What's new

Paultons Park - Next Investment a Thrill Coaster?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
There's been some digging work going on in a field next to the Edge and Cobra. I wouldn't see a new major investment coming for a few years, but if Paultons have the money for 2 decent sized Vekoma family coasters, then surely in the next few years they will have enough for a large-scale thrill coaster? We know Paultons want to appeal to the thrill market as well as the family market, as they have installed rides such as the Edge and Magma. People such as Shawn Sanbrooke from TPW think it possibly maybe a Mack launch coaster. I think it is more likely to be a Gerstlauer launch coaster (like Anubis and Lynet). They have the money, especially because of the popularity of Lost Kingdom and Peppa Pig World. This would definitely be comparable to Blackpool Pleasure Beach Project 2018, if the rumors are true. What are your thoughts? :--D :--D :--D

Ben

CF Legend
Please don't cry again, but, no.

Magma and Edge aren't thrill rides anyway, they're family rides and clearly fit the demographic of the park.

They're not suddenly going to change the business plan of a park that's doing amazingly well and shove a Mack launch in haha.

And Shawn Sanbrooke it ultimately no-one, why would his word have any weight to it.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
First of all I haven't cried, second of all, no need to be rude and third of all, it was Shaun's Opinion. Rather than arguing against what everyone says, why don't you agree with it? It's not like what i am thinking is unreasonable. I'm not trying to say agree with my for everything, but consider my logic.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I think a wooden coaster of some description is also possible, and maybe some form of Intamin. Or a Mack Family launch coaster.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Seriously dude, how many more UK parks future plans are you going to wildly speculate on? What's next - a GCI Woodie for Drayton Manor? :wink:

Why not contribute more to existing threads about known plans instead of starting loads of new ones? You'll get a lot less **** from people if you do that. Just a bit of friendly advice... :)

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
I don't think a thrill or launch coaster is likely at all i'm afraid. Their current audience is doing them really well, so I can't see them diverging. Also I seem to remember hearing their neighbors are rather fussy about additions, there was some drama when The Edge went in.

To be totally honest I would be shocked to see them build anything much taller than Velociraptor/Pterosaur. Shaun is a respectable voice in the community, but he's an enthusiast just like us. I am sure he hears stuff from behind the scenes like some of the members on here, but he also speculates on things just like we all do. He's a great guy, and the TPWW series is awesome.

I do think that Shaun is onto something when he says he can see a water ride coming to the park though. Their current main water ride is a mediocre reverchon traveling log flume. It would be nice to see a rapids or something to add to the line-up. But that's pure speculation. I do agree a wood coaster would be nice, but it would have to be something very, very small. We're talking a lot smaller than the blackpool woodies. Even then, I can see thier neighbors being funny about the sound coming from the ride. So yeah even a woodie may be out of the question.

Honestly, I don't think it's possible to say what they do next. I'd verge more towards probably not another coaster for a couple of years, but who knows. A nice dark ride would be great from them, they've shown clearly they're capable at good theming.

Also great to see you're enthusiastic about posting, but I think this post may have been better off in the general discussion board. It kinda fits in better over there as this is more for news and concrete speculation where there's strong speculation coming from multiple respected sources. But anyway, hope you're enjoying CF so far :--D

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
The biggest coaster this place could get is a GG woodie like Wooden Warrior or Roarosaurus. They are not going into the thrill market

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
ATI said:
Rather than arguing against what everyone says, why don't you agree with it?

Just agree with everyone. Brilliant.

They're not going to suddenly go against a model/target audience which has worked wonders for them. A family woodie I could see. A launch along the lines of Juvelen would fit the market.

I'm not for a second suggesting either is happening.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Is this from the same source as the Flamingoland RMC?
About as likely to happen.
I agree with the Silenthill. Waterride is probably next up.

On another note. while I don't want to be a back seat mod. Why do you keep posting these threads in News and Rumours? they are neither News or Rumours... just speculation which really belongs in General Chat surely? I mean the Alton one got moved for that exact reason.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I've been using Tapatalk exclusively for the last couple of weeks, so it's not immediately apparent where the topics are sitting.

