Liseberg 2020 Dark Ride Underlandet

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Interesting. One step closer to completing the "Anything you can do, we can do better" list versus TusenFryd. It's a little too late in the evening for me to do a thorough ride comparison off the top of my head, but I believe a dark ride is pretty much the only remaining thing TusenFryd has that Liseberg doesn't have a better version of.

EthanCoaster

Mega Poster
Interesting. One step closer to completing the "Anything you can do, we can do better" list versus TusenFryd. It's a little too late in the evening for me to do a thorough ride comparison off the top of my head, but I believe a dark ride is pretty much the only remaining thing TusenFryd has that Liseberg doesn't have a better version of.

The Thor dark ride at Tusenfryd was the first thing I thought of when I heard this. Hopefully they go for a more practical effects-focused ride.

peep

CF Legend
Ooo, this is exciting. Love a good dark ride, hopefully Liseberg create something quite unique.

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to bump the thread, but according to Screamscape, this may be themed to the park's green rabbit mascots:
Screamscape said:
2020 - New Dark Ride - Planning - (9/10/18) According to the latest rumor sent in to Screamscape, the new dark ride being planned for Liseberg will take the place of the Kvarnteatern theater attraction in Kaninlandet (Rabbit Land) and be themed around the park's popular green rabbit characters seen in the land and show theater.
Interesting... we'll have to see how this one pans out.
P.S. Here's the Screamscape link: http://www.screamscape.com/html/liseberg.htm

Lofty

CF Legend
Yay. That's fab. I'm actually really glad they're going down the route of creating a dark ride based on their own IP as opposed to another viking themed dark ride.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Liseberg have announced new additions coming to their children's area: Kaninlandet (Rabbit Land) in 2020. The land themed to the park's mascots first opened in 2013.
There will be a new stage for shows, a new themed restaurant (replacing the current Café Taubes) and a secret new attraction.
pxtmticxip3lefoptgd7.jpg

"Visiting the Kaninlandet has always been more than the sum of the attractions and the rabbits, it is an experience where the story of Lisebergskans (Liseberg rabbits) is constantly present. The investments we make in 2020 will extend the adventure and make the visit an overall experience, "says Andreas Andersen, CEO of Liseberg.
When referring to the secret new attraction (the dark ride) he said "it will be a great attraction for the whole family".

The total investment will be 200 million KR (19.5 million euros, £16.9 million).
Source

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
The total investment will be 200 million KR (19.5 million euros, £16.9 million).
I know you've probably had it with the TusenFryd comparisons now, but this is more money than TusenFryd has invested in attractions in total since 2007. And Liseberg puts that much into a singular kiddie area. It's not quite Disney budgets, but probably more than I've seen anybody else invest in a family attraction. Or, well, Symbolica at Efteling was almost twice as expensive, but apart from them and Disney, who have invested that much in a family attraction recently?

peep

CF Legend
I'm quite intrigued to see how this turns out. Do we know if they're having to spite anything? I didn't think there was that much expansion space around the current area.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Some more details about the dark ride called "Underland" have been announced.
Underland.jpg

In November, Liseberg announced that Kaninlandet (the Rabbit Land) – Liseberg’s children’s area – would be expanded in 2020. Today, Liseberg proudly presents Underland – the underground world of the rabbits – a major new family dark ride, as part of this expansion. The new dark ride will take guests underground to experience the rabbits’ secret world, and will be the largest investment for families since Liseberg built the Rabbit Landin 2013.
In total, SEK 200 million will be invested in the children’s area in 2020 and the largest part, SEK 150 million, will be spent on this new dark ride.

The dark ride will be located where the Children’s Theatre previously was located, and will take visitors through a number of fantastical environments. David Schofield, Creative Director at Liseberg: “Since the Rabbit Land was built in 2013, our guests have got to know the characters above ground. What the rabbits have done underground have been a secret – until now.”

Underland will be the 14th attraction in the children’s area and first dark ride that Liseberg has built in more than 40 years. Andreas Andersen, CEO & President at Liseberg: “With the introduction of Valkyria in 2018, we had to remove an old children’s dark ride, Sagoslottet (the Fairy tale castle). We promised our guests that we would replace this with something bigger and better. That's what we are doing now. With the new Dark Ride Underland we will set new standards for this type of experience in Sweden.” Underland will open in Spring 2020.

Underland will open in Spring 2020.

Facts
Length of ride: 190 metres
Number of vehicles: 18
Travel time: 3 minutes and 20 seconds
Manufacturer: Gosetto SRL
Number of riders: 4 passengers per vehicle
Speed: 4 km/h
Capacity: 850 people per hour

Source: ThemeParks-EU

Sounds like it's going to be quite the experience. I was expecting someone more like Sally Corp. though, but then again I'm not very familiar with the company Gosetto SRL.
Same here. But I've just found there Youtube channel and website and there an Italian manufacturer that do travelling and permanent rides. Only seen vids for travellers though from a suspended ghost train and a Dracula's Castle.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
While it won't cause anyone here to pull the trigger on a trip to Liseberg, it's arguably what the park needs most after churning out coasters and flats for the last five years. The expansion of this park is crazy, this will be the seventh year in a row of adding a major new ride (2 of which have been headliner coasters).

New video from Liseberg showing some POV sections of Underlander:

Edit: Just realised there's no new ride for 2019 so my earlier statement was false.

Last edited:

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
While it won't cause anyone here to pull the trigger on a trip to Liseberg
Speak for yourself! I'm sold.

"With the introduction of Valkyria in 2018, we had to remove an old children’s dark ride, Sagoslottet (the Fairy tale castle). We promised our guests that we would replace this with something bigger and better. That's what we are doing now. With the new Dark Ride Underland we will set new standards for this type of experience in Sweden."
So exactly how things should be done.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yeah that's fab. I can't wait to see this finished. Feels like just the right sort of way to approach a new kids ride. Good work Liseberg!