What's new

"Now Showing"

peep

CF Legend
Pete's Dragon

I thought this was a nicely made film, it looked fantastic and the cast were excellent. Not a massive fan of the dragon design but aside from that the animation and textures were phenomenal. It's not the best film but it's a really solid family movie for a Sunday afternoon.

Mike and Dave need wedding dates

I thought this was a really funny film, there were moments that were a bit too awkward for my liking and sometimes things went on longer than they needed to but overall it was an enjoyable film to watch.

peep

CF Legend
Bad Moms

This could have easily been a really bad comedy with all the funny moments in the trailer, so glad it wasn't! I thoroughly enjoyed it, it was funny, the cast were amazing and it never had a proper cringey moment that made me want to leave.

Purge: Election Year

I've enjoyed the Purge films, I think they have a really unique concept and I love how each one feels really different. One thing I don't remember the others being is filmed really poorly and shoddily edited. There were times where I just couldn't really tell what was going on because the camera didn't stop moving and the cuts were insane, it didn't make me feel "on edge" or "immersed in the action" it made me want to throw things at the screen. This is becoming a far too common in films and it's really annoying me, I actively avoided the latest Jason Bourne purely for this reason. Urgh. Apart from that it does have another cool concept and story in there, just a shame it gets a little repetitive towards the end.

Morgan

I didn't know much about this film going in, I only saw a teaser trailer months ago and knew a relative of Ridley Scott was directing (it's his son). I really enjoyed it, it's very predictable (although those sitting near me clearly couldn't keep up and had to keep verbally saying wtf was going on, people are awful). I thought it was shot beautifully and it's slightly slow pace built up some nice tension. The cast are phenomenal (Paul Giamatti is epic as per usual). Judging by comments on a facebook ad for it though it might be best going in not knowing anything (sounds like the marketing is for a horror, which it isn't).

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
Kubo and the Two Strings

Haven't seen a review for this movie so...

I really wouldn't be surprised if this movie wins the Oscar for best animated film. Laika is one of the most underated animation studios out there. All of their movies have been nominated for the Oscar but have never won. Laika's stopmotion approach is there signature aspect of their films and this one is no exception. The fluidity of the animation had me forget I was watching puppets move. The story itself is very well developed and beautiful but the pacing was off by just a bit. Characters were superbly developed with attributes that make each of them unique. The action and the choreography is fantastic as well as the visual effects. The cinematography was amazing as well especially on the final battle scene. In conclusion, Kubo is by far Laika's best film and my favorite stop motion film to date.

Watch it!

Shirofukurou

Mega Poster
Re: "Now Showing"

I saw Kubo the other day and loved it as well! It's an incredible work of art, with great characters and an engaging story. The scene with the Skeleton was particularly impressive!

Sadly it has been doing quite poorly financially but Stop Motion movies are box office flops almost all the time (the exception being Chicken Run) and they still get made. I look forward to seeing more from Laika, and am eagerly anticipating new stop motion movies from both Aardman and Wes Anderson in 2018!

Benenen

Hyper Poster
David Brent: Life on the Road
I'm a huge fan of cringe comedy so was excited to see this film was being made. The first half was great, I could spend hours watching Brent making a tit of himself and this was just him going from catastrophe to catastrophe. However towards the end it stops being funny because they turn him into too much of a pity character, if you've ever watched Derek the last half hour was literally just that. Overall it definitely had its moments but I think how much you enjoy it really depends on how much of a fan you are of the UK Office.

Sausage Party
Even though I saw this over a week ago I still chuckle to myself a bit when I think about how silly the ending was. I don't think I've ever seen an entire cinema erupt into so much laughter before. The rest of the film is really solid too, there's nothing particularly big or clever about it, it's just a fun goofy way to spend 80 minutes.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Jarrett said:
Sausage Party

I went in thinking this might actually be an R-rated comedy I could enjoy because while it could be packed with dirty jokes at the end of the day it is just cartoon talking food. Ummm...

MY+EYES.gif

By far the most extreme thing I've ever seen in my life. This movie is hilarious, don't get me wrong, I like offensive violent humor, but some of the sex stuff scarred me for life. I agree with the guy I spoke with at the theater, it should have been NC-17.

^This. Just got round to seeing it myself and have to agree. Definitely worth seeing.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

S**te.

I didn't really like the book. It started off with a really interesting premise, which the film has basically ignored, but went to crap in the second half. I'd heard that the film had totally changed the second half, which it has. However, they've somehow made it even worse.

Yeah, it's a kids' film, which I know it would be, but it's actually pretty dark and gruesome for the target audience.

Eva Green is fab though.

peep

CF Legend
The Infiltrator

I didn't know much about this film going in and was pleasantly surprised to see it was produced by some awesome peeps I used to work with. I thought it was ok, there were time where I was a bit confused as to what was going on, I suppose they didn't want to spend too much time explaining everything going on (like in The big short). They certainly tried to cram a lot of story in though and it was entertaining throughout.

