Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Now Showing"

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Mark, May 15, 2005.

1. ThomVD

ThomVD Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Helix
    Best Park:
    Gröna Lund
    Coaster Count:
    Not sure why, but Kubo didn't really do it for me. It looked beautiful and was very creative, but I thought it was poorly paced, dialogue was a bit clunky and it generally just didn't really click with me. Still liked it, but not as much as the ones I listed.

2. peep

peep Moderator Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    The Founder

A really enjoyable film, pacing was a bit odd, sometimes it felt like it was going to fast/skipping stuff and other times it just lulled about. I'm always fascinated by these types of stories but boy do the peeps in the story annoy me.

Logan

Was really looking forward to seeing this and it totally exceeded my expectations. I've enjoyed the stand alone Wolverine films despite clearly being a bit awful, however this film is on another level. Going full-gore in the action scenes really makes it stand out. I found it quite emotional at times and some scenes totally took me by surprise, the acting is just fantastic . It's not perfect but I think it's my second favourite X-Men film (after Deadpool).

3. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Helix.
    Best Park:
    Universal Studios Fl
    Coaster Count:
    Logan
    One bad-ass film, this. Very, very different to all the other entries in the saga - more grown up, more personal, more down-to-earth, a lot more savage... and all the better for it. Plays more like 'Man On Fire' than a regular Marvel movie. Which is a good thing.
    Bit talky in places perhaps, could have done with 10 or 15 mins shaved off the running time, but those talky bits pay off in the end, making the finalé a really rather emotional affair. Pack some tissues.
    Kudos to Patrick Stewart as 'Chuck' Xavier. Brilliant work, old man, brilliant work.
    First film I've seen in ages where the audience clapped & cheered at the end.
    8/10.

4. gavin

gavin Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Social Media Team CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Boulder Dash
    Best Park:
    Tokyo DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    Some stuff since last time. I'm sure there must be more, but I can't think of them now.

Logan

I basically agree with what others have said: it's excellent. It's completely unlike any other of the films in the franchise. It's almost like a standalone film really, and probably could have been, but it might not have had the same impact if you're not at least passingly familiar with the characters. Patrick Stewart's performance is award-worthy, but that's obviously not happening since it was released at the wrong time and "superhero" films - though this really isn't one - are basically never looked at (Deadpool was nominated for stuff under a "comedy" category).

Jackie

I liked it up to a point, but found myself mentally switching off about halfway through. Natalie Portman is very good in that she does quite a bit more than impersonate Jackie Kennedy, but she was never really convincing enough to make you forget you were watching Natalie Portman.

La La Land

I thought I'd put this in earlier, but clearly not. I really enjoyed it at the time, which is obviously a good thing, but in hindsight it doesn't hold any water. If I was watching it at home, instead of being "trapped" in the cinema, I'd have probably spent most of it checking my Facebook. My issues with it:

• Incredibly repetitive music. It's mostly just variations on the exact same theme, and it's not even that good.
    • Considering it's a musical with dance numbers, the lead actors are crap at singing and dancing. Their acting was very good, admittedly, but the poor musical sections were a distraction.
    • Very unlikable characters when you think about it. Not that you have to like the characters, obviously, but we're kind of rooting for this "lovely" couple when they're actually just a pair of c**ts who look pretty.
    • Actually a crap premise for a story: couple break up due to scheduling conflicts.
    • Award fodder - Hollywood voters vote for films about Hollywood since it makes them think that their jobs are important and they like to think they recognise the "struggles" of the characters.
    Honestly, I think this will be the Oscar version of Avatar. A massive film at the time which nobody will watch a second time and will disappear from public consciousness very quickly, only to be remembered because of the f**k up at the Oscars. When you compare to the joint record holders, Titanic and All About Eve, I don't imagine for a second that this will have anywhere near the longevity and be a cultural reference point for years/decades to come.

For a film I enjoyed watching at the time, as I did with Avatar, I'm surprised that the more I think about it, the more I actually detest it.

