What's new

Knoebels | Flying Turns | In house construction

c&r

Mega Poster
Oh my god. That is just freaking awesome. Knowing the quality of the current rides at knoebels, hopefully this will be every bit as good, and shall be darn fun :-D. Suppose I'll be finding out next year anyway.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
This'll be very special, because all the work is being done in-house, with everything being designed like the originals, but with modern safety & technology. The scale of this project means that they currently have no idea when it'll be finished. They're saying by 2007 at the moment.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
It'll be pretty much identical to the same ride from Euclid Beach, the blueprints of which are being used by the park to build this one.

EDIT - Not for the first time, I was wrong! :lol:

c&r

Mega Poster
Holy ****e, I didn't realise that. This is definitely going to be amazing then, no doubt about it. And 07? Damn, guess I won't be finding out next year then.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
I saw Screamscape mentioning something about this about a month or two ago. I'm really amazed that they're willing to invest in something like this (very pleased to). This is one of those things that just doesn't exist anymore, and it's good to see a classic remade. I've always wanted to ride one of these, so hopefully now I can get the chance.

Dave

CF Legend
After much researching i can say that they are.

Here is a description from Ultimate Coasters:
Flying Turns - The original term used to describe a bobsled roller coaster. Flying Turns was a wooden coaster with a trough that a train descended in. There is no track so the train is free to move within the U-shaped trough.

A small picture of the old roller coaster
stp-bobsled.jpg

from- http://naid.sppsr.ucla.edu

Apparently it can reach speeds of 50mph

robbeal

Hyper Poster
Yep, and the Euclid Beach one is the one that Knoebels are basing their ride on. They've got one of the old cars off that ride I believe, to use as a basis for designing the new ones. They're really putting their all into making this as accurate as possible compared to the originals, so fingers crossed that it'll be great.

A

Anonymous

Woah, This is defiantely good news! I was hoping for a return of a classic ride a couple of months back, so this is perfect. These rides look like wicked fun on RCT2.

A

Anonymous

robbeal said:
Yep, and the Euclid Beach one is the one that Knoebels are basing their ride on.
It's Riverview's they're basing on, which is around half the size of Euclid Beach's. John Fetterman is extending it somewhat however, and it'll run three five car trains holding ten people each.

A

Anonymous

Lord Kotowa said:
Yeah but isn't the Flying Turns that are portrayed on RCT2 are like La Vibora?

yes, but that's wrong. rct3 got it right, though.

i'm way, way, too excited about this! i've always been fascinated by them, even if they are just "wooden bobsleds".

kir

Hyper Poster
I can't imagine this being any better than the current Bobsled coasters, but I still think they're an exciting concept! It'll be interesting to see a re-birth either way.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Well, La Vibora (as well as Disaster Transport) is right, though it is basically Intamin's attempt at Bobsleds, where they used one single car, as opposed to the multiple-car trains that are used by other bobsled coaster manufacturers, such as Mack.

So, its simply another companies, Intamin's, style of Bobsled coasters.

A

Anonymous

Hyde244 said:
Well, La Vibora (as well as Disaster Transport) is right, though it is basically Intamin's attempt at Bobsleds, where they used one single car, as opposed to the multiple-car trains that are used by other bobsled coaster manufacturers, such as Mack.

So, its simply another companies, Intamin's, style of Bobsled coasters.

no, it isn't. a flying turns is a wooden rollercoaster style of the 1940's similar to the modern bobsled, and, otherwise, has absolutely nothing to do with la vibora, or intamin. i'm guessing rct2 has gotten you confused, too, but, as i said before, they got it wrong, along with just about everything else!

Dave

CF Legend
Well to be a bore so far there are around 12 footers been layed, thats all i can see from the webcam.