What's new

Lego Coaster vs CDX Blocks

Which one is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

swoshysss

Roller Poster
Hello, I am having a hard time deciding between the lego roller coaster https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/roller-coaster-10261 and the cdx blocks Cyclone model (4 of them) I will be buying 2 medium motors with both of them. I like the detail, station, controls and switch track on the LEGO one, but I like the huge layout customizable on the CDX blocks coaster, and the 2 more trains (4 total). Please vote in the poll kthx.

Will

Strata Poster
I built the Lego coaster at the beginning of the year and while I'm intrigued by the realism of the CDX models, I think you'll always get better value for money with the Lego as well as it being a more satisfying and enjoyable build.

I also notice how few pieces CDX offer, compared to the 4000+ with the Lego.

On top of that, if you eBay the Lego after building it, you can get a fair chunk of your money back whereas I doubt there's as much of a marker for CDX.

89647630_10158575589975864_4240845807512715264_o.jpg

Last edited:

swoshysss

Roller Poster
I built the Lego coaster at the beginning of the year and while I'm intrigued by the realism of the CDX models, I think you'll always get better value for money with the Lego as well as it being a more satisfying and enjoyable build.

I also notice how few pieces CDX offer, compared to the 4000+ with the Lego.

On top of that, if you eBay the Lego after building it, you can get a fair chunk of your money back whereas I doubt there's as much of a marker for CDX.

View attachment 9908
Thanks for the reply, the largest issue I have is they are constantly out of stock and i'm not paying 70 dollars more on amazon. Another issue I have was for engineering I was planning to make a model coaster and customize the coaster trains and my deadline is early january. CDX has them in stock right now so I could start the project immediatly. Also I think it would sound a bit more impressive if I designed a custom layout myself compared to getting a premade so I am afriad I will have to go with CDX for the customizablility and the avalibility. I love LEGOs but I think for this CDX will prevail. (I also like I could get a huge coaster with CDX since I will have 4 Cylcone Sets compared to the LEGO layout)

swoshysss

Roller Poster
Thanks for the reply, the largest issue I have is they are constantly out of stock and i'm not paying 70 dollars more on amazon. Another issue I have was for engineering I was planning to make a model coaster and customize the coaster trains and my deadline is early january. CDX has them in stock right now so I could start the project immediatly. Also I think it would sound a bit more impressive if I designed a custom layout myself compared to getting a premade so I am afriad I will have to go with CDX for the customizablility and the avalibility. I love LEGOs but I think for this CDX will prevail. (I also like I could get a huge coaster with CDX since I will have 4 Cylcone Sets compared to the LEGO layout)
Also it's for engineering in aerodynamics btw.

emoo

Hyper Poster
I've also been wondering about the Lego Coaster, but with no deadline. On its release I had other priorities but lockdown gave rise to other alternatives.

The cost could be saved for a trip with actual credits, and the model takes up more space than souvenirs (rightly so but still... its huge). Then I'd want to make it bigger to amend a few things that the box model patches up with a tornado sticker - extending my main concerns.

Once it retires I don't want remorse for missing out so could just buy now as an investment, but on arrival would no doubt just think " **** it" and assemble. I hoard so wouldn't sell in a hurry.

Is the final model really worth it?

Will

Strata Poster
Ah, I had it for Christmas with the intention of putting it together, enjoying it for a few days and then selling it before May to raise capital for a trip.
Obviously, with the year going to **** what actually happened was I ended up spending the money on a succession of Lego - it's rather ruined the investment, but I'm doing Hogwarts Castle at the moment :)

Going back to the original point, if it was destined to end up as a display model, you'd have to make up your own mind whether you thought it was worth the space it took up - I've done all my Lego-ing at the family home as there's no way I'd have space for it in my own house!

emoo

Hyper Poster
I have potential space but the cat could never be allowed to sit there again. What was the actual build like - did it feel like more than just threading supports?

Will

Strata Poster
^
There is a LOT of support building involved, but a certain amount of variety otherwise

Videos like this give you the general feel of it :)

...and yes, I learned the hard way how much cats like shiny stickers - my carousel lived in a kitchen cupboard while I was building it!

swoshysss

Roller Poster
^
There is a LOT of support building involved, but a certain amount of variety otherwise

Videos like this give you the general feel of it :)

...and yes, I learned the hard way how much cats like shiny stickers - my carousel lived in a kitchen cupboard while I was building it!
I've also been wondering about the Lego Coaster, but with no deadline. On its release I had other priorities but lockdown gave rise to other alternatives.

The cost could be saved for a trip with actual credits, and the model takes up more space than souvenirs (rightly so but still... its huge). Then I'd want to make it bigger to amend a few things that the box model patches up with a tornado sticker - extending my main concerns.

Once it retires I don't want remorse for missing out so could just buy now as an investment, but on arrival would no doubt just think " **** it" and assemble. I hoard so wouldn't sell in a hurry.

Is the final model really worth it?
Thank you both of yall for your help on helping me decide, I order 4 Cylcone sets since they are 25% off on amazon right now. I know Will says the Cyclone does not have a lot of pieces but that is because a lot of the main structure is bigger plastic pieces compared to the tiny mini pieces on the LEGO Coaster. Also the Cylcone by itself's layout (I'm 99% Sure) is just slightly larger and the trains/track are better engineered. I not going to sell my coaster once I build it as I am a Coaster Enthusiast so I thought get 2 birds with 1 rock. I will probably post a video on a new channel on youtube and maybe start up a mini career to help pay for stuff as a model Coaster builder that can display his builds and give tutorials. That's again for everyones help!

swoshysss

Roller Poster
Thank you both of yall for your help on helping me decide, I order 4 Cylcone sets since they are 25% off on amazon right now. I know Will says the Cyclone does not have a lot of pieces but that is because a lot of the main structure is bigger plastic pieces compared to the tiny mini pieces on the LEGO Coaster. Also the Cylcone by itself's layout (I'm 99% Sure) is just slightly larger and the trains/track are better engineered. I not going to sell my coaster once I build it as I am a Coaster Enthusiast so I thought get 2 birds with 1 rock. I will probably post a video on a new channel on youtube and maybe start up a mini career to help pay for stuff as a model Coaster builder that can display his builds and give tutorials. That's again for everyones help!
Last comment or reply or whatever I swear. This is what you can build with 4 CDX sets, It's a racing coaster but my would not be a racing coaster. They also push slowly so it doesn't go too fast and you can actually watch the POV.
Also I was thinking about recreating Candymonium at Hershey Park.