What's new

No Six Flags Dubai...for now.

Matt N

CF Legend
I believe they are in Dubai. But as to where I don't know. They dont appear to be on the Six Flags site but I believe the plan is it will go up at Bollywood at some point.

As a small tangent. There is apparently currently a custom Maurer Spinner for sale on the 2nd hand market. I assumed it was either the one at Respublika in Ukraine that never opened or the one at Shaoxing in China that has been sat around unbuilt for a few years. But it could possibly be the one here if there are no plans for DXB to build it now.
Ah right. Thanks for the clarification @roomraider!

As for the Maurer spinner for sale on the used market, are there any pictures on whichever site it's for sale on? Sorry to keep pestering you; I'm just curious, and you seem to have a lot of knowledge about these Eastern parks!

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry for double posting, but I was having a read through TowersTimes, and I was reading through their thread on Dubai Parks & Resorts, and I stumbled across a little more info posted by theparklifekid, who lives in Dubai. Here's some of the stuff I managed to find out:
  • The red coaster that @roomraider mentions is apparently the originally intended Mack hyper coaster for the entrance.
  • The S&S Free Spin that has been shipped is planned to go to Motiongate's Lionsgate area and may potentially have a Saw theme.
  • There is also a Zamperla Family Gravity Coaster 80STD that has been shipped (the same layout as Dragon's Apprentice at nearby Legoland Dubai and many other parks across the world). This is rumoured to be going to Bollywood.
  • The location for the Maurer spinner is yet to be decided between Motiongate or Bollywood.
  • A key Motiongate manager also acknowledged the construction in a February 2020 Emirates World podcast, referring to it as "a big expansion to the Lionsgate section": https://cdn.ek.aero/downloads/ek/trailers/220201389.mp3
Here's the TowersTimes topic I was reading: https://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=40986&start=180

Some of this info may have changed slightly, as it's from November 2019, but it's some of the most up-to-date news I can find.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Sorry for double posting, but I was having a read through TowersTimes, and I was reading through their thread on Dubai Parks & Resorts, and I stumbled across a little more info posted by theparklifekid, who lives in Dubai. Here's some of the stuff I managed to find out:
  • The red coaster that @roomraider mentions is apparently the originally intended Mack hyper coaster for the entrance.
  • The S&S Free Spin that has been shipped is planned to go to Motiongate's Lionsgate area and may potentially have a Saw theme.
  • There is also a Zamperla Family Gravity Coaster 80STD that has been shipped (the same layout as Dragon's Apprentice at nearby Legoland Dubai and many other parks across the world). This is rumoured to be going to Bollywood.
  • The location for the Maurer spinner is yet to be decided between Motiongate or Bollywood.
  • A key Motiongate manager also acknowledged the construction in a February 2020 Emirates World podcast, referring to it as "a big expansion to the Lionsgate section": https://cdn.ek.aero/downloads/ek/trailers/220201389.mp3
Here's the TowersTimes topic I was reading: https://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=40986&start=180

Some of this info may have changed slightly, as it's from November 2019, but it's some of the most up-to-date news I can find.
I can't help but wonder where the red Mack hyper coaster is going. It'd certainly give Bollywood a star attraction ahead of that Mack PowerSplash and the dark rides, but it could also be a great signature attraction for Motiongate. Does anybody have any ideas as to what coaster model the white Intamin track is for?

Matt N

CF Legend
I can't help but wonder where the red Mack hyper coaster is going. It'd certainly give Bollywood a star attraction ahead of that Mack PowerSplash and the dark rides, but it could also be a great signature attraction for Motiongate. Does anybody have any ideas as to what coaster model the white Intamin track is for?
Based on what @Ben said, I'm going to guess a Red Force-style LSM Launch Coaster, which presuming it's the world's tallest as he says would certainly give them a flagship attraction!

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
^Yes, but they are the pinnacle of uninspiring nowadays. They could do with something original (and obviously better).

Original is not always obviously better.
Flashback.jpg

And besides if you are going for the worlds tallest coaster. Why would you go for anything else?

You are looking at this purely for an enthusiast point of view.
Worlds tallest coaster and extraordinary amounts of money go hand in hand. So you're going to want to save money where you can (unless you are a park litterally funded by the rulers of one of the richest nations in the world like SFSA) . The Red Force layout is the most efficient and cheapest way to get that record as it has the least amount of tall structure needed for a full circuit ride. Its also a well proven design and one that 99.9% of your guests won't have ridden before considering the nearest similar ride is over 2000miles away in Russia (and also not built yet anyway).

So yes. If Dubai Parks and Resorts have any sense (which is admitedly up for debate) it would be a Red Force layout.

Edit: the only other way i can see it being done is something similar to BGW's up and coming shuttle coaster. But right next to Hunger Games that would be an odd choice.

And I'm still sceptical of either concept. I'm not sure theres even the space to fit either one of these ride types in.

Last edited:

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Original is not always obviously better.
View attachment 8245

And besides if you are going for the worlds tallest coaster. Why would you go for anything else?

You are looking at this purely for an enthusiast point of view.
Worlds tallest coaster and extraordinary amounts of money go hand in hand. So you're going to want to save money where you can (unless you are a park litterally funded by the rulers of one of the richest nations in the world like SFSA) . The Red Force layout is the most efficient and cheapest way to get that record as it has the least amount of tall structure needed for a full circuit ride. Its also a well proven design and one that 99.9% of your guests won't have ridden before considering the nearest similar ride is over 2000miles away in Russia (and also not built yet anyway).

So yes. If Dubai Parks and Resorts have any sense (which is admitedly up for debate) it would be a Red Force layout.
Oh just for going for the world's tallest gimick the layout makes sense from a business point of view. I just think there are better alternatives, such as BGW's giga shuttle for example.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I had a discussion about that BGW coaster that opens a whole other can of worms :rolleyes:.
The general opinion we reached was if the whole train doesnt reach a height higher than the previous record holder it couldn't realisticly be counted as the worlds tallest. One reason among many being if you then count that then Magnum was never the tallest coaster in the world since Moonsault Scramble was taller.

But thats a chat for another day.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
^What I will say is I would like to see a coaster of this kind have a 270° spiral on the way up instead of on the way down. That would be enough to draw my attention towards it.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Your top ten must be utter **** if Red Force is uninspiring yet listed as #8. I would have been knocking on the door to my 500th coaster this year, and even though Top Thrill Dragster has fallen out of my top ten as I traveled more, yet it is still gives one of the biggest thrills I've ever experienced. I can't see how a 100+ mph launch and 400+ foot height can possibly be considered uninspiring.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Your top ten must be utter **** if Red Force is uninspiring yet listed as #8. I would have been knocking on the door to my 500th coaster this year, and even though Top Thrill Dragster has fallen out of my top ten as I traveled more, yet it is still gives one of the biggest thrills I've ever experienced. I can't see how a 100+ mph launch and 400+ foot height can possibly be considered uninspiring.
Red Force is number 8 because I haven't ridden a great deal of coasters, at least that I can remember. I don't include any coasters I rode when I was in Florida as it was many years ago and my memories are vague.

So while I don't love Red Force (there are only few coasters that I do) it therefore makes my top 10.

You as an enthusiast with nearly 500 coasters ridden should know that height and speed exclusively don't make a great coaster.

Rupert

Mega Poster
^What I will say is I would like to see a coaster of this kind have a 270° spiral on the way up instead of on the way down. That would be enough to draw my attention towards it.
I’ve also thought about this but the issue with it would be the train accelerating to its fastest speed and then immediately going into a high-speed turn which would feel like your neck was being wrenched off.

Currently on the way up, the train gets over half way up the top hat, losing speed, before starting the 90° turn which is pretty drawn out. On the way down, the train starts from a very low speed after cresting the top hat and can complete the 270° turn by the time it has descended halfway, so the speed isn’t too much to be uncomfortable (notwithstanding KK’s general roughness that makes the whole thing pretty unbearable anyway).

So I think altering this layout would likely result in something where the forces were just too unpleasant, whereas currently they’re pretty incredible - agreeing with Antinos that TTD is amazing.

Matt N

CF Legend
You as an enthusiast with nearly 500 coasters ridden should know that height and speed exclusively don't make a great coaster.
But surely what makes a good coaster is entirely down to personal opinion? People like different things in a coaster; some people might love nothing more than height and speed, in which case this style of layout will be right up their street. Some, like yourself, might not be as enamoured with it, in which case they just think these coasters are OK or even potentially not like them. There's no specific recipe for a good coaster; everyone likes different types of coaster with different elements, and that's fine by me! If everyone liked the same sort of coaster, then every theme park would have the same coaster lineup and these forums would be very boring indeed!

Anyway, irregardless of layout, I think most people will find a 400+ft, 100+mph coaster pretty darn exciting!