Hidden Figures

Very good film. I watched it partly because I f**king love Taraji P. Henson, and mostly because I was very curious to see what Janelle Monae was like as an actress since I absolutely adore that woman. She was excellent. Definitely one to watch and no doubt will be getting flooded with offers after being in two films that were nominated for Best Picture, one of which won. I hope she doesn't move away from music though. Anyway, yeah, very good film all around with an excellent cast, right down to the smaller roles.

Moonlight

I didn't enjoy it - it's a slog to get through - but it's very clearly an excellently made film and very original in terms of the themes. Award bait? Possibly, since it ticks a lot of boxes in that area, but not an undeserving Oscar winner by any stretch. So yeah, an "excellent" film that is actually quite bloody boring to sit through if that makes sense.

Lego Batman

Loved it. Just a lot of fun and very funny for a "kids" film.

Split

Another one I thought I'd mentioned since it was ages ago now. Meh. Watchable rubbish I suppose. Hated the ending and found the whole premise of split personalities tired and trite. People raving about James McAvoy's performance - no. A series of over-affected mannerisms and a couple of passable accents isn't an indication of solid acting.

Will likes this.
  5. DelPiero

DelPiero Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Went to see La La Land at the weekend, because the wife wanted to.
    Didn't like the opening scene, just didn't fit with the rest of the film, also not a fan of the floating in the Planetarium bit. Rest of it was OK, but really lacked drive in the first 1/2, once it started moving the story it was quite enjoyable. I thought Emma's acting was cracking though, no surprise she won the award.
    Not my kind of film, I'd rather re-watch Die Hard.

6. peep

peep Moderator Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    Kong: Skull Island

I loved the director's first film (Kings of Summer) so was really looking forward to this, especially with such an epic cast. I have a few minor gripes with this film in that it does feel like it is jumping from one set piece to another (which was apparently the intention) and while it kinda irked me I think it also helped the time just disappear and also sell how ridiculous the scale of the island is etc. Some of the dialogue is also a bit ropey and a lot of the characters aren't really developed. However the issues end there, it looks absolutely amazing, the visual effects are phenomenal, the scale of everything just feels impressive. It's also just a lot of fun, the set pieces are really exciting and unique. The end credits scene was interesting, more intrigued to see if the studio actually pushes that to be a thing or not.

Apparently the director really wants to make a Metal Gear Solid film and I really hope he does, he certainly makes interesting and enjoyable films.

7. gavin

gavin Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Social Media Team CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Boulder Dash
    Best Park:
    Tokyo DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    Beauty and the Beast

I was equal parts excited and worried to see it since it's my favourite Disney film. I actually really liked it. It looks gorgeous, which is a given really, and had some really strong performances.

Emma Watson, though. No. Awful. The singing was passable actually, better than I was expecting, but the girl just can't act for s**t.

8. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Helix.
    Best Park:
    Universal Studios Fl
    Coaster Count:
    John Wick: Chapter 2
    Keanu Reeves dressed in a suit shoots people in the head for 2 hours.
    Best. Film. Ever!
    Oh, except this one guy who he kills by shoving a pencil in his ear.

I'm a simple man of simple pleasures.

9. tomahawk

tomahawk Moderator Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Outlaw Run
    Best Park:
    Dollywood
    Coaster Count:
    Done some binging the past few weeks.

Arrival
    Loved it. Found it to be fantastic. With that though, I find Amy Adams extremely boring and dry, especially at the beginning. As it got into the meat of the movie, I was hooked. Great twist.

Hacksaw Ridge
    Another fantastic movie, wish I would have seen it in theaters, but meh.

Keeping up with the Jones
    Mindless stupidity, but enjoyable for what it was.

Logan
    Was really looking forward to it, and it didn't disappoint. I feel this is how all Wolverine movies should have been.

Neighbors 2
    I loved the first one, and heard this was :emoji_poop:, so I waited until it hit HBO. Good idea. It was trash. It lacked everything from the first one. Chloe Moritz is very meh. Did nothing for me.

Kong: Skull Island
    Visually it was amazing, story wise it was lacking in parts, but I'm excited for the next chapters.

I think that's it for now.