Kubo and the two strings

Urgh, so annoyingly this played with subtitles which was distracting. It looked absolutely beautiful though and it was really engaging. It was amusing, quite dark and I still can't get over the fact it's stop motion animation. Laika are on a roll, I look forward to seeing what they come out with next.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Don't breathe - A group of chavvy thugs take on "one final big house robbery" of a blind ex vet who has a big stash of money from a lawsuit. It doesn't go as planned and results in a brilliantly tense, well executed old fashioned horror.

great stuff!

nadroJ

CF Legend
Re: "Now Showing"

Thekingin64 said:
Jarrett said:
Sausage Party

I went in thinking this might actually be an R-rated comedy I could enjoy because while it could be packed with dirty jokes at the end of the day it is just cartoon talking food. Ummm...

MY+EYES.gif

By far the most extreme thing I've ever seen in my life. This movie is hilarious, don't get me wrong, I like offensive violent humor, but some of the sex stuff scarred me for life. I agree with the guy I spoke with at the theater, it should have been NC-17.

^This. Just got round to seeing it myself and have to agree. Definitely worth seeing.

Are you kidding me? It was **** tripe. Absolute garbage. I like lowbrow when it's clever like South Park, but for a film as big a turdfest as Sausage Party to have the audacity to try to take the piss out of Pixar just filled me with rage. Dull and trying to play the shock value card and failing, because seriously how long can a swearing sausage be funny for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pierre

Strata Poster
I'm going to mince the topic up a little and say I went to see Bridget Jones's Baby

The film was REALLY funny - however I went with the other half and we had a row of ladies behind us absolutely swooning over Patrick Dempsey at every given opportunity :lol:

It's a predictable storyline, but it's still hilarious. The capers Bridget finds herself in are very slapstick but that's my kind of humour.

Colin Firth is looking OLD however.

peep

CF Legend
Storks

Really enjoyed this, it's rather predictable at times but there's gags in there that make me chuckle every time I think about them. The animation is cool too. There's a Lego short beforehand which is also rather amusing.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar children

Unlike Gavin I quite liked this. Chris O'Dowd's American accent is a disaster though. I enjoyed the rather 80s Burton feel to some of the scenes with the creatures that look like they were stop motion animated. I thought the bad creature things were a bit too similar to Slender Man? It's not fantastic but it's a good Sunday afternoon watch.

War on everyone

I knew nothing bar the two stars and who it was written/directed by. I was quite excited for it as I loved the Guard and Calvary. I didn't really get on with this film though. It was ok and it was amusing at times but I think the Irish writer's humour doesn't really work in an American setting.

Also watched two Netflix original movies this week. Audrie and Daisy is a documentary about several girls that were raped and how the situations were handled. It's quite moving and I think the way the documentary portrays some people is clever and your opinion of them shifts as it goes on.

Fundamentals of Caring is a dark comedy about a guy looking after a guy with a rare disorder and they end up on a road trip. It's much funnier than I was expecting if a little predictable. If you have netflix I'd recommend checking it out.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Scream Pretty Peggy

A '70s made-for-tv horror which I watched after years of not bothering, but finally got around to because I'll watch anything with Bette Davis.

God it was awful. Not even Bette Davis could save it.

spicy

Giga Poster
The Girl on the Train.

Haven't read the book but it is a terrible film.

Emily Blunt's performance is good but it doesn't make up for the dire, boring, slow waste of time that this is.

peep

CF Legend
^ I really like Emily Blunt but can't bring myself to go and see it, from a bunch of poor reviews to a really awful trailer I just feel like I'll be bored.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople

So this film is receiving a lot of hype from people that have seen it and while it's a lovely film with some extremely funny moments I think there's quite a few dull patches here and there. The cast are excellent though, it's the best performance I've seen by Sam Neill. And when it is funny it's really funny. I'm really looking forward to seeing what writer/director Taika Waititi (What we do in the shadows) does with Thor 3.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The Accountant

I suppose it was ok? I sort of switched off after a while and found it a bit tedious. Excellent cast though if you do your best to ignore Ben Affleck.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Taken 3

It was on TV an I turned it on for background noise, then 20 minutes later I turned it off because it wasn't worth that.

Magnificent Seven

The girl was attractive any my wife enjoyed staring at Chris Pratt. There.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

peep

CF Legend
Jack Reacher 2

I remember enjoying the first one and that's about it. This one is quite similar really, quite forgettable and paint by numbers but still enjoyable to watch. It's just a well made action/thriller.

Keeping up with the Joneses

I really enjoyed this. It wasn't hilarious like I was expecting but there are still plenty of very funny moments. I thought the main 4 actors had great chemistry and it was just a joy to watch. The action sequences were pretty decent too.

peep

CF Legend
Doctor Strange in 3D LieMax

This film is worth seeing just for the incredible visuals. It's just really impressive. I thought the cast were great. The film seems to move really quickly though, almost a bit rushed in places so the film isn't perfect but it's enjoyable enough throughout.

FYI there's two credit sequences, one after the fab main credits and then one at the very end of the billions of names that made it look amazing.