What's new

Lipstick that Pig Results!

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Thank you to all who entered! Submissions have officially closed, and voting has begun! We have 5 tremendous entries this time around and I'm very happy with all the results. Even if you didn't compete, you are still welcome to vote, and encouraged. Voting will last until Tuesday evening and results will be posted immediately following. Scale is on a 1-5.

Please send all votes to me by PM.

Good luck!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/praia ... ntries.zip

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Re: Lipstick that Pig Voting Topic!

I'm just gonna guess that we cant vote for our own ride, correct? Also, can we give decimal number votes for the entries?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

CoasterMac305 said:
I'm just gonna guess that we cant vote for our own ride, correct?
Correct. :p

CoasterMac305 said:
Also, can we give decimal number votes for the entries?
Tom may have a different opinion on this, but I think half points are allowed - any more than that is probably a bit unnecessary. Personally, I try to keep to integers simply as I think that should be enough resolution to rate the tracks, but that's not to say that you're not allowed to use non-integers.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Whole numbers are betters, halves are acceptable, quarters are bearable, anything else just no.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

We have a winner! Great competition again everyone, and this had the largest margin of victory! Overall this contest was not nearly as technically good as the others, but some very interesting design. To the results!

5. GuywithaStick- Predator 10.5 points

The overall consensus was this was the poorest of the competition. Adding the extra overbanks was an issue for many as it strayed too much from the original layout. Clearly inspired by Twisted Colossus, the forces were a bit too extreme.

4. Tomahawk- T'Challa 16.4 points

I got a little overzealous with this one, and I as well suffered from the overdoing of the original layout. Smoothness issues, realism, were all issues.

3. Panther V2 Glennderp 19.5 points

This was one of my favorites, but what it lacked was punchiness. It didn't tear through the course like your typical RMC. There was a bit too much meandering at times.

2. Panther's Revenge Hixee 20.3 points

Barely missing the win, but very good overall. Very realistic, only reason not on top was how great the final entry was.

1. CoasterMac Steel Panther 22 points.

Fantastic. The clear winner from the judges and the competitors. Just very realistic and fantastically done. Just tremendous job.

That's it! Great job everybody. The next competition will be up in the next few days. I'm currently working on the template and it won't be nearly as difficult as this one. If anyone has ideas of what they would like to see in the future, please post in here. I'll leave this topic open for a few days for ideas.

Great job everyone!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Steel Panther and Panther V2 were my favourites, so glad to see those came in the top.

This might be easy to say, but I urge you to not be put off by a bad result in these competitions. NoLimits (not just NL2) isn't easy to grasp. The ideas being attempted in these competitions are brilliant, but some of them just need a little work and practice with creating tracks to get everything perfect. When I was going up the lift hill of Predator I really thought I was about to ride the best track. Seeing those overbanks suddenly made me think, "why did I stick to the original layout and not do something crazy like that?" The track building needed some work, but the idea was excellent. I think I'd say that about all the coasters in these competitions so far actually, you're all really creative, keep going with the building and we're going to see some amazing coasters. Ideally we need to give Tom a headache of a tie for the top spot at some point! ;)

I guess what I would like to reiterate is that even if you're not super pleased with your result, practice will help. If these competitions stay popular, it'll drive you to learn better skills that will benefit you in the long run.

Tom can you post the results like you have done in the past? I think the clarity in the voting process is good to present.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I knew it! Last again! Yay!

I guess I'm now the worst NL2 player here. :p

Also, my entry wasn't really inspired off of TC. It was more Wicked Cyclone and Medusa imo.

Jer

Strata Poster
I'm not going to put this lightly dude. I thought your track should have been disqualified for those two extra over banks, I liked the ride, but when I saw those it dropped your score immensely. You need to read he rules and make sure you follow it to the T, because anywhere else that would have been inexcusable. Case and point, a few years ago I entered a competition on coaster crazy and was DQd because half a footer was outside the build boundaries.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
Steel Panther was fantastic, truly felt like a RMC! Deserved the win! Congrats to all who entered! I almost didn't make the deadline cause finals but it worked out better than I had hopped.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Just an fyi the next contest is going to have a very different feel. I've been working on the template for a few days now, and I'm excited to see what people can do. My goal is to have it up tomorrow or Saturday at the latest.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I'll pay more attention to the rules next time. Sorry about that.

I'm excited for the next contest. Again, probably gonna get last, but who cares? It's a fun contest series!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Jer said:
I'm not going to put this lightly dude. I thought your track should have been disqualified for those two extra over banks, I liked the ride, but when I saw those it dropped your score immensely. You need to read he rules and make sure you follow it to the T, because anywhere else that would have been inexcusable. Case and point, a few years ago I entered a competition on coaster crazy and was DQd because half a footer was outside the build boundaries.
I mean, I agree, but I think that rule was a bit... pointless(?) in the first place. So much so that I actually had to go back and re-read them as I didn't think it existed.

Here's my logic. When doing an RMC conversion you could do anything you like, but it wouldn't be realistic. You could have made everything inversions, just spiralling away for the whole track, but you'd have scored (really) badly on realism. Likewise with track modifications. Where do you draw the line on something so subjective as that? In my opinion (and you're perfectly entitled to disagree), the overbanks were a fine addition to the ride, but they weren't generally built very well. I wonder if you'd have a different view on them if they were done perfectly?

Must have at least three inversions - easy, you'll be DQd (or at least heavily penalised) if you don't do it.
Must stay within the box - easy, see above
Must reach 90 mph - easy, see above
Must not have too major modifications to the original track - define major? Most of the RMC conversions to date pretty major. To my mind they could easily start adding whole new sections of track and we wouldn't be that blown away.

Maybe I'm labouring my point too much now... :lol:

tomahawk

Strata Poster
No I disagree with Jer here as well, I honestly looked the extra overbanks, it made it different. Hell, colossus lost more than half its layout and the run by the parking lot is 100% different but its all in terms of execution.

Next contest to be up later today as of now. I've spent close to five hours building it and prepping it. I am adding a new rule that the judges all mud enter. So that said, I'd like to get judgez before we start. I believe Hixee and myself should be two, but the third should rotate. Who wants it?