What's new

Mundo Petapa | Relámpago | Zamperla Thunderbolt

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
So as you may have seen from the IAAPA thread Zamperla announced a new Thunderbolt Coaster
It's going to Mundo Petapa and will be named Relámpago
Here's the front car:
aafoqke.jpg
and the layout:
IMG_20181115_185415.jpg
Seems to have quite the wonky and short layout. But is good for a park which has only family coasters, it's a nice compact thrill coaster.
What do you think?

vaugc002

Mega Poster
It's nice to see another variant of this model, but we Gerst's Eurofighter did all this about 15 years ago so it's kinda boring nowadays.
I wish they could have done something a bit more interesting with the layout to make it stand out.

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
It's nice to see another variant of this model, but we Gerst's Eurofighter did all this about 15 years ago so it's kinda boring nowadays.
I wish they could have done something a bit more interesting with the layout to make it stand out.
I mean there's the reverse Finnish loop right after the drop.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
@Cranedude Not even close. The Finnish loop is simply just a vertical loop but the crest has been elongated to provide a lot of hangtime. It first appeared on Junker as the loop needed to fit round a bridge so it had to be elongated, then Monster. And Junker is located in Finland.

All the coaster has is a standard vertical loop, an Immelmann and a zero-g roll.

Lofty

CF Legend
That's 100% not a Finnish Loop. ****, if this has a Finnish Loop, all of the Gerstlauer Eurofighter Rage clones have one, too.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
This ride may be short and it may be the much maligned Thunderbolt model from Zamperla but some context might be needed here.

It's going to Guatemala after all. A country whos best coaster closed over 60 years ago and current top coaster (and only large scale ride really) is Colossos with 2 inversions missing. The next biggest ride being a Zamperla Moto Coaster.

This will be the 9th known operating coaster in the country and 3 of the current ones are Wacky Worms or powered Dragons.
It may not be a great ride on the world stage but I can't see this being anything but a hit in Guatemala City.

Edward M

Strata Poster
I think I’m alone in this, but I don’t mind the Zamperla Thunderbolts. The Coney Island one has the worst restraints, but the one in Alabama had pretty comfy restraints that made the airtime and elements much more enjoyable. Then again I only rode it when it was brand new, so maybe it’s turned crappy. I’d be interested in anyone’s opinions on the Alabama one, since the Coney Island one is pretty universally maligned.

This one’s layout looks considerably worse than the previous models but I’m sure it’ll be great for Guatemala as has already been said.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
I didn't mind the Coney Island Thunderbolt when I rode this summer. Rough in places with some terrible track shaping on turnaround but no issues with the restraints. Haven't ridden the Alabama one but can't see it being much different.

This design does look fun and will definitely be the one of the best coasters in the area, if not the best. Wouldn't be surprised to see more pop up in smaller parks around the world.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
OK, so Zamperla has confirmed it IS the official layout, and here is the RCDB:-

https://rcdb.com/16774.htm

Stats:-

Length: 1,230.3 ft (375m)
Height: 68.9 ft
Speed: 43.5 mph
Inversions: 3
G-Force: 3.9
Elements: Vertical Chain Lift Hill, Loop, Immelmann, Corkscrew

Model: Thunderbolt Layout 03
Capacity: 600 riders per hour
Etymology: Relámpago is Spanish for "Lightning".

This should be a fun little ride. In terms of track length, it is between the Eurofighter 320+ and the Eurofighter 380, but isn't quite as tall or fast as either.

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The exit to the Immelmann is kinda gross, it's it? So drawn out.

Moved to Construction.

Matt N

CF Legend
Looks good fun, if you ask me, and a good investment for the park and the country; I'll admit I'd never heard of the park before this thing was announced!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
It may be drawn out but I think Zamperla are trying to make smoother transitions to improve the ride experience. It certainly has smooth potential. This and Thunderchariot both look to be smoother and have better profiling than the standard layout.

Ethan

Strata Poster
It may be drawn out but I think Zamperla are trying to make smoother transitions to improve the ride experience. It certainly has smooth potential.

Other manufacturers can do fast transitions and keep it smooth though. I'm going to say it's drawn out because it keeps the layout compact and leaves room for the corkscrew going in the other direction. Just what I think anyway.