Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

League of Goons 2018: Results!

Discussion in 'League of Goons 2018' started by Hixee, May 28, 2018.

1. Hixee

Hixee Flojector Staff Member Moderator CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Life has been a bit full-on these last few weeks, so I've just got round to sorting this out. I'm going to do a slightly reduced set of results each quarter, and only dump all the graphs and things in the final results at the end of the year. Anyway...

Q1 results

The first quarter is over, and the results are in! First off, let's start with some statistics.

We've had 24 members sign up so far, which is great to see. Of those 24 members, 11 of you have logged points in the first quarter. You've scored a total of 5705 points, visited a total of 79 parks and ridden 310 coasters.

Without further ado, here's the table, as it stands at the close of Q1:

[​IMG]

Congratulations to @gavin, @HeartlineCoaster and @Hixee (me!) for their podium positions this quarter. You'll each recieve 40, 30 and 20 trophy points respectively.

In future results posts, we'll also do a little league table and compare how members' positions have shifted as the year has progressed!

And here's a world map, with all of the parks visited in Q1 shown. I've got two different types of map here - one normal with all the parks visted plotted once. The second one is a heat-map, with each visit to each park plotted, and the heat-map applied accordingly (density based). Let me know which one (if either) you prefer!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you have any ideas for stats or visualisations you'd like to see, please get in touch and I'll see what I can do! Although I'm well aware I might be the only one who actively enjoys doing this kind of thing... ;)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    peep, CSLKennyNI and TilenB like this.
  2. gavin

gavin Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Social Media Team CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Dunno
    Best Park:
    Tokyo DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    Going to enjoy my 1st quarter victory while I can, before it tumbles into obscurity in the 2nd. "Obscurity" being outside the top 3 obviously.

Hixee likes this.
  3. HeartlineCoaster

HeartlineCoaster Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Helix
    Best Park:
    Liseberg
    It's fun to have a little geography goon test with those maps and play name that park.
    What's the market value of these trophy points? ;)

4. peep

peep Moderator Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    Not been that much point logging so far, a little surprised at that.

I always look forward to the graphs etc that you produce Hixee, I also appreciate that Gavin helped spread the map markers already by visiting New Zealand. I wonder how much of the map we'll cover this year?

5. Hixee

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Funny you say that - the numbers actually say the opposite (as a comparison to last year). In 2017 we had 11 out of 28 signed-up members submitting a total of 4735 points, but this year we've had 11 out of 24 signed-up members submitting a total of 5705. That's a 17% climb in participation and a 20% increase in number of points submitted! I don't have the spreadsheet on hand right away, but it would be interesting to see how many separate submissions have been made - I wonder if people have been submitting higher scoring visits, and therefore giving the impression that there hasn't been much activity.

Yeah, the heat-map thing is pretty nifty, isn't it? Might investigate some other things as the months go on. No promises, but watch this space!

6. Hixee

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Currently, not much, but after the reckoning they'll be traded for food, water and posting-on-CF rights.

GuyWithAStick likes this.
  7. HeartlineCoaster

HeartlineCoaster Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Helix
    Best Park:
    Liseberg
    In reverse order of importance.

8. witchfinder

witchfinder Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Islands of Adventure
    Coaster Count:
    I think we all like the visualisations, so please keep up the great work! :)

Might be too hard to do but what about a journey map for each entrant that shows a 'route' between the parks the've visited over the year, in date order? Kind of like the scenes in the Indiana Jones films where he travels from one location to another. So for me it would be the Orlando Parks, then Tampa, Staffordshire, Glasgow, Staffordshire again and so on...

9. Hixee

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Q2 results

We're halfway through the year, and you're all logging points like crazy!

We've had 26 members sign up so far, which is great to see. Of those 26 members, 19 of you have logged points in the second quarter. You've scored a total of 20576 points, visited a total of 255 parks and ridden 1559 coasters. Wow!

Without further ado, here's the table, as it stands at the close of Q2:

[​IMG]

Congratulations to @Nic, @iac17 and @HeartlineCoaster for their podium positions this quarter. You'll each recieve 40, 30 and 20 trophy points respectively.

Let's see how the total points are looking at the moment, and see how we've shuffled around from last quarter. Interestingly, there's a sizable spread of points in the top three, each being separated by over 450 points.

[​IMG]

The big changes are:
    - @Nic and @iac17 flying in to the top three as new entries this quarter.
    - @Ben, @JoshC. and myself tumbling down the table. Mostly due to the huge number of new participants this quarter.
    - We've generally seen very little upward movement by the members who logged points in Q1.

And here's a world map, with all of the parks visited in Q2 shown. I've got two different types of map here - one normal with all the parks visted plotted once. The second one is a heat-map, with each visit to each park plotted, and the heat-map applied accordingly (density based). Let me know which one (if either) you prefer!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you have any ideas for stats or visualisations you'd like to see, please get in touch and I'll see what I can do! Although I'm well aware I might be the only one who actively enjoys doing this kind of thing... ;)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    peep likes this.
  10. peep

peep Moderator Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    Ooo, the heat map is interesting, pretty much what I would have expected to see - it would be interesting to see another one at the end of the year, some of those spots could get pretty intense!

11. Hyde

Hyde I Lied About My Age! Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    Where's a complete database of roller coaster names, locations, and stats when you need one. :p

Great graphics!

Hixee likes this.
  12. Pear

Pear Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Aw man I was so close!