What's new

Maurer Sohne X-Car service notice

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Find this quite a interesting read.

http://www.ltci.co.uk/LTC_Technical_Bul ... Action.pdf

In short, it says that Maurer Sohne have found a potential fault with the coupling bar. All X-Car/Sky Loop coasters which have double car trains need to have something called ultrasonic testing and magnetic particle inspection to make sure that there is no risk of the coupling snapping.

Until the first test is done, the rides cannot operate. If any defects are found, the ride must be shut down until a short term fix has been carried out. If nothing is found on the first test, it needs to be repeated every 3 weeks or 200 operational hours, whichever one comes first. A permanent fix should be available in 2-3 months.

There's a bit more to it in the full article, luckily only a few coasters will be affected by it:

Hollywood RRR
Abismo
G-Force
Any of the Sky Loops.

jokerman

Giga Poster
Ultrasound testing is standard practice in industry. From the sounds of it, it will more likely affect the older models more than newer ones, so H:RRR should be OK.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Nope, it's all of them. That's probably why H:RRR is shut at the moment.

If you read the article, there's no exceptions due to age.

Xpress

Strata Poster
Joey said:
It's starting to become apparently that Maurer Sohne fail epically at life.

Dude, there's no need to bring your doom and gloom here. There's lots of people that love Maurers designs. If you ask me, they were smart in shutting down all of the rides with multiple cars. A company that does this in the interest in guest safety ranks high in my books.

A great and very wise call from them.

Jer

Strata Poster
You can compare this to toyota and their accelerators, they bounced back from that. 2 questions still remain, will a ride like Formule X still be running because it only has once car per train, and 3 what will this mean for my NL project that has 4 cars per train.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Xpress said:
Joey said:
It's starting to become apparently that Maurer Sohne fail epically at life.

Dude, there's no need to bring your doom and gloom here. There's lots of people that love Maurers designs. If you ask me, they were smart in shutting down all of the rides with multiple cars. A company that does this in the interest in guest safety ranks high in my books.

A great and very wise call from them.
I never said I didn't like, or even love, them.

A great and wise call? More like a necessary one? In the world of health and safety, you don't take risks. Any minor issue should be regarded as unsafe and taken extremely seriously.

Apart from Fury... Slightly... Since the 3 adult rule exists... Making my arguement pointless...
And it's not like the 3 adult rule is alone, either. And it's not like the ride is exempt from incidents. So, no, not apart from Fury. They are all, apparently, rather poorly made.

Intamin take 2?

jokerman

Giga Poster
Tomatron said:
Nope, it's all of them. That's probably why H:RRR is shut at the moment.

If you read the article, there's no exceptions due to age.

What I meant is that the article states the cracks in the bar are due to large amounts of use, so they are more likely to appear on the older coasters. The newer ones will have to be checked, but they're less likely to be broken.

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
Just been on the Drayton website and looked at the news ticker - the currently closed rides are Maelstrom, Pandemonium and Drunken Barrels.

I know what it says there isn't the be all and end all, but it would suggest that G Force is still operating today?

.. Just saw the date on the article as 2nd September, I guess the first test could have already been carried out?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Haha, yeah... It was dreadfully dull, jolty and utterly pointless. And I hope Universal pay for appalling decision to get one with endless technical difficulties. Oh never mind, they already have.