What's new

CF Music Swap

toofpikk

Mega Poster
i find with musical songs, I can only listen to them as part of the show, otherwise I'm really not interested, regardless of how high they may be considered.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I completely understand that viewpoint, which is why I tried to refrain from any. Although, I do have a lot musical songs in my playlist.

I'd love to do a musical swap, but that would take waay too long. :p

Pear

Strata Poster
I personally think Hamilton is overrated. I never understood the hype for it. I think it's just ok.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Trust me, once you start analyzing the songs and the connections between them, it becomes a work of genius. It's a lyrical masterpiece in my opinion.

Anyway, sorry to get off topic.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

mouse

Giga Poster
I'm not a fan of musicals but I am a fan of hip hop; and in my opinion Hamilton has been the most exciting thing to happen to hip hop for a while!

Lets have a couple more reviews:
______

jayjay on mouse

Lorde - Sober
I filed Melodrama under 'albums I like but should like more.' Maybe it's because I never had these kind of wild experiences and I can't relate. Still, there's a lot to like about this track. Lorde is expressive as always and I can feel some of that rush through the lyrics (the Jack and Jill line is great). The production is dark and tense until the horns come in, which feels like too much.

Childish Gambino - Redbone
I usually complain about songs that become hits through memes, but this landing on the US year-end 100 was a happy surprise. Not my favourite Childish Gambino by a long shot (but Sweatpants takes some beating) but it's got that lightly dark, chilled-out vibe going for it. You can tell he's enjoying the screaming soul man look. Stay woke.

Thundercat - Them Changes
Oh yep, this is my reminder that I still haven't listened to Drunk. The funk guitar driving along is great, and that sax solo at the end comes in at exactly the right time. Beautiful. The whole song has that undercurrent of confusion and being slightly off-kilter.

Bonobo - Kerala
Never quite found a way into these elecronic pop-ish producers like Bonobo, Hot Chip and The XX. Like, I can hear the detail and the care to create a very specific atmosphere, but it isn't doing much for me. The editing style in this video is... sure something.

Daft Punk - Within
A Daft Punk track that starts with piano? Yes please! Actually this is a brilliant little track. Very lowkey, playing well with the introspection and lonely lyrics. The melody is the sort that gets stuck in your head, but that's fine.

This was a great set of tracks, thanks! Clearly somebody who listens to similar sorts of music as me. Maybe mouse? A reminder of a couple more albums I need to listen to.
_______

Efan on TilenB

Sheppard - Coming Home
Came into this expecting not to like it, but it was actually great. While the song's a little too repetitive for me, the beat's very good and the singing is really good. The lyrics are alright but that's not really the focus of the song. 8.5/10

Jovanotti - Oh, Vita!
While I do love a bit of rap every now and then, this one wasn't really for me. I feel his voice is lacking in emotion and sounds really monotone, and I didn't really feel anything during the entire song. If I knew what he was talking about I'd probably like it better. 5.5/10

Track****taz - Oida Taunz!
This song has a pretty good beat, but I feel it's let down by the actual singing. After a minute or two their voices just got a bit annoying and the repetitiveness (is that a word?) didn't help. Got a feeling it's gonna be stuck in my head all day though. 6/10

Luisa Sobral - João
Again, this one isn't really my cup of tea, but I thought it was pretty good for what it was. The piano in the background really makes her voice better imo and her voice is already good. Despite this, it kind of felt a little one-dimensional for my taste but this is probably because I'm used to different kinds of music. 7/10

Stadio - Un giornio mi dirai
Tbh I don't usually like singers with raspy voices but actually I felt this expressed emotion better. Obviously I don't understand what he's saying but still, it sounds to me like he's really passionate about what he's singing about . The hook's (chorus? Whatever) amazing as well and again really sounds passionate and heartfelt.

mouse

Giga Poster
Gavin on jayjay

MUNA - So Special

Kind of liked it, but it felt quite reductive. Sounds like something Paula Cole would have written/sung in the '90s, only she'd have done it better. CAN'T STAND the contrived pronunciation of some of the lyrics either. "Loys, Troy, Soyde, loyfe" Stop; it's silly.

Laura Mvula - Phenomenal Woman

Saw her a few years ago as a support act and thought she was great. Got her first album, but only gave it a couple of listens. Don't know why since she's great. I like this one, but guessing it's from a 2nd album since I haven't heard it before. I'll probably check it out.

Manchester Orchestra - The Moth

Nowt wrong with it, but not going to rush out and buy their back catalogue.

