What's new

Liseberg | Valkyria | B&M Dive Coaster

Dave

CF Legend
Pink Panther said:
New for 2017/18

valkyria-liseberg-artwork.jpg

If this is pulled off and feels like Oblivion it'll be ace.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Dar said:
He did say in the announcement that they have lots more exciting things lined up for the years after 2017/18, so maybe the invert could be coming in the further future?
Every media representative for every park is going to say something like that whether they've got things lined up or not.

I'm not saying they haven't - I'm sure most big parks will likely have a good few years planned out in advance - just not to take it as an admission of anything.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I haven't been able to watch the video yet, but have they announced when they'll be closing Kanonen? I know no-one seems to like it, but I'd like to get the cred. </3

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
So much hate for the dive machine! They don't have that many 'standard' big coasters (with Kanonen going that just leaves Balder). Helix is epic but they need to bridge that gap and, I don't know, I think a dive coaster is a little bit more reserved somehow than an invert and fits the park nicely. I'm not saying that I wouldn't prefer an invert, but I think a dive coaster works really well. Nice one Liseberg, I'm looking forward to returning.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Yes! I am happy with this choice :) Sure, they are a very familiar coaster type, but Dive Machines are great for showing off an impressive view, with that long lingering turn around at the top. Can't wait to see all the city lights from the top of this then plummet down!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've noticed a trend about this announcement, both on here and CF's Facebook and Twitter. Is there something about dive machines that women experience that men don't? (No jokes about holes and diving please.) Usually I don't pay any attention to who likes what etc, but this is striking a chord overwhelmingly with ladies. I'm genuinely intrigued why.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
No idea. Don't really think I'd call myself ladylike enough to comment haha.

So although inverts could be argued to be more forceful and more about the experience than overall look, both can easily be adapted to a theme and look aesthetically pleasing.

Also, I really wasn't very excited about Valravn at all so it's not an overall love of dive machines. I just think that the ride suites the park in this instance. Just like Baron works well for Efteling. Dive machines are somehow a bit more 'classic'. Hmm. I don't really feel that's enough of an argument, maybe Serena can do better.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Maybe it's the colour?

nadroJ

CF Legend
Fanny tingling goodness.

I also am excited by the idea of a Dive Machine at Liseberg. That entrance!

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Another thing, will they give Balder a proper theme? They do talk about re-doing the entire area, but haven't really mentioned anything about Balder. Maybe it will finally get some more atmosphere so that it won't feel as soulless anymore.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Haha, Lord Morton, I hoped nobody had spotted that!

I like the newer dive machines because they are pleasantly floaty and not as intimidating as Oblivion. Woman-wise, a Dive Machine is way more welcome in my books than a B+M flyer or a wing rider because of the restraints. The flyer/wing vest restraints are so painful on the boobs! A DM will be a much comfier ride :)

Dar

Hyper Poster
Hixee said:
I haven't been able to watch the video yet, but have they announced when they'll be closing Kanonen? I know no-one seems to like it, but I'd like to get the cred. </3

Sazzle from TST messaged the park and they said it's going to be open for the rest of this season but will be removed at the end of summer next year

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Dar said:
Hixee said:

Sazzle from TST messaged the park and they said it's going to be open for the rest of this season but will be removed at the end of summer next year
Fab. I'll make sure I go in the spring then! :lol:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Uh, quick warning beforehand: Sorry for going slightly off-topic in this post.

I know my point of view is biased, but I can't help but see this announcement and compare it to TusenFryd. Liseberg is arguably the largest theme park in Sweden (I'm not entirely sure, but I think Gröna Lund compares when it comes to visitor numbers) and its proximity to Oslo by train makes it a bit of a competitor to TusenFryd even in the Norwegian market. And all I can say in light of this is that Liseberg keeps one-upping TusenFryd in nearly every possible aspect:

- They talk about periodically "walking through" the park and sprucing up area by area. Every year, a new section of the park gets some attention, or even a total makeover. Some corners of TusenFryd haven't been touched in a decade or more.
- "It's not enough to buy rides and plonk them on the asphalt any more". TusenFryd's latest shenanigans tend to involve a flat piece of land and an amusement ride, and precious little else - save from the obligatory fences to keep guests from randomly wandering into dangerous areas.
- The old-ish Kanonen is removed to make room for a better, more modern ride. Old-ish as in, Liseberg has built three coasters since it was built in 2005, and now need room to build their fourth. TusenFryd still retains Loopen (1988) as one of its star attractions, despite nobody ever liking it. SpeedMonster, being one year younger than Kanonen (and otherwise comparable to it in many aspects, even down to the colours) is still TusenFryd's foremost attraction. Since SpeedMonster, TusenFryd built one measly second-hand Vekoma Junior coaster.
- TusenFryd built a really good and impressively large flat in SpinSpider. Then they apparently forgot about it, since it's crewed by only one staff member on all but the busiest days (resulting in one dispatch roughly every 10 minutes). Now Liseberg builds an equally large, functionally identical ride with better restraints, citing SpinRock's low capacity as a reason for rebuilding it. If they follow up on it, they will take away practically every selling point TusenFryd had over Liseberg in the flat rides department.
- They cite the importance of thinking big several years in a row. Since practically half of my posts on here are rants about how rarely TusenFryd ever builds anything worthwhile, I don't think I have to say much on this point - but oh, I still will. TusenFryd has openly stated that their strategy involves one big ride every three years. Among these "big rides" they count 2013's Thor's Hammer and this year's rapids ride. In the intermediate years, they usually build squat all.