I've just moved this one, as I had to another one a few days ago. If another, similar one is posted in News and Rumours, it's just getting deleted.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I can't see them spending more money on thrilling (for the demographic) coaster any time soon. Next cred will more likely be a Peppa Pig kiddie runaway train or something that size.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
I'm not so sure how much these things cost, so it could be out of their price range... but one of those mack suspended power coasters like Arthur would work wonders at Paultons. They've shown they can do great theming with Lost Kingdom, so I think they could work with that concept on a dark ride esque coaster.

Smithy

Strata Poster
ATI said:
First of all I haven't cried, second of all, no need to be rude and third of all, it was Shaun's Opinion. Rather than arguing against what everyone says, why don't you agree with it? It's not like what i am thinking is unreasonable.

Rofl what sort of logic is that? Why should people just agree with it if they think, as it is, that it's garbage?

What you're thinking is unreasonable, as is the way you present it and try to discuss it. Opinions aren't immune from criticism just because they're opinions.

Why would Paulton's Park suddenly splash out a record level of investment on a ride that would exclude the vast majority of their target audience and be aimed at a target audience who have very little else of interest in the park?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
gavin said:
ATI said:
Rather than arguing against what everyone says, why don't you agree with it?

Just agree with everyone. Brilliant.

They're not going to suddenly go against a model/target audience which has worked wonders for them. A family woodie I could see. A launch along the lines of Juvelen would fit the market.

I'm not for a second suggesting either is happening.
Smithy said:
ATI said:
First of all I haven't cried, second of all, no need to be rude and third of all, it was Shaun's Opinion. Rather than arguing against what everyone says, why don't you agree with it? It's not like what i am thinking is unreasonable.

Rofl what sort of logic is that? Why should people just agree with it if they think, as it is, that it's garbage?

What you're thinking is unreasonable, as is the way you present it and try to discuss it. Opinions aren't immune from criticism just because they're opinions.

Why would Paulton's Park suddenly splash out a record level of investment on a ride that would exclude the vast majority of their target audience and be aimed at a target audience who have very little else of interest in the park?
I read this question this way the first time too, but on a second reading I think it's just a poorly worded sentence.

I'll ask the question I think is being asked: "If you don't agree with me, can you please explain why?"

If we are just being asked to agree with him blindly then... :lol:

Sandman

Giga Poster
If... IF a major 'thrill coaster' ever came to Paulton's, it would be way in the future after years of family investments. They aren't the same sort of park as AT, BPB, Flamingo land etc... They exclusively cater to families with young kids.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
ATI - allow me if you will to offer you an olive branch.
Seeing as nobody knows for certain what Paulton's will be investing in next, that means, by definition, that nobody for certain can say it won't be a thrill coaster.
So let's change the wording of the question a little bit. Instead of Paulton's next 'investment' (which, as everyone has said, will probably continue with the family orientated vibe that's working so well for them thus far), let's specifically talk about Paulton's next 'coaster'. Sooner or later, they're bound to get another coaster at some point, right?

Those kiddies that were wowed by Peppa Pig World a couple of years back are growing up. Now they've got Lost Kingdom to wow them for a few years more, but when they grow up a bit more still, these kids are gonna want something a bit more thrilling, right?
I would imagine that Paulton's are quite keen to keep them coming back, otherwise they'll just go swanning off to Thorpe Park instead.
And besides, even a family theme park has to have sumat for the dad's, yes?
"Step aside son. This one's for the big boys!"

So yeah. To me it seems a natural progression for Paulton's next 'coaster' to be something a bit more juicy. I'm not talking Fury 325 here, or a big-ass RMC, that would be stupid, but a Mega-lite maybe? A Mack spinner? Hopefully not another Eurofighter - eww - but you know, that kind of thing. Or maybe they could do a Tayto and surprise everyone by pulling a decent sized woodie out of their ass. Why not? Stranger things have happened.

