Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

League of Goons 2017: Results!

Discussion in 'League of Goons 2017' started by Hixee, May 2, 2017.

1. Hixee

Hixee Most Knowledgeable Member 2016 Staff Member Moderator CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    Welcome to the League of Goons results topic!

Here I'll be posting a quarterly update on the league (with plenty of facts and figures), dishing out the trophy points and generally giving you an update on things.

The Q1 results will be uploaded soon...

2. Hixee

Hixee Most Knowledgeable Member 2016 Staff Member Moderator CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    Q1 results

The first quarter is over, and the results are in! First off, let's start with some statistics.

We've had 28 members sign up so far, which is great to see. Hopefully we can get even more as the season progresses. To those of you that can't be bothered to participate because it "takes too much effort", please think again! It's really easy, and REALLY goony.

Of those 28 members, 11 of you have logged points in the first quarter. You've scored a total of 4735 points, visited a total of 64 parks and ridden 264 coasters.

Without further ado, here's the table, as it stands at the close of Q1:

[​IMG]

Congratulations to @peep, @Edward M and @Sanchezmran for their podium positions this quarter. You'll each recieve 40, 30 and 20 trophy points respectively.

In future results posts, I'll also do a little league table and compare how members' positions have shifted as the year has progressed!

Finally, here's a visualisation of how you've each earned your points this month. These are normalised scores, simply showing the proportion of a member's points that they've earnt in each month. I think it's interesting to see how some members have had one large month, whilst others have been slower and steadier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a world map, with all of the parks visited in Q1 shown. You've been quite far!

[​IMG]

I'll do a similar series of stats and charts at the end of each quarter - if only because I quite like the data manipulation! :p

If you have any ideas for stats or visualisations you'd like to see, please get in touch and I'll see what I can do! Although I'm well aware I might be the only one who actively enjoys doing this kind of thing... ;)

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Rachel, TilenB, Pink Cadillac and 4 others like this.
  3. peep

peep Moderator Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    Ah you actually did stats and graphs <3 Thanks again for taking over the League this year, it's clearly in much better hands :)

Great to see so many getting involved this year, will be interesting to see how that develops over the year.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

4. Sanchezmran

Sanchezmran Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    Coaster Count:
    Wow, wasn't expecting to make Top 3. Glad I got in those last minute points! Gotta savior this while it lasts, because there's no way I'm maintaining that place.

5. Hixee

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    Q2 results

The second quarter is over, and the results are in! As before, let's start with some statistics.

We've had 6 more members sign up this quarter, bringing the total number of members up to 32.

Of those 32 members, 21 of you have logged points this year, with 10 people logging points for the first time this quarter. You've scored a total of 18120 points, visited a total of 219 parks and ridden 1207 coasters.

Without further ado, here's the table for Q2:

[​IMG]

Congratulations to @Ben, @Jordanovichy and @gavin for their podium positions this quarter. You'll each recieve 40, 30 and 20 trophy points respectively.

Now, how about the total leaderboard for the year so far? Well:

[​IMG]

Here we can see @Ben taking the overall lead, up four places from the end of last quarter. @gavin is also a new entry into the top three, knocking @Edward M from his second place position. Other notable position changes are:
    - @Jordanovichy climbing seven places, to fourth place overall
    - @peep tumbling to fifth place from his leading position last quarter
    - @ATTACKHAMMER and @Rachel dropping seven and eleven places respectively, although this is in part due to a lot of new members this quarter

As before, to finish, here's a visualisation of how you've each earned your points this month. These are normalised scores, simply showing the proportion of a member's points that they've earnt in each month. I think it's interesting to see how some members have had one large month, whilst others have been slower and steadier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a world map, with all of the parks visited in Q2 shown. You've been quite far!

[​IMG]

If you have any ideas for stats or visualisations you'd like to see, please get in touch and I'll see what I can do!

Keep up the submissions as we head into the latter part of the summer and into the autumn. Let's see if we can disrupt those upper positions.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Edward M, JoshC., peep and 3 others like this.
  6. peep

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    I'm absolutely loving these graphs and the World map. Look forward to see how much of the map we fill by the end of the year.

