Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Now Showing"

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Mark, May 15, 2005.

1. peep

peep Moderator Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    Saw The death of Stalin last night. It was good but the trailer spoiled a lot of the best bits for me. The cast is fantastic, Simon Russell Beale is brilliant, steals pretty much every scene he's in. It drags in some places and I think some parts are probably funnier if you have a better understanding of the history of Russia (I certainly don't). So it's alright and certainly not for everyone but if you enjoy The thick of it/Veep then you'll enjoy this.

2. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Katun
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Coaster Count:
    I watched Angel Heart last night.
    Despite decent performances from most involved, the film disappointed and after a promising start completely died on its arse for a tedious hour, before a rushed and relatively predictable climax. Felt like it had been done (better) before on several occasions.

3. Pokemaniac

Pokemaniac Well-Known Member

Tsk, tsk. Not the same guy. Not even a guy from the same country. Stieg Larsson, a Swedish writer, wrote The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. The Snowman is by Norwegian Jo Nesbø. Not defending the movie here, but get your geography straight. Yes, you struck a sore nerve. Confusing Norway and Sweden, what has the world come to...

I just saw Geostorm. And I'm just amazed. Flabbergasted. Dumbstruck. As in, struck by how incredibly DUMB this movie was.

Having seen the trailer, I knew the filmmakers didn't quite understand the fundamentals of termodynamics. But as the movie went on, it went from "They didn't get the thermodynamics right" through "Actually, they didn't get the physics right at all" to "Nobody involved with the creative process of this movie could possibly have passed - nay, attended - Science class on a secondary school level". And then after butchering physics, it went on to repeatedly leap in the face of all logic like a salmon up a waterfall. I patiently waited, tried to pay close attention, and thought it all through afterwards, and I didn't find a single instance of the film getting a single piece of scientific or technical detail right. Not one. They got everything wrong. Literally. The technical stuff I could understand, but neither did it understand anything about management, politics, basic decisionmaking, human reactions to any situation whatsoever, any natural phenomenon, even goddamn traffic. The film also went through every cliché on the checklist. Name it, it was in there. The evil Brit. The black guy (well, minority) who dies first. The brothers reconciling. The noble heroic sacrifice the hero makes it out of anyway. When the big, red countdown to disaster (90 minutes, to the second!) appeared on a large screen, the whole audience laughed.

It got to the point where it could have worked as a spoof film. It could have been salvaged if it had dared go all over the top. But it took itself way too seriously for even that. Apparently, this movie was made with a straight face.

On my way home from the cinema, I debated whether this or After Earth was the dumbest, most intellectually insulting movie I've ever seen. I think I'd call it a tie. It's not a "leave your brain at the door" film. It's a "leave your brain and your whole education at the door, and forget it where you put it afterwards" film.

Final verdict: 1/3

Howie and Hixee like this.
  4. peep

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    Ha, apologies. I think my brain thought it read that somewhere (the same writer), didn't even bother checking who wrote Dragon tattoo.

5. tomahawk

tomahawk Moderator Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Outlaw Run
    Best Park:
    Dollywood
    Coaster Count:
    Thor Fragglerock

I've never been a fan of Thor films. Thought they were pure garbage to be honest. After GotG2, seeing the trailer for this had my cringing. After the forced comedy of that movie, I was afraid this was going to be the same. It was genuinely funny. Stupid funny, but not beat you over the head Grown Ups 2 in space (GotG2) "funny."