There you go ATI. I'm with you.... sort of.
Thrill coaster for Paulton's all the way!
Just, you know, don't hold your breath.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Howie is correct to say that Paultons have moved the goalposts by broadening their target age group. Their nearest rival is Chessington so if they were to get a new thrill coaster, it would be on a similar vein to what we see at CWOA...or even better, Djurs Sommerland.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Paulton's target has always been that under 12 age range, with a high focus on under 5s with PPW, and the rest of the park 5-12s. Chessington really focuses on the 5-12 range, with 2 excessive height restriction coasters and 1.2M attractions being the norm.

Paultons' coasters all have a minimum height of 1.1M or less which is around ages 5-6. The current crop of attractions would keep ages up to around 11/12 entertained, 12+ would probably be a little bored.
Prior to the Lost Kingdom you could argue the trio of Cobra/Magma/Edge were the only draws for 6-12s, LK literally doubles the amount for that mid age range.

They are quite simply doing it better than any other kids focused park, and they should carry on with the current plans, but anything higher than a 1.2M restriction would be alien to the park. By all means put a Juvelen or a junior GG in, they would be the perfect introduction for 7-12 year olds to the big wide world of thrilling coasters, but a huge airtime machine is not what this place needs.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Howie said:
ATI - allow me if you will to offer you an olive branch.
Seeing as nobody knows for certain what Paulton's will be investing in next, that means, by definition, that nobody for certain can say it won't be a thrill coaster.
So let's change the wording of the question a little bit. Instead of Paulton's next 'investment' (which, as everyone has said, will probably continue with the family orientated vibe that's working so well for them thus far), let's specifically talk about Paulton's next 'coaster'. Sooner or later, they're bound to get another coaster at some point, right?

Those kiddies that were wowed by Peppa Pig World a couple of years back are growing up. Now they've got Lost Kingdom to wow them for a few years more, but when they grow up a bit more still, these kids are gonna want something a bit more thrilling, right?
I would imagine that Paulton's are quite keen to keep them coming back, otherwise they'll just go swanning off to Thorpe Park instead.
And besides, even a family theme park has to have sumat for the dad's, yes?
"Step aside son. This one's for the big boys!"

So yeah. To me it seems a natural progression for Paulton's next 'coaster' to be something a bit more juicy. I'm not talking Fury 325 here, or a big-ass RMC, that would be stupid, but a Mega-lite maybe? A Mack spinner? Hopefully not another Eurofighter - eww - but you know, that kind of thing. Or maybe they could do a Tayto and surprise everyone by pulling a decent sized woodie out of their ass. Why not? Stranger things have happened.

There you go ATI. I'm with you.... sort of.
Thrill coaster for Paulton's all the way!
Just, you know, don't hold your breath.
Ian said:
Howie is correct to say that Paultons have moved the goalposts by broadening their target age group. Their nearest rival is Chessington so if they were to get a new thrill coaster, it would be on a similar vein to what we see at CWOA...or even better, Djurs Sommerland.

At least some people can understand my logic - all I am trying to say is that their next new coaster will be thrill based - I think a gerstlauer launch coaster, but I also think that is what their next major investment could be. Their attendance is a lot higher than what it used to be, so I think they could pull it off for 2018/2019. I am seeing it in the field next to the edge and cobra where the work is going on, and I think it will either be a clone of lynet at Farup Sommerland, or a very similar kind of ride.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Interesting topic - I actually think out of all of the UK parks, Paulton's has one of the brightest futures if they continue in the same vein of quality provided by the Lost Kingdom.

But they do need something more thrilling. If a larger coaster comes, anything over 100ft is probably a no no, but I Agree they could certainly adopt Djurs Sommerland's approach of building smaller, but intense and extremely enjoyable coasters. Of course, a small size and high thrill aren't always mutually exclusive. To be a proper 'family' rather than 'kids' theme park they really do need to cater for the 12-15 range, but nothing above that. Still as said above, 6-12 should probably remain their main focus, although a coaster which keeps 12+ year olds happy doesn't necessarily need to be too large and intense for guests a little younger - there can be overlap.

Something like Lightning Run would be absolutely perfect for the park. LK cost around £9 million right? So at about £5 million (excluding theming) it's definitely affordable. That's give them a top tier coaster, which can still be ridden (and enjoyed) by the whole family (low height restriction), including the grown-ups.
But they desperately need a water ride too!