What's new

Make Your 2019 Six Flags Predictions!

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
A bunch of eye-rollingly mediocre rides with one or two more stand out additions of which one might be actually worthwhile?
I don't know, maybe I'm just setting my hopes so low that I could be pleasantly surprised. I see a few giant frisbees still making their rounds. (SFOG)

Matt N

CF Legend
I've got a couple of ideas for some of the SF parks, but absolutely no idea for the others. So I'll go with the ones I have an idea for:
  • Six Flags Magic Mountain: Some sort of launch coaster, possibly from S&S.
  • Six Flags Great Adventure: Zamperla Giant Discovery, similar to SFMM's Crazanity and SFNE's Harley Quinn Spinsanity.
  • Six Flags Fiesta Texas: Some sort of sci-fi themed ride/expansion; maybe an ABC Rides Tourbillon like SFGAdv's Cyborg Cyber Spin?
  • Six Flags Great America: Some sort of waterpark slide (a water coaster like SFFT's, maybe?), although according to Screamscape, it could be down for a clone of whatever SFMM's getting.
  • Darien Lake: Renamed to Six Flags Darien Lake with some new rides (possibly even a coaster, although I'm not sure if they'd want to so soon after Tantrum.) added.
  • Frontier City: Possible rebrand to Six Flags Frontier City or Six Flags Oklahoma or something similar. Similar new additions to Darien Lake.
And if we're including SF's independent waterparks too:
  • Waterworld Concord: Mat racer slide.
So those are my personal predictions for the Six Flags parks that I actually have some idea of what might be coming to them!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I guess at least one coaster named Goliath, and the rest of the additions being vaguely themed to DC superheroes/-villains. There will be more RMC Raptors named Wonder Woman, identical to SFFT's down to the signs and statues.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
SFMM and SFGAm will get expanded raptors, closer to 200 feet, 2 across seating.

Everyone else gets skywarps, spin ****, and the trippy looking top spins

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
2gd8nv.jpg

kenny cook

Mega Poster
SFOG: Waterpark expansion (with multiple new slides)
SFGAM: Watercoaster
SFOT: Family flats
TGE: Traditional Dark Ride by Sally Corp in Nightmare's building/Skywarp
SFMM: Dueling RMC T-Rex (or mobius Maurer Spike coasters)
SFM: Family flats
SFHHMexico: Kiddie splash pad
(SF)LR: Gimmicky flat replacing Condor + repaint of Super Menege with accompanying new mini-themed land
SFNE: New waterslide and revamped kids area
SFGAD: Thrilling waterslide and Kids land expansion
SFFT: Pirates of the Deep Sea- rethemed Scooby Doo dark ride
SFDK: Kids area expansion and refurbishment
HHConcord: Proslide mat racer
SFSTL: RMC Raptor/S&S 4d free spin
SFA: RMC Raptor/S&S 4d free spin replacing Apocalypse
-
(SF)DL: Skywarp
HHPheonix: Thrilling floor-drop slides
FCity: Nothing, only the waterpark (WWBay) will be receiving something
HHSplashtown: Typhoon Twister style slide
WWBay: Family Splash Pad

kenny cook

Mega Poster
I think what's going be interesting is to see what they're going to do with stuff like Wet N' Wild Pheonix. Since that park has practically zero competition, it's going to be interesting to see if Six Flags decides to simply never invest besides basic upkeep and milk the cash cow, or heavily invest and attempt to make it a must stop for anyone driving from anywhere near it in the southwest (as a TON of Californians go out to Arizona over the summer within an hour or so of Wet N' Wild, and vice versa)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
By the way, does anybody know what kind of shape Six Flags is in, financially? Since 2006 or so, the number of big, custom coasters they've built from the ground up can be counted on the fingers of one hand: SFGam Goliath (2014), SFMM Full Throttle (2013) and SFGam X-Flight (2012) are the only ones I can think of that meet the criteria and cross the 30 m height barrier. Contrast the additions in 2006 alone that meet the criteria: SFGadv El Toro, SFMM Tatsu, SFOG Goliath and La Ronde Goliath. All of those are bigger than anything the chain has built since, at least if you measure by height.

Clearly, the level of spending seen until 2006 pushed the company into major doodoo, but those kinds of coasters make up the back bone of their parks' lineups after all, and I believe the company would want to build attractions like that again if the economy permits it. But how is that economy doing, after years of austerity? Anybody have any sources?

Matt N

CF Legend
They've also built stuff like American Thunder and Apocalypse at SFMM which must have cost a fair bit, and I can't imagine that the Iron Horses are cheap!

Speaking of Iron Horses, would I be right in presuming that we probably won't get any this year unless Six Flags really surprises us?
EDIT: According to a Screamscape piece about SFMM making their announcement one day earlier, Darien Lake and Frontier City may also announce new attractions on 30th August.

My personal predictions are that Darien Lake will become Six Flags Darien Lake and will receive some new additions (possibly a coaster, but I don't know if they'd want one so soon after Tantrum.) I say this because Screamscape talked about something being spied regarding Six Flags Darien Lake, but I can't remember where. I also predict that Frontier City will receive some kind of flat ride. Maybe a Zamperla pendulum? I'd also guess that Frontier City won't be "flagged", and will be sort of like Great Escape and La Ronde where "A Six Flags theme park" is added on to the end of their logo.

Last edited:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
By the way, does anybody know what kind of shape Six Flags is in, financially? Since 2006 or so, the number of big, custom coasters they've built from the ground up can be counted on the fingers of one hand: SFGam Goliath (2014), SFMM Full Throttle (2013) and SFGam X-Flight (2012) are the only ones I can think of that meet the criteria and cross the 30 m height barrier. Contrast the additions in 2006 alone that meet the criteria: SFGadv El Toro, SFMM Tatsu, SFOG Goliath and La Ronde Goliath. All of those are bigger than anything the chain has built since, at least if you measure by height.

Clearly, the level of spending seen until 2006 pushed the company into major doodoo, but those kinds of coasters make up the back bone of their parks' lineups after all, and I believe the company would want to build attractions like that again if the economy permits it. But how is that economy doing, after years of austerity? Anybody have any sources?
Six Flags has financially tracked with Cedar Fair and other American parks, which has yielded good earnings and attendance over the last few years thanks to cheap gasoline and a bull market. I haven't followed Six Flags all too closely to see if they have also boosted in-park spending to the same degree as Cedar Fair has focused - a line item that merits large profit thanks to far lower overhead of producing merchandise, food, etc. than the flat rate of a park ticket. In turn, it wouldn't surprise me if Six Flags has recognized a "roller coaster first" strategy is not what shareholders are interested in - maintaining park attendance, rather than expensive attractions to increase, has proven a winning strategy in the industry over the last decade, especially if you can encourage guests to stay for multiple days, which dramatically increases revenue flow.

Six Flags remains ballsy for maintaining a mantra of "something new for every park each year", which much of this promise being new rides.