process is best done privately lol (I appriciate feedback but yunno)

Anyway i’ve named the coaster and settled on its scheme mostly. It’s named Peregrine after the fastest bird around. The manoeuvres and environment suited it perfectly, and the birds colouring of bright yellow and black and white works really well imo. I’ll probably be finished with this soon as it was only really an experiment in layout design, but i’m actually really happy with how it moves. It has a kind of fun but aggessive and powerful personality.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Pere-side-03.jpg

And here he is! Almost complete now. I'm not adding anything additional that isn't already in the game, but it was always an experiment in layout design. With the limited time and resources I have these days, I will probably do more of these layout only rides as this was a lot of fun. Watch this space for the download and video.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Peregrine-screen.jpg

Peregrine

Background
Names after the fastest animal in the world. This wing coaster dives and swoops it's prey at speeds of over 70mph. Take a walk along the lake side setting or hike the hill to watch as the coaster manouvers the sky.

Design
Based heavily on exisiting B&M Wing Coasters, Peregrine was an experiment in shaping, as I am still getting used to FVD. It was never intended to be a fully released project, but I grew to love the layout and wanted to showcase it. I've always found some of the earlier wing coasters a little sluggish, so this design was to give something that had some real buffy pacing to it. This required a tall height and a relatively shorter layout, but I like to think this would ride awesomely in real life. This is a project I've released mainly with objects found default within the game and has been a joy to produce, so I may well look at releasing some of these quicker layout focused rides in the future.

Peregrine-screen2.jpg

Elements
188ft Wingover Drop
Zero-G Roll
Air-Time Hill
Immelman Loop
Giant Wingover
Overbank
Bunny Hop
Low Flying Turn
In-line Twist

Big thanks to Andre (CrazyCoaster) for your continued support and suggestions, and Daniel (DCHighHeat) for challenging my design and try out the weird stuff.

Also everyone on NLC Discord for showing some interest in what I'm doing.

Please Let me know what you think.

Enjoy

Richard Lerwill

bob_3_

Giga Poster

Little video of the song that the ride was going to be named after at some point. This is a ride for those of us that would happily hide in a park and find a spot to watch a B&M gracefully glide around all day. And this video is meant to capture that vibe.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Beautiful stuff. Really, really nice.

Trackwork, elements, shaping, supports, etc were (of course) your usual high quality stuff. I think your efforts for a 'real' feeling B&M were pretty much on point. The turnaround element (counting this as the airtime hill and Immelmenn combo) is particularly nice. I reckon right-side would be a wonderful ride over that airtime hill, as you get the extended airtime and the train twists. Lovely.

My one observation - criticism would be an overkill word - is the entrance to the corner after the airtime hill (the corner than exits into the long roll) felt like it could have been a bit... snappier? There is plenty of precedent for the long lead-ins, but I think Fenix does a good job of showing that B&M are willing to do some pretty snappy transitions (exit of the helix into the zero-g). It was the one bit of the ride where I thought "this feels drawn out". That might just be me being picky though - would happily hear a rebuttal. :p

Good work. Really impressive work. Makes me want to find time to play in NL2 again. Thank you for sharing. :)

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Beautiful stuff. Really, really nice.

Trackwork, elements, shaping, supports, etc were (of course) your usual high quality stuff. I think your efforts for a 'real' feeling B&M were pretty much on point. The turnaround element (counting this as the airtime hill and Immelmenn combo) is particularly nice. I reckon right-side would be a wonderful ride over that airtime hill, as you get the extended airtime and the train twists. Lovely.

My one observation - criticism would be an overkill word - is the entrance to the corner after the airtime hill (the corner than exits into the long roll) felt like it could have been a bit... snappier? There is plenty of precedent for the long lead-ins, but I think Fenix does a good job of showing that B&M are willing to do some pretty snappy transitions (exit of the helix into the zero-g). It was the one bit of the ride where I thought "this feels drawn out". That might just be me being picky though - would happily hear a rebuttal. :p

Good work. Really impressive work. Makes me want to find time to play in NL2 again. Thank you for sharing. :)

I kiiiinda get what you mean with the lead into the helix. It's actually more difficult to get that flat section right in FVD, but it also allowed it to lie more flat. I like the break though, it was intentional almost like a "beat" in the pacing. Also after riding Fenix, I actually find the snappy exit to the helix is be my least favourite section as it's so fast the forces just felt abit strange. It is a personal preference thing though I guess, as that section is one of my favourite bits of the design haha.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I kiiiinda get what you mean with the lead into the helix. It's actually more difficult to get that flat section right in FVD, but it also allowed it to lie more flat. I like the break though, it was intentional almost like a "beat" in the pacing. Also after riding Fenix, I actually find the snappy exit to the helix is be my least favourite section as it's so fast the forces just felt abit strange. It is a personal preference thing though I guess, as that section is one of my favourite bits of the design haha.
A fair point well made. It doesn't detract from the ride at all! Maybe I just don't like saying something's perfect... :p

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Screen-Shot-2020-02-17-at-15-55-28.png

Just wanted to show the first layout draft. It DID have a snappy exit to the turn then into a wave hill. This was super ugly imo compared to how it ended up. I did go through 21 drafts though. I do like showing the progress though as I think it's always important to show the thought process sometimes.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Possibly one for a future project, but it would be cool to do a timelapse type thing of the progress/process. Lock the camera to one position and render a frame for each iteration. You'd see the curves develop and the final form come through. Which bits stayed, which changed, which were scrapped altogether, etc.

Can you even do that in NL2 (define a camera position)?

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Possibly one for a future project, but it would be cool to do a timelapse type thing of the progress/process. Lock the camera to one position and render a frame for each iteration. You'd see the curves develop and the final form come through. Which bits stayed, which changed, which were scrapped altogether, etc.

Can you even do that in NL2 (define a camera position)?

Oh I'm not sure how to do that, I guess if I made a default position and screen shotted from there. I'm never good at thinking that far ahead haha but might try next time

Finally put together a RHS POV, with some extra music =).

Last edited: