Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

League of Goons 2018: Suggestions

Discussion in 'League of Goons 2018' started by Hixee, Dec 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hixee

Hixee Flojector Staff Member Moderator CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    So, the 2017 LoG is drawing to a close - only a few more weeks to submit those vital final points before I'll tot it all up and announce the winner (I'm hoping that'll be third week of January, all being well).

As I start to think about getting set up for next year, I'd like to open the floor to feedback from this year, and suggestions for next year. I currently have a few work-in-progress ideas, which I'm looking to work up, but I'd appreciate any thoughts you can share. What works? What doesn't work? Are the points right? Should I drop something?

My current 'planned' change list is (in the order it's occurring to me now):
    • Drop waterpark points.
    • Reduce number of bonus points for "new for 2017", and cap the number at 5 new rides per park per day.
    • Increase the bonus points gained for riding any of the record holders, and publish the current list (however keeping the onus on you to check if you get them or not).
    • Bonus point for solo riding.
    • Bonus point for first/last train of the day.
    I'll update this list in blue as your suggestions come in (and are vetted).

I look forward to hearing from you!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  2. TilenB

TilenB Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Coaster Count:
    There wasn't a cap this year?

A bit of a shame to lose the waterpark points too, I like doing them water parks (though I think I only submitted those twice in the past 4 years, so not really much of a loss). :p

3. Hixee

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    You'd think, but only after Edward M went to Park at OWA did I realise not!

Well maybe I'll leave them in - we just had so few submissions this year (15 waterparks out of over 500 submissions) I thought it wasn't that popular. I think this might, in part, be down to the fact that they have to be a theme park with a waterpark, not standalone waterparks. Let's see if anyone else has a strong desire to keep them in. :p

TilenB likes this.
  4. VTCGA5

VTCGA5 Member

Best Coaster:
    Hades 360
    Best Park:
    SFGAm
    Please keep the waterpark submission points

Also, maybe add points for getting the first/last cycle of the day on a ride. +1?

5. HeartlineCoaster

HeartlineCoaster Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Helix
    Best Park:
    Liseberg
    Coaster Count:
    More of a goon QnA than a suggestion: if the back row of a train is backwards, does the back row of the forward seats give a bonus ;)

6. Hixee

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Of course not. ;)

7. HeartlineCoaster

Best Coaster:
    Helix
    Best Park:
    Liseberg
    Coaster Count:
    Worth a shot.
    Reducing new ride bonuses sounds good, Turkey sucks.
    Can't think of anything to change, as long it's mostly the same I look forward to killing it in 2018.

Hixee likes this.
  8. Hyde

Hyde I Lied About My Age! Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    A half funny bonus point: solo riding in an empty train bonus point, with photo to prove it. Great way to celebrate gooning in a dead park. :p

Also appreciate posting a list of official record holders, really would help as quick reference.

Overall, loved the 2017 season Hixee! Great work in moderating!

9. Hixee

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Okay, thanks for the suggestions everyone. Keep any ideas coming while I publish the results from 2017 and set up the 2018 threads!

10. HeartlineCoaster

Best Coaster:
    Helix
    Best Park:
    Liseberg
    Coaster Count:
    Is there any room for movement on the 'new for this year' rides being X number of months from opening or something?
    Found myself stumbling across a lot of stuff in the opening year thread that doesn't qualify because calendar year operation isn't really applicable in some places.

I'd be all over this one, but ugh... photos.
    Any particular reason that one would require more proof over other train based ones?

11. Hixee

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    I'm going to be a bit of an arse on this one, and I do see your point, but no. It's points for attractions listed/marketed as "New for 2018" by the park. The number of points at stake in 2018 is greatly reduced - I'm thinking bonus 10 points, max of five per park per day, compared to last year where it was unlimited amount at 25 points each! This will make them much less influential anyway.
    A valid point. I won't require a photo - it's only going to be worth one point anyway.

12. witchfinder

witchfinder Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Islands of Adventure
    Coaster Count:
    One idea I thought of was to reduce the number of park points for repeated visits to the same park. If you go to the same park for three consecutive days, that takes a lot less effort than going to three different parks on consecutive days, yet you get the same points. Not quote sure how you'd best implement it but maybe half the points for visits to the same park in the same month?

Also, for the waterpark points, why not make them available for non-park waterparks? That would probably get more submissions. It doesn't really matter if they're attached to a park as you only get a set number of points anyway. In fact, arguably you should get more for a standalone waterpark because you have to pay a separate entry fee to get in there! :)

The other thing I'd like to see if a point per inversion. In other words, to more thrilling coasters you ride, the more points you can earn. It should be up to the person making the submission to declare these though, rather than anyone caluclating them.

