What's new

Off the Radar Accidents at BPB

sandgrown

Mega Poster
I have some memories of accidents at BPB in the 80s and 90s that there is no trace of them on the internet, as far as I can tell.
It's possible that my recollection is incorrect in one or maybe, but just maybe, two instances but I can't have made them all up. I even recall seeing the news article for the RollerCoaster one on Teletext (the REAL internet).

Does anyone recognise any of the following, or can point me in the right direction of where I can do more searching.

1. An accident on the Ferris Wheel in the 80s in which a girl's hair became caught in the ride's mechanism, causing her to be scalped. The ride no longer exists.
2. The Roller-Coaster derailing causing a number of injuries. Early 90s I think.
3. Someone breaking their leg on Alice in Wonderland (!)

Ring a bell to anyone?

rob666

Hyper Poster
Heard of a death on the National that didnt get that much coverage at the time, but my original message was lost with the CPBE website.
Many thousands of minor injuries on the Mouse and Fun house, likewise the big wavy slide and Dodgems.
Finest I saw was a box of Swan Vestas going off in someone's back pocket on the joy wheel through friction, the guy dropped his trousers in front of a thousand strangers!
Your specific incidents I can't help with though Sandgrown.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I'd be interested in hearing more about the Rollercoaster derailing incident. Surprised there's diddly squat on the internet about that considering it was possibly in the 90's.

sandgrown

Mega Poster
I can't promise I'm right, but it's a specific memory of seeing the news break on Teletext, and it's too boring, straightforward, and clear to be a dream. Could I have misremembered a detail? Was it maybe not a derailment? Possibly, but something happened I think, and I DO think it was it was in the same league as the more recent Big Dipper incidents. I could write to the Gazette and ask them if anything's in their archives, but I doubt I'll get round to that.

It was in a pre-internet era, and I think it's possible it just got wiped out of history.

e2a I think if it was in the 90s it was the very early 90s.

One of the problems with an internet search for this is it's called the RollerCoaster, which plays havoc with the results.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I remember "fairly regular" news of incidents at the Beach during the 70's/80's.

Most due to rider idiocy (like standing on the Nash prior to belts being fitted)

I've also looked for news articles, but it's too long ago and not sensational enough.

Anyone remember the accident at Rhyl? A car came off at ride and hit the carousel? That was national news at the time.

Sent from my E6683 using Tapatalk

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I remember something about a girl getting scalped on Ferris wheel, but it was in Llandudno - used to go there a lot as a kid to visit my aunt - which means it's probably a bit of an urban myth that never actually happened.

Lofty

CF Legend
Didn't a woman put her leg out of an Alice In Wonderland car and break it as the cut off didn't initiate properly?

Robbie

Hyper Poster
I found a piece in the Birmingham Post from 13th August 1962 which said an 18-year-old soldier had died on BPB's Roller Coaster at the weekend, but it didn't say how.

sandgrown

Mega Poster
Okay, so the Alice in Wonderland one was real, the Ferris Wheel might have been an urban myth, and no sign of the Roller Coaster incident.

That's good enough for me to be honest. I wasn't making these all up, and the examples given of other off the radar accidents means I wasn't going crazy. I was just doubting myself after looking at Wiki information, which seems to be a bit incomplete pre-internet.

Wayne Ralph

Roller Poster
Didn't a woman put her leg out of an Alice In Wonderland car and break it as the cut off didn't initiate properly?
Im just back from there and my nephew was sittimg infromt of me and for some bizzare reason decided to stick his leg out and it could have easily got trapped on some thing if i allowed it to be out there any longer than .5 of a second