What's new

Obscure Enthusiasms

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Recently, it's become a bit of a running joke between me and a friend about the potential for there to be 'supermarket enthusiasts' and if they exist. This got me wondering, what other 'more obscure' enthusiasms (similar to supermarket enthusiasm) are there that you guys have heard of?

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
My friend is a sort-of Subway/Light rail enthusiast.. But doesn't seem to care about like.. classic trains or like commuter rail type trains. Just Subways. She'll go out of her way on vacations to go ride the subway and even has a tattoo of a subway map.

peep

CF Legend
Lol, at first I thought you meant subways as in the sandwich chain.

This is an interesting topic, intrigued to see what might appear in here.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Smithy

Strata Poster
Because I had a discount card whenever we went away somewhere in the UK we'd always get the post code of the nearest Tesco. And then it just became a thing where we made a point of visiting a Tesco everytime we went somewhere new as we realised we'd been to quite a lot of them. And then we made a list of all the different ones we've been in around the country.

Only big stores though.

Lol come at me.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
peep said:
Lol, at first I thought you meant subways as in the sandwich chain.

This is an interesting topic, intrigued to see what might appear in here.
I know this guy who keeps a yearly count of every film he's seen at the cinema. :p

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Smithy said:
Because I had a discount card whenever we went away somewhere in the UK we'd always get the post code of the nearest Tesco. And then it just became a thing where we made a point of visiting a Tesco everytime we went somewhere new as we realised we'd been to quite a lot of them. And then we made a list of all the different ones we've been in around the country.

Only big stores though.

Lol come at me.

Woo! To an extent, supermarket enthusiasts actually exist!

Pierre

Strata Poster
Not necessarily a supermarket enthusiast but we'll always go out of our way to visit a new one when it opens in the area.

I like to keep a tab of football grounds I visit but that's not as obscure as a lot of people do that.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I came across a kitchen knife enthusiast forum once, does that count?

In a more personal sense, I also frequent a competitive Pokémon forum and one dedicated to video game music. However, I don't count myself completely within the crazy bracket, knowing that places like these exist on the Internet:

http://www.cracked.com/article_15250_wt ... s-web.html

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Hey now, I'm a casual supermarket enthusiast!

It's more apparent when I'm in a different country. I like to visit different brands and see their products and see what supermarkets sell in different countries. If i see unusually an large Tesco back home, or like there used to be a brand of Sainsbury's called "Savacentres" that were like huge ASDA stores, but they rebranded them, stuff like that I try to go to if local to where I visit, but won't go out of my way.

Tesco is my favourite supermarket chain in case anyone cares. It's because of the variety on offer, their points system, their pricing. Everything is just perf. Sainsburry is probably my least favourite of the UK chains, because the variety of each product is terrible. Their crisp selection makes me angry, sometimes they won't even stock Twiglits, wtf is that??

ThomVD

Giga Poster
I get sort of like an 'enthusiast' in anything that interests me even slightly. It's part of my nature to do research into stuff and I can easily get very into something. I can't think of an example of a particularly obscure thing that I really got into though. I guess theme parks are my most unusual main interest.

Sneaky

Roller Poster
Apart from a roller coaster enthusiast I'm also a extreme weather and a fireworks enthusiast.
But I don't consider those to be that obscure, as I know quite a lot of people that like/are interested in both of those. :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Hixee said:
I'm quite in to EuroTruck simulator. Does that count?

Nah, that's just pretty tragic :p

I played the demo actually not so long ago. I've got a wheel setup with clutch and gears so thought it would be a good test.

It's actually oddly realistic. You do need to drive like you do in real life and was kind of satisfying.

Then I realised it's all about spending 2 hours on a motorway in one lane at 50 MPH and five minutes crashing into things trying to reverse.

That's pretty much every day for me travelling up and down the M6 (including the five minutes crashing into things) and I can't quite understand what fun there is to be gained :lol:

My Dad used to run a bus company and there are Bus Enthusiasts. They write down the chassis numbers of the buses!!!

He used to arrange to let them into the bus park to get them - the numbers are on the underside of the bus. Otherwise, they had a tendency to jump under buses when they were stopped to pick up passengers :lol:

I'll let you have your Euro Truck Sim in that case Hixee ;)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
furie said:
Hixee said:
I'm quite in to EuroTruck simulator. Does that count?

Nah, that's just pretty tragic :p

I played the demo actually not so long ago. I've got a wheel setup with clutch and gears so thought it would be a good test.

It's actually oddly realistic. You do need to drive like you do in real life and was kind of satisfying.

Then I realised it's all about spending 2 hours on a motorway in one lane at 50 MPH and five minutes crashing into things trying to reverse.

That's pretty much every day for me travelling up and down the M6 (including the five minutes crashing into things) and I can't quite understand what fun there is to be gained :lol:
You know the funny thing? I don't know either. :lol:

I've always liked big machines and trucks and stuff, and there's something really satisfying about negotiating tricky roads, junctions, depots etc in the trucks. Especially with oversize trailers. I find it one of the most relaxing games I own. I have to pay attention not to crash, but it's not taxing or stressful. I can watch some TV, drive along and feel far more relaxed than I do when playing any other game.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I know of a few people who like roller coasters so much, they plan trips to faraway countries just to ride one's designed for little kids!