What's new

Man breaks his neck on Grand National

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
That's horrific, I hope he makes a full recovery although it won't be easy due to the severity of the injury.

Temleh

Mega Poster
I was at the park on Saturday (the day after the accident) and all 4 trains were running with no signs that any had been 'cut into' by the fire brigade.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Hope he recovers but it was his own fault, they have signs advising you not to ride if you have back and neck problems.

Darren B

Giga Poster
It was only a matter of time. The ride has become so brutal that it was eventually going to severely injure someone. He obviously shouldn't have been on the ride in the first place and the GN is the worst possible ride he could have chosen.

sparky2u

Mega Poster
I do hope he recovers from this but this is why there are warning / safety signs at the entrance, I have a torn muscle in my stomach / abs area & have put my coaster riding off for 6 months as don't want to risk a deeper injury.

Like to see the "Nash" have new topper track added to make it super smooth.

TilenB

Strata Poster
That's not too surprising... After I rode it, my back hurt for the remainder of the day. I could imagine it hurting somebody who isn't in their top fitness...

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Sounds horrible. Be interesting to know quite where on the track it happened, but it is one of those rides you have to brace for and if you're not quite ready or don't know...

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Balls! It's not that rough! If you're coming off with a dodgy back (or broken neck) then you shouldn't be riding in the first place!

There are lots of rides out there with moments of severe actual pain (Tornado at Bakken anyone?) that could give people actual problems, but no one is calling them to be ripped out. Just because you can't handle a bit of roughness doesn't mean you should call for the Nash to be destroyed and remade as a completely different ride. Which is exactly what would happen if RMC got in there. There are not that many traditional 'wild ride' woodies around now, especially in Europe.

Grow a pair or sit it out.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Thing is Sue, the ride today is not the ride it was 10 years ago and that wasn't the ride it was 30 years ago and THAT wasn't the ride built in the 30's.

So... Why not get topper track and make it a good ride again?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Anyone else suspect that he was unconscious before breaking his neck? If he say, hit his head or just fainted randomly, I think it would be pretty easy to be flung and snap your neck. I cannot imagine that a ride even as jarring as Nash would cause such a thing in a conscious, upright individual?

nealbie

CF Legend
Guys, he had spondylitis, he shouldn't have been on the ride in the first place.

It's a terrible thing to happen, but the man was a ticking time bomb needlessly risking his health like that. If Blackpool have the standard signs that warn people with back problems not to ride, then he only has himself to blame.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Went on it yesterday, it is incredibly rough now and I actually had a bad back for the remainder of the day. Having said that, this guy had an underlying back problem, why oh why would you go on an 80 year old rollercoaster (or ANY rollercoaster for that matter) knowing you had this?

marc

CF Legend
It's hard to explain but Furie is probably in the same position as me.

I was told 15 years ago to ride them at my own risk, so I do. The doctors advise was not to ride them.

Riding coasters led to an op I needed on my shoulder last year. I knew the risks I took them. I've been told the same thing again, only now I will not be putting my arms up.

It's really hard to stop doing something you enjoy.

Ethan

Strata Poster
^ Yeah I think the article said it was "known", which I guess means he was aware? Not sure tbh.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
This is why I haven't gotten on a coaster in 2+ years. It's stupid if you have a back issue to get on a ride, especially a wooden one that is, apparently, notoriously rough. Now, did he know that it is rough? Probably but he probably didn't think this would happen.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Mysterious Sue said:
Balls! It's not that rough! If you're coming off with a dodgy back (or broken neck) then you shouldn't be riding in the first place!

There are lots of rides out there with moments of severe actual pain (Tornado at Bakken anyone?) that could give people actual problems, but no one is calling them to be ripped out. Just because you can't handle a bit of roughness doesn't mean you should call for the Nash to be destroyed and remade as a completely different ride. Which is exactly what would happen if RMC got in there. There are not that many traditional 'wild ride' woodies around now, especially in Europe.

Grow a pair or sit it out.

Wehay, nice to see there is some common sense on the matter, the ride is clearly not to blame. The warning signs at the entrance are there for everyone to read, BPB can't be held responsible for people deciding to ride with injuries that they have already sustained elsewhere.

I keep reading that the Nash has changed and is getting worse but considering how often I go on the thing, I just don't see where these claims are coming from, it rides no differently now than it did last year or five years ago, the biggest problem with it is the slow operations of it on a four train service.