I thought the way they had the different parts of the movie were great. Thor can't carry a film on his own, neither can Hulk, but together it was great. I wanted to hate it going in, but I just couldn't.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6. LiveForTheLaunch

LiveForTheLaunch Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Eejanaika
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    Finally got around to watching the live action Beauty and the Beast and I genuinely loved it. Although I enjoy Disney and love the parks, I don't consider myself a fanatic by any stretch of the imagination so I don't think that everything they produce is gold, but I thought it was great. Actually, I've been really impressed with all the live action films they've done thus far even though I was skeptical about them at first. I thought the acting was good, I loved the atmosphere, and surprisingly I found it got me a bit emotional at the end. I'd definitely watch it again. 8/10

7. Edward M

Edward M Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Tokyo Disneysea
    Coaster Count:
    Florida Project- This is right there with Blade Runner 2049 for the best movie this year. Everything about it was simply wonderful, and I think anyone who is in the least bit interested in movies and Disney parks should try and see this ASAP. The performances were fantastic, mainly from the little girl who's the protagonist and Willem Dafoe, who needs an Oscar for this. But, mainly, it was a beautiful portrayal of childhood and what these kids, miles away from the fantasy of Disney World, do daily in this strip of motels. It's just beautiful, and I loved it so much.

Blade Runner 2049- Ahhh, I loved it so much. I know it was not the most plot heavy, but it was perfect for a detective story. It didn't have to rush any plot and spent time creating my favorite depiction of the future on film, possibly even better than the original's. It's just an unbelievably gorgeous film that is anchored by a fantastic performance from Ryan Gosling. I loved every minute of the three hour film because I just loved seeing this world. In fact, I preferred the first and second act because it was mainly slowly solving a mystery and letting me live in this future for a bit. Plus, the question of what humanity means is always a great philosophical question to be leaving the theater with.

Lady Bird- This may be the best coming of age film I've seen. With this, there was no cliché portrayal; everyone felt so real. It is largely about the struggle of identity within high school and even afterwards. With the main character and even her parents, none of them no what to do; they just know they aren't happy with how things are. This portrayal of confusion within oneself felt so refreshing for a film like this. I also loved that it took place in 2002, a time that most films aren't often in. It's a very unique time for the film to be in. The ending, which I won't ruin, is so perfect for the film. Highly recommend this one.

Meyerowitz Stories- This film is slow, with characters being built up rather individually until the second half. We understand all of their relationships to their father, who is a rather cold man. Shockingly, I felt Adam Sandler gave by far the best performance. He was just fantastic. Ben Stiller was good though I saw just Ben Stiller a lot more than Sandler or Hoffman. Overall, it was just a well done and interesting perspective on parental relationships and the impact they have. Wonderful film.

8. peep

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    Saw a bunch of films on Saturday. Started with Murder on the Orient Express which I thought was excellent. Despite loving detective dramas I'd never seen an adaptation of this Agatha Christie novel. I thought the cast were excellent and it looked fantastic, I also love how it kept me guessing till the very end.

Bad Moms at Christmas was next. I quite liked the first film and this one certainly has its moments but I would say most of it plays like a family drama with the odd bit of outrageous humour. It ends up being quite uneven and most of the comedy ends up feeling cringy and out of place. Oh and that end credits dance sequence made me want to die <//3

Killing of a sacred deer. I was intrigued by this film, I thought the director's previous work (the Lobster) was bizarre, amusing and very watchable. I felt like this was just bizarre and neither amusing or watchable. Really didn't like this one.

Jigsaw. I actually haven't seen all of the Saw films but decided to check this out anyway. Felt like the only thing not in the trailer was the terrible dialogue and the "twist" which the Japanese couple sitting next to me couldn't get over - I think they were more invested in this franchise than I'll ever be. So umm, save yourself a few hours and just watch the trailer?

9. peep

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    Paddington 2 - One of the best films of the year, just an absolute joy to watch. The visual effects are incredibly seamless and there are plenty of funny moments throughout. I really didn't think they'd be able to match the excellence of the first film but they somehow did, I highly recommend you see both of the Paddington films.

10. peep

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    Ingrid goes West - Was looking forward to this film about a crazy lady stalking people via Instagram and then in real life and overall it pretty much met my expectations. It's not fantastic but I enjoyed it and it helped I liked the cast.

Film stars don't die in Liverpool - The cast in this film were all excellent and I thought it was a very emotional film. Some of the transitions from flashback to "current" timeline were beautiful. I liked how a pivotal sequence was seen from both perspectives, totally flipped my own opinion of how things happened.