What's new

Newton2 Help

jolash

Mega Poster
I've always looked down upon the use of tools in NoLimits. But after years of frustrating hand building with horrible banking and pump issues, I figured I'd give it a shot.

It's a pretty tricky program to use, but I threw something together last night real quick using some tutorials I found on Youtube, and wouldn't you believe it, I made the most perfect coaster I have ever created in years of using NoLimits. Perfect banking, perfectly smooth yet twisty transitions, perfectly shaped airtime hills with exactly the amount of Gs (or lack thereof) I want. It's amazing the kind of possibilities this tool creates.

But I'm no expert on it yet. Anyone have any tips or tricks that could help me? I'm having a hard time fulling understanding everything. When should I be using a multi-zone force? What is the difference between Euler and Quaternion? What are all these transition shapes (Sextic, Timewarping, Quantic, etc. etc.)? Should I be creating entire rides in this, or just create elements and plug and play them into NoLimits? There's so many more questions I could ask too.

Any advice is mucho appreciated.

BBH

Giga Poster
I know the Quaternion orientation is for inverting elements, so you wouldn't use it for airtime hills.

I just got it today and it's a fantastic program, but the way I use it is by referring to the official tutorials with a plug-and-play aspect.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Newton is so good <3

I only use Quarternion for loops (minus zero-g rolls) and some helixes. Also, try to use Multi-zone for all segments that aren't brakes, stations, launches and lifts!

It's just a case of playing with it and learning. It's taken me about a year to know how to use it fully, but it's just a case of trial and error! One thing I did find useful was studying how elements are made and imitating that.

If you ever want to, just PM me and I can whip up an element, and send the .newt file to you for reference :)

jolash

Mega Poster
Ethan said:
Newton is so good <3

I only use Quarternion for loops (minus zero-g rolls) and some helixes. Also, try to use Multi-zone for all segments that aren't brakes, stations, launches and lifts!

It's just a case of playing with it and learning. It's taken me about a year to know how to use it fully, but it's just a case of trial and error! One thing I did find useful was studying how elements are made and imitating that.

If you ever want to, just PM me and I can whip up an element, and send the .newt file to you for reference :)

I'm looking for help with a turnaround, something you might find on a B&M hyper, and I was modeling mine off of Intimidator. I just can't get it to work right.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I always find the turnarounds that overlap like that quite hard to get right... I usually do my B&M Hyper turnarounds like this...

1LXdZLu.png

But I know that's not what you want...

BBH

Giga Poster
jolash said:
BBH said:
153 turns are damn hard. :lol: Can I get some help with one of those? :)

I feel like I might be asking a dumb question but... 153 turns?
That wonky half-inversion on Outlaw. I've tried using a zero-G roll formula tweaked, but it doesn't quite work.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Ok well for me there are two ways I do it.
A more fluid element but harder to control -

ihY2Wnw.jpg

Or the more simple method but there's a slight pause in banking movement at the top -

Fin8m5a.jpg

If you feel like it might be useful to download them, just ask here :)

BBH

Giga Poster
It looks awesome, Outlaw's has a bit of a stop in bank change at the peak of the element, so I think I'll go with that. Thanks!

BBH

Giga Poster
I'd be fine making it if I could get the initial values and the segment parameters. :)

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Not that I use it myself, but you should try using FVD++. Newton is pretty dead these days as it no longer updates, and the guys behind FVD++ already are making it work with NL2. And it's a much more powerful tool overall.

http://forum.nolimits-exchange.com/comm ... ionID=2646

The tracks made with this are usually more superior than Newton made ones. It allows much greater control and you don't end up with that 'newton feeling' you often get if you aren't advanced. If you are learning a new tool, you may as well go with the more powerful and future potential tool :)

jolash

Mega Poster
I actually think I'm giving up on Newton. It's far too hard to control, it doesn't allow me to do what I want easily, and my designs are often becoming far from what I had envisioned. It just feels like Newton's the one that's in charge, not me, and I don't like that.

Maybe I'll try this other one out.

BBH

Giga Poster
Can I get a basic tutorial (parameters, etc.) for how to do a dive loop on an Invert? I've been told time and again to simply do the reverse of an Immelmann but I can't get it.