In short, for those who pay attention, Liseberg just established themselves as superior to TusenFryd in every way. A 17-minute video about doing things right, creating good visitor experiences, and the importance of renewal. If only they had snuck in a paragraph or two about the importance of good and affordable park food (which Liseberg famously does a lot better than TusenFryd anyway), they'd have filled the entire bingo board.

I know I'm supposed to fawn over my home park and all, and as a Norwegian I'm contractually obliged from birth to bash Sweden, but I'm seriously considering to change my allegiance unless TusenFryd has something big in store for 2017 or '18. But since this year's river rapids apparently counts as a three-year investment, I haven't got my hopes up very high.

Go Liseberg!

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
I think 'Loke' looks like a great new ride, but while I actually really like Krake, I have to see more of the layout and how it fits in with the park before I say more about 'Valkyria'.
That's my personal opinion though. Objectively this is a superior move by an amazing park!

peep

CF Legend
Serena said:
Haha, Lord Morton, I hoped nobody had spotted that!

I like the newer dive machines because they are pleasantly floaty and not as intimidating as Oblivion. Woman-wise, a Dive Machine is way more welcome in my books than a B+M flyer or a wing rider because of the restraints. The flyer/wing vest restraints are so painful on the boobs! A DM will be a much comfier ride :)
I haven't watched the video so not sure if it's been confirmed anywhere but Valravn has the horrible vest restraints, Liseberg could have them on their dive machine too.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

nadroJ

CF Legend
Pokemaniac said:
Uh, quick warning beforehand: Sorry for going slightly off-topic in this post.

I know my point of view is biased, but I can't help but see this announcement and compare it to TusenFryd. Liseberg is arguably the largest theme park in Sweden (I'm not entirely sure, but I think Gröna Lund compares when it comes to visitor numbers) and its proximity to Oslo by train makes it a bit of a competitor to TusenFryd even in the Norwegian market. And all I can say in light of this is that Liseberg keeps one-upping TusenFryd in nearly every possible aspect:

- They talk about periodically "walking through" the park and sprucing up area by area. Every year, a new section of the park gets some attention, or even a total makeover. Some corners of TusenFryd haven't been touched in a decade or more.
- "It's not enough to buy rides and plonk them on the asphalt any more". TusenFryd's latest shenanigans tend to involve a flat piece of land and an amusement ride, and precious little else - save from the obligatory fences to keep guests from randomly wandering into dangerous areas.
- The old-ish Kanonen is removed to make room for a better, more modern ride. Old-ish as in, Liseberg has built three coasters since it was built in 2005, and now need room to build their fourth. TusenFryd still retains Loopen (1988) as one of its star attractions, despite nobody ever liking it. SpeedMonster, being one year younger than Kanonen (and otherwise comparable to it in many aspects, even down to the colours) is still TusenFryd's foremost attraction. Since SpeedMonster, TusenFryd built one measly second-hand Vekoma Junior coaster.
- TusenFryd built a really good and impressively large flat in SpinSpider. Then they apparently forgot about it, since it's crewed by only one staff member on all but the busiest days (resulting in one dispatch roughly every 10 minutes). Now Liseberg builds an equally large, functionally identical ride with better restraints, citing SpinRock's low capacity as a reason for rebuilding it. If they follow up on it, they will take away practically every selling point TusenFryd had over Liseberg in the flat rides department.
- They cite the importance of thinking big several years in a row. Since practically half of my posts on here are rants about how rarely TusenFryd ever builds anything worthwhile, I don't think I have to say much on this point - but oh, I still will. TusenFryd has openly stated that their strategy involves one big ride every three years. Among these "big rides" they count 2013's Thor's Hammer and this year's rapids ride. In the intermediate years, they usually build squat all.

In short, for those who pay attention, Liseberg just established themselves as superior to TusenFryd in every way. A 17-minute video about doing things right, creating good visitor experiences, and the importance of renewal. If only they had snuck in a paragraph or two about the importance of good and affordable park food (which Liseberg famously does a lot better than TusenFryd anyway), they'd have filled the entire bingo board.

I know I'm supposed to fawn over my home park and all, and as a Norwegian I'm contractually obliged from birth to bash Sweden, but I'm seriously considering to change my allegiance unless TusenFryd has something big in store for 2017 or '18. But since this year's river rapids apparently counts as a three-year investment, I haven't got my hopes up very high.

Go Liseberg!

This is a great post and a perspective I bet nobody else here has ever really considered. But you're right, TusenFryd probably IS Liseberg's closest competitor and they've just smacked them down in every single way. It's kind of incredible now that you've put it into such clear perspective!