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry for double posting, but I just found this really interesting website with very detailed info about a Six Flags Dubai proposal from the past, designed by a company named Legacy Entertainment (just as a side note, most of the art I'm referring to here is on page 1, with a little bit on page 2.): http://www.themeparx.com/six-flags-dubai/

I'm not sure whether this is the proposal that DXB Entertainment was going to build or whether it was the past Tatweer proposal (I'm going to assume the former, but I don't want to be too sure as quite a few of the proposed attractions are very similar to those that are currently stored at Dubai Parks & Resorts), but some of the interesting points to note include:
  • The park's themed lands were based on emotions, and were to be as follows; Celebrate, Imagine, Play, Discover, Explore and Wonder.
  • Some of the themed lands were also described in more detail, with concept art included (all credit for this concept art goes to an unnamed member on ThemeParX.com, by the way), and while I describe some of the lands, note the similarities between some of the rides described and some of the rides currently stored at Dubai Parks & Resorts, although I admit some of the exact technicalities have changed e.g. manufacturer; maybe these are the types of themes that some of the rides stored would have had if Six Flags Dubai had come to fruition?
  • Explore would have been "a homage to the golden age of travel" and would have featured rides such as Screamin' Eagle, a B&M dive coaster, and Roaring Rapids, presumably a rapids ride. There would also have been a vintage cars and a parachute tower:
Six-Flags-Theme-Park-Design-Explore-1.jpg

Six-Flags-Theme-Park-Design-Explore-2.jpg

Six-Flags-Theme-Park-Design-Explore-3.jpg

Six-Flags-Theme-Park-Design-Explore-4.jpg

Six-Flags-Theme-Park-Design-Explore-5.jpg

Six-Flags-Theme-Park-Design-Explore-6.jpg

Six-Flags-Theme-Park-Design-Explore-7.jpg

Six-Flags-Theme-Park-Design-Explore-8.jpg

• Discover would have been "a showcase of some of Six Flags' most epic and heroic brands", and would have featured attractions such as The Dubai Giant, a B&M giga coaster that upon opening would have been "the world's tallest, fastest and longest hyper coaster" (which does beg the question of whether it was destined to be a hyper or giga, but that's besides the point; I think this could have evolved into the Mack hypercoaster), as well as Colossus, a clone of El Toro manufactured by Intamin (I'd assume that this could have evolved into the GCI):
Six-Flags-Dubai-Discover1.jpg

Six-Flags-Dubai-Discover2.jpg

Six-Flags-Dubai-Discover3.jpg

Six-Flags-Dubai-Discover4.jpg

Six-Flags-Dubai-Roller-Coaster.jpg

Six-Flags-Dubai-Discover5.jpg

Six-Flags-Dubai-Discover6.jpg

Six-Flags-Dubai-Discover7.jpg

Six-Flags-Dubai-Discover8.jpg

Six-Flags-Dubai-Discover9.jpg

• Play would have been themed as a "kinetic wonderland" and was inspired by the 1964 World's Fair. It apparently would have featured "wind-powered kinetic sculptures" to help power the land, and while not much is specified in terms of rides, I'm going to guess that this would have been the park's kids area:
Play1.jpg

Play2.jpg

Play3.jpg

Play4.jpg

Play5.jpg

Play6.jpg

Play7.jpg

Play8.jpg

Play9.jpg

• Imagine would have been themed as an "optimistic futurescape", and attractions would have included a family suspended coaster, a "hanging dark ride" and Z-Force, a madhouse. I couldn't guess what became of anything planned for this area:
1Imagine.jpg

2Imagine.jpg

3Imagine.jpg

4Imagine.jpg

5Imagine.jpg

6Imagine.jpg

7Imagine.jpg

8Imagine.jpg

• Wonder would have been themed as an Asian garden village, and would have contained attractions such as Ninja, a spinning coaster that looks to be a Maurer from the renderings (this could have been the white and aqua Maurer spinner currently stored), Tatsu, a Mack water coaster (could this have evolved into the PowerSplash?) and The Magic Pagoda, which is described as a "Tilt House Walkthrough" (I don't know what on earth that is and I couldn't guess what became of it, either.):
Wonder2.jpg

Wonder3.jpg

Wonder4.jpg

Wonder5.jpg

Wonder6.jpg

Wonder8.jpg

On the whole, I think the park would have been fantastic had it come to fruition, with some incredibly abstract themes! With regard to the rides, I think the link between some of the rides in this park and the rides present at Six Flags Dubai is something worth noting, but if this is a completely different proposal, then I hope you find it interesting; I know I'd certainly never seen this concept art before!

By the way, there are more images on the site if you fancy a look!