Just a few ideas to mix things up a bit! :)

13. witchfinder

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Islands of Adventure
    Coaster Count:
    What about a bonus point if you do get a photo? Since that would suggest you may have had to get a stranger to take it which would be extra goony I'd say. Plus it would be fun to see them and that's what this comp should be about! :D

14. Hixee

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    I agree! I will add "proof of solo ride" to the ORP/ORV points.

I've updated the rules to reflect this.

15. TilenB

TilenB Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Coaster Count:
    I think I asked peep that when he first came up with the LoG. The problem was that there's no clear way to what defines a water park and people could just end up adding their local pools that happen to have a small waterslide as water parks.

Though, @Hixee, I'm still not too sure with what can be counted as a water park? Does it have to be included in the theme park's ticket price and can't be accessed without visiting the park itself?
    Also, how do the water parks with a coaster count? I gather we don't get visit points, but are those eligible for water park points?

peep likes this.
  16. Hixee

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Sorry @witchfinder, I totally missed your first post (*grumble grumble double post grumble*)!
    Yes! I cracked it! I've wanted to implement this for a while, but I've never been able to think of an efficient way of doing it. You see, with the exception of the map and those fancy proportion graphs, everything else is processed inside Excel automatically. I just enter in your submissions, and the spreadsheet does everything else. I've struggled to work out an efficient automatic way of calculating this. What I mean by that, is that I've not found the time. A couple of coffees have given me the motivation, and I've worked out an idiot proof way of this getting calculated. Excellent! I'll update the rules now.

Pretty much this:
    It's already a reasonable hassle tracking down some of the parks (hence why I'm now asking for exact RCDB name, or official park name) only. The idea of having to start tracking all those random water parks in the Mediterranean makes me feel a bit queasy. :p

While on the subject of water parks - I see there as being three distinct types:

Stand alone with no coasters - Examples: Siam Park, Typhoon Lagoon
    No points available through LoG.

Connected to a park - Examples: Holiday World Splashin' Safari, Claifornia's Great America
    Water park visit points only (50).

Either stand alone or connected to a park, but with a coaster - Examples: Yas Waterworld (can't think of any others, off the top of my head?)
    Essentially treat this as a theme park - entry points and coaster(s) ridden. No points for any other attractions other than coasters, though.

Hotels with water parks (thinking like Alton Towers Resort) don't get you any points.

Afraid I'm not a fan of this one - I just think it's going to be too fiddly. There are bonus points already for front/back and the record holders.

17. peep

peep Moderator Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    Hixee, I'm loving the new addition to the park visit points. That could mix things up quite nicely.

18. witchfinder

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Islands of Adventure
    Coaster Count:
    Yeah, sorry about that - didn't spot the comment about the 'only rider' points till later :)

Fair enough, but you could just say they only count if they've got a website (which you have to link to if submitting a standalone waterpark)

This seems a bit strange to me because Alton's waterpark is closer to the theme park than Dollywood's for example, and you have to pay a separate entry fee for both, yet Dollywood's counts. How do the Orlando waterparks fit in with this? Volcano Bay and Aquatica specifically? (Yes, I am planning to visit them this year :D)

I guess so. Maybe this coulld be implemented if there was some kind of web form to do submissions on that pulled data from RCDB, but that's a completely different discussion...

19. Hixee

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    This is why I wanted to scrap the water parks altogether! It's such a hassle to get a set of rules that are clear for everyone to follow.

I possibly should have been clearer: standalone water park = included in the entrance ticket to the park. As Dollywood's and Alton's are separate entrance fees, they don't count. I think this would also cover Volcano Bay and Aquatica, sadly. Unfortunately, you're slightly convincing me to be a bit dictatorial about it and just remove water park points altogether... :p

Quite, this would be a great way to do it. If you've got any idea how to make this happen, then I'm all ears. :p

20. witchfinder

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Islands of Adventure
    Coaster Count:
    Erm, you may need to dock 50 points off my total for last year then... ;)

To be honest I think that would be fair. At the moment there only seems to be a very small number of parks worldwide that qualify and only a select few people are going to get the opportunity to visit them. So giving those people 50 points for something that most people can't get seems overly generous!

It's definitley possible, but I don't have all the skills to do it (I have the database skills but not the web programming). I'd guess RCDB might want some form of payment for using their data too so it's probably not feasible. It's too late for this year anyway but maybe if it goes well again this year we could look at something for 2019. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.