What's new

Kings Island | Orion | B&M Giga Coaster

Snoo

The Legend
To the Americans who do not like the look of this coaster i think we should trade.

The UK is getting a 10 inversion coaster next year and you can have that, we have one like it already and this would have the most inversions in your country, amazing right? So yea we will take the giga as it does not seem to wanted the way it is, and hay you might get the giga you what in the future ?

Move here. You won't have that problem. :p

TLARides

Hyper Poster
To the Americans who do not like the look of this coaster i think we should trade.

The UK is getting a 10 inversion coaster next year and you can have that, we have one like it already and this would have the most inversions in your country, amazing right? So yea we will take the giga as it does not seem to wanted the way it is, and hay you might get the giga you what in the future
I don't know any park that would take The Smiler, man. Sorry.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Lower class people (KI fans in this case) don't get to act salty and entitled, they quietly accept their short of of the stick.
So you’re comparing being economically disadvantaged to owning a season pass to a major amusement parks that’s gotten coasters every 2-5 years since roughly 2000 and is adding a giant $40 million 300’ Coaster for 2020? Is that honestly what this is?

ultimate poaster

Roller Poster
So you’re comparing being economically disadvantaged to owning a season pass to a major amusement parks that’s gotten coasters every 2-5 years since roughly 2000 and is adding a giant $40 million 300’ Coaster for 2020? Is that honestly what this is?

It's the sudden, dawning realization I live for. I'm glad you've been enlightened. You're welcome.

Pear

Strata Poster
Orion is 30 million dollars. If it was 40 maybe it would have had a 2nd half and not barely qualify as a giga.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Despite my earlier comment about the brake run feeling like it should be the MCBR, I’m really struggling to understand the reception this coaster is receiving. I’d be over the moon and giddy with excitement if this was coming to our local park.

Maybe we should not be hoping for a big coaster at Thorpe, if this is how it will make us all feel!!! ???

Matt N

CF Legend
Despite my earlier comment about the brake run feeling like it should be the MCBR, I’m really struggling to understand the reception this coaster is receiving. I’d be over the moon and giddy with excitement if this was coming to our local park.

Maybe we should not be hoping for a big coaster at Thorpe, if this is how it will make us all feel!!! ???
I am kind of thinking this myself; as someone who's lived in amongst the UK scene for my entire life, I'd be smitten with this coaster! Perhaps it's because Kings Island is located in the East Coast of America, a market that's already somewhat saturated with quality coasters, including a taller, faster, longer giga in the same state? I am immensely excited by this coaster and I too am slightly mystified by the almost overwhelmingly negative reception to the announcement, but it's perhaps easier to understand why members are somewhat indifferent about Orion when you look at what sort of coasters Kings Island and the state of Ohio already has. I'd personally still be excited by this coaster even if I lived in Ohio and viewed it from the perspective of what else Ohio has, though; what's not to love about a 300ft tall B&M of all things?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'd personally still be excited by this coaster even if I lived in Ohio and viewed it from the perspective of what else Ohio has, though; what's not to love about a 300ft tall B&M of all things?
It's just about what it could (or should) have been. If Fury 325 (and probably Leviathan, too) didn't exist, I think there would be far less grumbling.

We know B&M, and Cedar Fair, can do better than this. They haven't, and that's disappointing.

Boodangy

Mega Poster
I'm just kinda confused why it has such a long and unnescessarily tall brake run? Would it really have been that much more expensive to add one little airtime hill and then a normal sized brake run low down or something?

Matt N

CF Legend
I'm just kinda confused why it has such a long and unnescessarily tall brake run? Would it really have been that much more expensive to add one little airtime hill and then a normal sized brake run low down or something?
I think it's so they can accommodate 3 trains without the use of an MCBR.

emoo

Hyper Poster
But how would the other Cedar Fair parks have afforded those waterslides? ?

There's a few B&M brake runs that go longer than appear necessary given a slowing train never seams to need it - but what if it did? Adding a new hill would just put the longer run elsewhere. There is plenty of apparent wasted potential with height and speed in brake runs on other coasters as well.

I suppose everyone wanting that little bit extra could raise a go fund me page and see how far that gets. I'm just glad CF are willing to put up so much money for so many gigas (more than anyone else) + no one else is doing so at the moment.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
For those wondering about why there's so much fuss over this ride, take a look at the "Is a Giga Worth It" topic.

A few of the recent posts have reminded me of another point I haven't mentioned yet - they only used half of Firehawk's plot. Now out of context, is this actually a problem? Not really...but considering that they shoved the station, lift base, entrance, and queue as close as possible to Flight of Fear while leaving the rest of the plot empty is strange. It's especially strange considering that if they reoriented the station, transfer shed, and brakes, they could have easily achieved a 300+ foot lift and then some. Not utilizing the available space efficiently also points to this ride just not being carefully thought out by the park.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
For those wondering about why there's so much fuss over this ride, take a look at the "Is a Giga Worth It" topic.

A few of the recent posts have reminded me of another point I haven't mentioned yet - they only used half of Firehawk's plot. Now out of context, is this actually a problem? Not really...but considering that they shoved the station, lift base, entrance, and queue as close as possible to Flight of Fear while leaving the rest of the plot empty is strange. It's especially strange considering that if they reoriented the station, transfer shed, and brakes, they could have easily achieved a 300+ foot lift and then some. Not utilizing the available space efficiently also points to this ride just not being carefully thought out by the park.
Could they be reserving space for future (possibly none coaster) additions?

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I don't know any park that would take The Smiler, man. Sorry.
You've changed!!!!

While I would clearly get in line to ride this whenever I return to Dayton, 100% absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, the ride I would be most excited for would be a re-ride on the Beast at night.
Says it all really.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

Taller brake run = lower speed = shorter stopping distance, basically.

TLARides

Hyper Poster
It appears like the entrance, queue, and ride infrastructure will block any access to the space behind it.
I guess that means the empty field behind the park is still going unused then, unless they decide to follow this up with a "strata."

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk