What's new

Mexico Announces Amikoo - Huge new Mayan Theme Park

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Mexico's Riviera Maya already draws millions of tourists every year with its pristine beaches, adventure parks, and magnificent Mayan ruins, but now, the country has unveiled a huge plan to lure even more visitors to the stunning region on its southeastern coast. On Monday, officials announced plans to to break ground on a sprawling new theme park packed with wild roller coasters, water rides, an enormous hotel complex, and many more attractions -- all designed to celebrate the country's Mayan culture and heritage.

Basically, Mexico is building its very own Disney World, and you're going to want to go.

Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto announced official plans for the $840 million park, Amikoo, which is named after the Mayan pronunciation of "amigo," or friend. The major destination will sit on nearly 300 acres just outside Playa del Carmen, and should be nearly finished by 2020.

According to Riviera Maya News, the park will boast at least 24 state-of-the-art rides and be split into four distinct zones: Park Maya Extreme (a lush jungle-themed area), Maya Adventure (a celebration of the "Maya City"), Maya Discovery (Mayan anthropology and archaeology museums), and Amikoo Land (a family-focused area with shopping and restaurants). While the development will occupy 300 acres total, more than 200 acres will be set aside as a preserve.

There aren't many details on the specific rides quite yet, but it appears they'll include such thrills as a giant wave pool, panoramic flight and submarine simulators, and something called "Pirates of Bacalar." To get a true sense of what to expect, though, it's worth checking out the mini presentation video above, which is chock full of renderings.

Once complete, the hotel complex will boast 1,200 guest rooms, and developers definitely expect to fill them. During his presentation, Mexico's president projected the park will attract some 4.5 million visitors every year. That's not quite the nearly 20 million visitors Disney pulls annually, but it's certainly the most -- by far -- of any theme park destination in Latin America.

You'll have to wait a few more years to get the full experience, but the first phase -- a concert arena, convention center, and shopping mall -- is on track to be completed by 2018. Until then, you shouldn't have a tough time finding other cool (and cheap!) places in Mexico to visit.
https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/amikoo-mayan-theme-park-rides
https://blooloop.com/link/amikoo-theme-park-mexico/

Looking closely at that fairly cool announcement trailer theres a number of rides shown in fairly good detail including
Mack Water Coaster
Mack suspended family coaster
Vekoma Shockwave launched coaster
Dynamic Attractions Robo Coaster Dark Ride

It will be interesting to see if this actually happens in the end but it sounds promising

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
This is great news! - When I visited the area almost 3 years ago I remember saying to my family that it couldn't be long before a 'proper' theme park with rides would start to pop up!
Back then I visited the adventure park 'Xplor' and the eco-park 'Xcaret', both were amazingly executed and really something completely different.
Of course, as with any new park being announced though, I won't truly believe it before I see it.

peep

CF Legend
Ok there's a bunch of really cool things going on there. If it looks anything like the concept art it'll be fab.

Lofty

CF Legend
This is excellent news - along with the Cirque du Soleil park opening, I can't wait to get over to that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Cancun was great when I went with the fam in 2013 and I remember saying the area needed a proper park. :p

Looks great though! I was a huge fan of all the Mayan stuff there so to see that translate into a park is wonderful! Cancun has a few aquatic/ecotourism parks that we rode past on the way to Tulum and watched ads for on the ferry but aside from a potty break in Xel-Ha's parking lot, didn't do. But as above seems to confirm, they looked nothing like the "parks" you normally expect when visiting one. I would have killed to have something like this when we went, and considering how the other attractions nearby are nothing like it, I feel like this could do pretty well!

Let's just hope it's safer than that sketchy zip line/skytower park on the island where we stayed. :p

EDIT: Just saw the above post about Cirque du Soleil park, didn't know that was a thing and the renderings look beautiful! Really glad to see this area expanding like this!

Tulum

Mega Poster
Interpark reports, that Huss is delivering their first Explorer, a media based scenic tower kind of attraction, to Amikoo. The theming will be around the Caribbean underwater world.

"
HUSS® ANNOUNCES FIRST PROJECT OF EXPLORER ATTRACTION FOR NEW AMIKOO RESORT IN MEXICO
May 2018
Huss Park Attractions GmbH has announced that the first project of its Explorer film based attraction will open at Cancun’s Riviera Maya in Mexico in 2019 at the new Amikoo Resort Destination Theme Park, currently being developed and scheduled to open next year.

The Amikoo attraction will take visitors on a spectacular deep sea exploration around the seas of Mexico. The passengers are part of an expedition into the deep oceans of Mexico to discover the beautiful sea life.

Utilizing cutting-edge technology the Explorer provides the sensation of being immersed under the ocean. Unrestricted views towards a 360° screen supporting large-format images in combination with suitable sound effects, scents which pervade the ambience and the descending/ascending movement of the rider carrier will all combine to create an unprecedented ride experience.

A themed boarding area will initially engage visitors in the adventure. Guests will enter the 70-seat gondola, themed as a submarine, from a docking bay before it sinks into the deep abyss.

The gondola will move down a central, steel tower shaft into a totally enclosed, 360° projection scene, in this case as if submerging under the water, taking riders into an exciting and fascinating underwater world of coral reefs and marine life.

The Amikoo Explorer offers a perfect mix of entertainment and education, featuring messages to raise awareness about the care of the planet and an emphasis on the oceans and bio-diversity.

The ride is accessible for guests with disabilities and wheelchair users. It is suitable for all ages and will provide the venue with a highly flexible attraction that, if required, can be refreshed very easily with a change of media content for a whole new experience.

2018-05-30_HPA_Explorer-copy.jpg

Commenting on the announcement, HUSS® CEO Mirko J. Schulze said: “We are thrilled to be able to announce our first Explorer project and are especially happy that it will be installed in such a significant new development. The attraction will provide guests of the Amikoo resort with a truly immersive and breathtaking experience which will take them into another world and we are very much looking forward to its opening. I’m confident it will be a highly successful element of this new destination.”

With a wide, almost unlimited choice of experiences available, Explorer immerses riders in the worlds of science, fantasy, sports, technology or adventure. It is a unique attraction based on proven and reliable technologies, the gondola being attached to a steel tower shaft based on the proven HUSS® Sky Tower design, moving up or down the shaft to the film projection level." (source: hussrides.com)

Lofty

CF Legend
That's really cool. I just sincerely hope that the floor also has projection as the biggest downfall for these, immersive tunnels and flying theatres is the end of screen on the floor.

Yes this is great! I've never been to that area but I do have plans to go in the near future; however, I might wait and go somewhere else now until this thing comes to fruition. Looks very promising!

Tulum

Mega Poster
While the opening was meant to be 2020, it has gone awfully quiet around the project. Recent updates on the construction cannot be found, though the project hasn't been cancelled officially. Satellite images do not show any major construction work in the area of "Maroma", where the project was meant to be.

Yucatán is meanwhile still discussing the construction of the "Tren Maya", the new railway system in the region and the first modern railway system in the area. Recently the government has started seizing land to build the project. Environmentalist had before spoken about their doubts and fears about the train that would run through the Yucatecan wilderness. The train would also connect the area of Amikoo with Cancún.

Be it as it is. The project seems to suffer under whatever problems, be it financial, covid-related or environmental ones.