What's new

Lightning Rod Status

i305_zack

Mega Poster
Could someone answer my concern here, though I really do like this, won’t there be a noticeable change going from Ibox to topper, and will it be a comfortable transition? A part of me just wishes they redid the whole thing

jay37415

Mega Poster
To me the only difference you will feel would be similar to riding a wood coaster that has been partially retracted. The new section will be a lot smoother. As long as the transitions are done correct you won’t feel it. Those that have ridden the GCI at Fun Spot say this.

I found this picture of Topper Track next to I Box to answer the question of how the top piece of steel is basically the same. Hope it helps visualize how similar they are.7239F287-0093-4090-9EFC-C06966000B19.jpeg

i305_zack

Mega Poster
To me the only difference you will feel would be similar to riding a wood coaster that has been partially retracted. The new section will be a lot smoother. As long as the transitions are done correct you won’t feel it. Those that have ridden the GCI at Fun Spot say this.

I found this picture of Topper Track next to I Box to answer the question of how the top piece of steel is basically the same. Hope it helps visualize how similar they are.View attachment 10599
Well yah I see that but people still do complain about Lightning Rod being rough so how is it the case that Lightning Rod got rough so quick if it is basically riding on steel track

UP87

Mega Poster
The wood still supports the steel track. Either the forces are really high or the wood didn't meet the expected quality standards.

Christian

Hyper Poster
Lighting Rod is a very forceful ride. Every time a fully loaded train runs the track it will beat the track up. Whatever you do, steel is way more resistant than wood, even if the wood has a piece of steel on top of it. Wood is also affected by the seasons and by water which means that it slowly will contract and expand (more than steel does).

Dar

Hyper Poster
I wonder if the negative Gs are the problem with the topper track? Looking at the picture from IAAPA, the topper track overhangs the wood so I'm thinking the upstops loaded that overhang too much and it started twisting the wood underneath?

(No I'm not an engineer, yes RMC know way more than me, I'm just having a guess ;) )

Matt N

CF Legend
Here’s an interesting quandary for you all; as only part of the track is getting replaced with IBox, should Lightning Rod be considered a steel coaster or a wooden coaster?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Here’s an interesting quandary for you all; as only part of the track is getting replaced with IBox, should Lightning Rod be considered a steel coaster or a wooden coaster?
I'm leaning towards "no", as it's not an either/or situation at this point. A steel and wood coaster, perhaps. Hybrid, if you want to use the traditional term. "Composite" if you want to be fancy.

jay37415

Mega Poster

If you want some entertainment regarding this subject. Drop in on the TPR Dollywood forum. There's about six pages of people discussing this nonsense.

I think the general consensus on the Coasterforce boards is that as long as it runs the way its supposed to. Who really cares! I was lucky enough to ride it on day two of the trials. You would actually get ejector airtime off the first little drop after the launch. Even in the front seat. The second drop was just insane.

I am lucky enough to consider DW as my home park and have over 50 laps on LR, you guys will be blown away once you get to ride it the way its designed and the wood/steel will be a non issue.

EDjanaika

Mega Poster
If you want some entertainment regarding this subject. Drop in on the TPR Dollywood forum. There's about six pages of people discussing this nonsense.

I think the general consensus on the Coasterforce boards is that as long as it runs the way its supposed to. Who really cares! I was lucky enough to ride it on day two of the trials. You would actually get ejector airtime off the first little drop after the launch. Even in the front seat. The second drop was just insane.

I am lucky enough to consider DW as my home park and have over 50 laps on LR, you guys will be blown away once you get to ride it the way its designed and the wood/steel will be a non issue.
Lucky you! I'd love to go out to ride Lightning Rod over the next 5 years hopefully!

CoasterMOG

Roller Poster
Correct, but the park Manager Pete Owens did not confirm new trains, only some track work to be performed in areas needing it. He was asked about doing something with the crap restraints, but that would require ‘expensive’ trains, meaning not an option at this time.