Ola Kvernberg - Harlot's House

I used to like a lot of purely instrumental stuff, but found I've moved away from it. I would've liked this a few years ago, not so much now, though I can appreciate that it's decent.

FFS - Piss Off

Nah.

_______

Sandman on caffeine_demon

1 - Gotye - Somebody I used to know

I remember Gotye springing out of nowhere back in 2011 with this single. I do think it's a fantastic song made particularly interesting by Gotye's jarring vocals, but since then he's practically faded back into obscurity. A respectable one hit wonder nonetheless.

2 - Carly rae Jepson - call me maybe

Very clean and clinical production work on this fairly shambolic pop track. Lyrically speaking, it's very empty and void of real character, which could be a metaphor for Carly Rae Jepsen herself.

3 - Taylor swift - We are never getting back together

Maybe it's just me but I've always thought this song sounded a bit bitchy. Don't think Swift is quite as lame as Jepsen, she seems like an intelligent individual which is how she's carved a pop career on the back of her mediocre vocal work. I just think it's another dose of overly catchy yet meaningless drivel, no offence Taylor.

4 - Meghan Traynor - all about that bass

To whoever's picks I am reviewing, no offence but the last 3 songs are completely different to my own personal tastes. Again, feels like this song is more about that $$$ and handy production work than an artistic integrity. Probably fine if you're a fan of bubblegum pop and drawn out chorus sections.

5 - Noah and the whale - Just me before we met

I've never given much time to Noah & the Whale (I have heard a few tracks here and there). This one seems fairly good, I think Noah? (lead singer's) vocal work drives it and gives a real touch of sentiment.

mouse

Giga Poster
@jayjay

I filed Melodrama under 'albums I like but should like more.'
Fair enough, it's probably my favourite album at the moment - Lorde is incredible! @gavin out of interest, given your entries so far do you have any opinions on Lorde?

Oh yep, this is my reminder that I still haven't listened to Drunk.
You should definitely listen to it, such a brilliant album and so unique!

A Daft Punk track that starts with piano? Yes please! Actually this is a brilliant little track.
I've not been been a huge follower of Daft Punk's previous work but the Random Access Memories album is great. They used a lot of acoustic instruments and recorded everything live which seemed like a different approach for them. Deserved all the success it got! I love how much emotion they've got out of the vocoder robot voice.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
"Lorde is incredible! @gavin out of interest, given your entries so far do you have any opinions on Lorde?"

I need to give her a proper listen to be honest. I got sick of hearing Royals everywhere, so didn't go any further with her. To be honest, I'm getting tired of hearing all the "new Kate Bush" s**t as well, though that's obviously not her fault.

I'll have to give her a proper listen.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
To whoever's picks I am reviewing, no offence but the last 3 songs are completely different to my own personal tastes.

It's hard to offend me - Actually, this was my second batch - first time I'd missed the "this decade" requirement

In unrelated news, the next round should be "Childhood memories"!

mouse

Giga Poster
mouse on Sandman

Purity Ring - Lofticries (2012)
Instantly drawn in by the moody beat and vocal samples, which are then lifted by the bright synth line that comes in. Vocals are really dreamy and effective - delivery sounds a bit Bjork-y. Really nicely produced track, moody and dreamlike but still packs a punch. Liked it a lot!

Boards of Canada - White Cyclosa (2013)
I’m a fan of Boards of Canada, and this is one of their stronger tracks. Nice atmospheric piece of music that sustains the tension without becoming tiresome or repetitive.

Alex Turner - Stuck on the Puzzle (2011)
Not a bad track, I like the chilled vocals and the production is solid. Bit bland though, particularly when listened to outside of the context of the film.

The Amazing Snakeheads - Here it Comes Again (2014)
Less chilled and more frantic than the previous tracks. I quite like the singer’s quirky delivery - he would probably prefer me to call it ‘edgy’, but I’ll stick with quirky. Lyrics consist of ‘Here it comes again’ repeated again and again. Again I think this is an attempt at edginess, unless there is some kind of irony in it? Bit crap.

The Black Keys - Lonely Boy (2011)
This is fun, enjoying the music video. Song is alright, I like the mix of blues and indie rock and the production is alright. Began to lose interest about half way through tbh.
________

Two more to go!

jayjay

Giga Poster
Hey everyone! It's everyone's favourite time of year. While you're wandering around various scare mazes and wondering whether they're going to go with that cliche hairdryer-chainsaw climax, why not start coming up with a list of five spooky musical picks!

As always, send your choices in a PM to me or let me know you're going to in this thread. I'll shuffle them and send them on and you can send me your reviews.

Have fun!