7. JoshC.

JoshC. Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    If only I'd bothered to sort out my June bonus points in time, I might have climbed up to sixth. Will have to try harder. :(

But yeah, loving all the stats! <3

8. Jordanovichy

Jordanovichy Credit Whore 2016 Staff Member Social Media Team CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Eejanaika
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Ahem, I went to Finland in Q2 ;)

But yeah, loving these visualisations...shame I'm pretty much done for the year :(

9. Hixee

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    Yes, yes you did. Don't know what went wrong there - I think just a copy-paste error. Updated the map in the first post now. Apologies!

10. witchfinder

witchfinder Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    PortAventura
    Coaster Count:
    Well this quarter was my best chance to get into the top 3 and I still didn't manage it... Still, gotta be happy with only being outdone by the mighty trio of Ben, Jordanovichy and Gavin I suppose! :D

Great work on all the stats and graphs. You're doing an awesome job Hixee.

11. sKrATcher

sKrATcher Member

Best Coaster:
    Millennium Force
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    Coaster Count:
    Looks like my hobby is turning into goals :)

12. Hixee

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    Q3 results

The third quarter is over, and the results are in! As before, let's start with some statistics.

We've had 2 more members sign up this quarter, bringing the total number of members up to 34.

Of those 34 members, 24 of you have logged points this year, with 3 people logging points for the first time this quarter. You've scored a total of 19195 points, visited a total of 191 parks and ridden 1358 coasters. Our busiest quarter so far!

Without further ado, here's the table for Q3:

[​IMG]

Congratulations to @seamaur, @gavin and @Edward M for their podium positions this quarter. You'll each recieve 40, 30 and 20 trophy points respectively.

Now, how about the total leaderboard for the year so far? Well:

[​IMG]

Here we can see @gavin has traded places with @Ben at the top spot, with @Edward M close behind. Nearly 1000 points separate third and fourth, with @seamaur leaping up nine positions! Other notable position changes are:
    - @VTCGA5 making some good headway up the league table, climbing four places this quarter
    - @peep managing to hold his own and stay in 5th position, which is surprising given all of the activity this quarter!
    - @CSLKennyNI doing an excellent job of placing tenth even though this was his first quarter logging points.

As before, to finish, here's a visualisation of how you've each earned your points this month. These are normalised scores, simply showing the proportion of a member's points that they've earnt in each month. I think it's interesting to see how some members have had one large month, whilst others have been slower and steadier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a world map, with all of the parks visited in Q3 shown. You've been quite far!

[​IMG]

If you have any ideas for stats or visualisations you'd like to see, please get in touch and I'll see what I can do!

Keep up the submissions as we head into the end of the year - hopefully some last minute trips to warmer climates will make all the difference!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Thekingin64, Edward M, peep and 4 others like this.
  13. JoshC.

JoshC. Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Eurgh, if I hadn't been so busy and lazy over the past couple of months and actually bothered to do my submissions I'd have probably held onto my 7th position. I never learn...

This gives me the kick to actually submit last month's stuff I suppose. Will have to try and get a final push!

I love all the stats and graphs though - thanks for continuing with them! <3

14. peep

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    I was thinking last night when the Q3 results would be out. It's much more random and interesting being this side of the league. Very interesting to see several late comers start to dominate points-wise. Don't think I've seen that before.

15. TilenB

TilenB Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Coaster Count:
    Hah, interesting to see how all of my nominations strayed away from the usual clusters (Southern Spain, UAE and Australia). Safe to say this wasn't a very coaster-focused year as far as my travels go. :p

Huh? It's already below freezing where I live. :D

16. Hixee

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    That's what you get for C&P-ing quarter to quarter!

17. seamaur

seamaur Active Member

Best Coaster:
    El Toro
    Best Park:
    Dollywood
    Coaster Count:
    Holy cow! I didn't realize I had accumulated more points than everyone else. I guess all that marathoning of Eagle and Lightning Racer helped quite a bit. Unfortunately, this was by far my busiest quarter and things are pretty much done for me as we head into the end of the year.

18. HeartlineCoaster

HeartlineCoaster Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Helix
    Best Park:
    Liseberg
    So I got bored at work again and added up what I would have got if I had bothered to sign up for this when I joined CF this year.
    Coming out at around 4600.
    Oops.

19. Hixee

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    Well you'll know for next year! ;)

20. Hyde

Hyde Matt SR Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    The Voyage
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    An idea on visualization (possibly for next year) would be market share of each respective park in terms of visitation. Would require more data entry in translating the forum posts to data; but a cool insight to most visited parks!