What's new

May 5 - Ohio State Day at Cedar Point: Hacksaw Ridge

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
This was by far the worst day I have ever spent at an amusement park, but what could I expect? 100% chance of precipitation, red flag advisory with white caps on Lake Erie. Yet the park event still remained open for the day-before-official-opening event, and this would give us our first glimpse at New Mean Streak. Why not still go?

... And the weather did not disappoint. Massive downpour throughout, with those who feebly still decided to come to the park instantly doused due to not bringing the correct rain gear. I've been on a recent bad luck string however: having been in DC for the March for Science in torrential downpour two weeks ago and in Springfield, IL to hike the Lincoln Trail last weekend in a torrential downpour. So facing another day of rain, I was prepared with an entire rain suit, hat, multiple-layers of dry wick clothing, and hiking boots.

IMG_4378.jpg

So get out of the way what exactly was open; not much. Blue Streak was operational for most of the park's open hours (11 AM to 4 PM), running one train operation. Cedar Downs, the Matterhorn, and select kiddie rides at the front of the park were also open. The Cedar Point Train was also shepherding guests around the park with one train operation - but that was it.

This being the case, we grabbed a quick ride on Blue Streak to say that we have ridden something, rode Cedar Downs, and then proceeded to simply walk the length of the park to check out new additions for 2017.

First up was the newly renamed Professor Delbert's Frontier Fling (formerly Ripcord), the park's relocated sky coaster which frees up valuable space for the Cedar Point Shores waterpark expansion while filling the glaring hole left by Shoot the Rapids exit. Professor Delbert, for those not familiar, was a featured animatronic on the old Paddlewheel Excursions ride, which would try to "jump" the boat on his flying machine. The professor animatronic has been used as a stage prop during halloween events, but now gets his own ride, featured prominently out front.

Cedar Point is still working on the area to open the ride, but it's hard to massage a sky coaster into this relatively large plot with many structures built for the former Intamin water ride. No judgement until we are finished with construction; but it's an awkward area.

Oh, they're also giving pony rides on Frontier Trail now too, next to the Blacksmith Shop.

Headed back to Frontier Town, we get to see the real anticipation, New Mean Streak. Getting a glimpse from within the park, we were able to see new additions to clue us into layout. Now, after the first barrel roll and under-lift hill turn, we will have a wave turn headed into a second barrel roll, dropping down into a double up into MCBR. Getting to see the bottom-of-first-drop airtime hill was also sobering - the first drop will need to be very steep in order to hit 200+ ft. and line up with the track that has been built. So much so that I did a double take when looking at it, wondering if the first hill will indeed head into the track that has been built already, but rather be an entirely different portion of track, with what has been built being a second half launch type deal. I'm not speculating that, I can see the first drop working - it's just going to be very steep!

We wrapped out the back portion of the park to check out the new back entrance and Cedar Point Shores additions. The underground tunnel has been removed to make for a more open entrance, which is a nice touch. Didn't get to see the revised Cedar Point Shores entrance, but the entire waterpark is still undergoing massive renovation which should be a welcome improvement.

Finally, we visited Top Thrill Cubster, the result of a losing bet between Six Flags Great America and Cedar Point over which park's team would win the World Series. And Cedar Point has gone all out - retitling all mentions of Dragster along the midway and ride. They are even selling limited edition Top Thrill Cubster t-shirts! Sad to see as a devoted Cleveland Indians fan, but fun to see them be good sports.

Overall, we were in and out within 2 hours. Nice to check out the park, didn't really ride much, but it was fun to be at the Point!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'd forgotten about the Top Thrill Cubster. Good on Cedar Point for going with it!

Otherwise, yes, sounds bleak. :p