What's new

Kentucky Kingdom Report

TLARides

Hyper Poster
So me and my family took a trip down to Louisville to spend time at Kentucky Kingdom. We haven't done any of the water rides or Hurricane Bay things yet, that's for tomorrow.

What we did do was ride all 5 coasters (including RollerSkater, which was a pretty intense kiddie cred), get rained on, and I rode my very first RMC!

My take on the rides...

Lightning Run
Manufacturer: Chance Rides (I thought it was Vekoma or Arrow because of track design)
Type: Hyper GT-X
Height: 100 ft.
Speed: 55 mph
Length: 2,500 ft.
My Review: It's a great ride, absolutely loved it. My only problem is that it took those airtime hills extremely fast, like I was being plastered against the hydraulic restraints. Other than that, it was awesome.

Thunder Run
Manufacturer: Dinn Corp.
Type: Custom Wooden
Height: 90 ft.
Speed: 53 mph.
Length: 2,850 ft.
My Review: Really smooth for a Dinn Corp. Wooden. I think the new trains and recent retracking helped out a lot. Very fun, intense, and everything a classic wooden coaster should be.

T3
Manufacturer: Vekoma
Type: SLC
Height: 101.7 ft.
Speed: 49.7 mph
Length: 2,171.9 ft.
My Review: You know, I kept seeing how everyone hated SLCs and wondered why they did. Now I know why. I almost blacked out on the first drop and inversion and it was super jerky. And the hydraulic restraints only made it worse. At the end of the ride, my feet were asleep because the restraints tightened so much, it prevented blood flow. Overall, would be a lot more fun if it were a B&M.

Storm Chaser
Manufacturer: RMC
Type: I-Beam Hybrid
Height: 100 ft.
Speed: 52 mph
Length: 2,744 ft.
My Review: This was the first RMC I've ever ridden. And WOW, everyone is right when they said that RMC knows how to build a coaster. Probably my favorite ride at the park. Lots of good airtime, not too forceful, nearly perfect.

Photos from today

b551f09d68b5bcaec4cd962291016bbb.jpg

(Sorry that my camera quality sucks) My photo from Thunder Run, got front seat both times that I rode.

6a2875e2cbb2c53a44b2f755d23ad251.jpg

Neat photo I took of my parents and younger sister with the Ferris Wheel in the background.

69962a901c018151e29f8e6bef311f61.jpg

Selfie I took at the park entry sign.

1871f72adc1d6eccdf587c54b3800494.jpg

Family photo in front of the same sign.

Overall Park Review: Very good for a smaller park. The new owners are certainly doing a better job than what Six Flags did. I like how they got everything to fit into a small space and still have amazing rides. I think out of the rides I've ridden, Storm Chaser might be a new favorite.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Nice! Glad you liked the RMC - welcome to the club. :p

How does Storm Chaser sit in your top ten?

TLARides

Hyper Poster
Nice! Glad you liked the RMC - welcome to the club.

How does Storm Chaser sit in your top ten?
Top 3. Up there with Mystic Timbers and Thunderhead. Probably better than both, so 1? I don't know, it's complicated.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Haha, welcome to the enthusiast problem of having to boot good rides down your rankings. ;)

TLARides

Hyper Poster
Haha, welcome to the enthusiast problem of having to boot good rides down your rankings. ;)
Sadly enough. Then there's that point where you ride a previous top 3 and it's back in your #1 spot until you go back to ride the one that was in your #1 spot originally.

TLARides

Hyper Poster
After breakfast at Denny's and a short trip back to the hotel to grab my sister's wallet (and then waiting for the rain to die out), we got back to the park at around 12:00 (the park opened at 11), and the sky still looked like crap, so lines were short. Me and my sister went to ride Fearfall, which was honestly more terrifying than Drop Zone at KI. After that, we got a back seat ride on Storm Chaser (which was awesome), and then went to the waterpark where we took a ride on Tornado, the lazy river, and then two slides on Mt. Slide Hai. After that, my sister went to find our parents, leaving me to my own time. I was going to get myself changed to ride some rides, then the Big Kahuna (if that's how it's spelled) started and I decided "Yeah, I've got time."

After that, I got changed, and rode Thunder Run in the back seat. A bit rougher than when I rode it in the front, but was still a nice experience.

When I got off, I was deciding between riding T3, or Storm Chaser. Thankfully, I chose Storm Chaser. And me, being the exploration kind of person, decided to take the longer path past Eye of The Storm. That's when I spotted this...
5e446219a151dfe644dc488ebb3b1916.jpg

This sat right between to EoTS and a turn on Storm Chaser. I don't know if anyone here has seen this yet? Maybe someone here has and I'm not paying attention to the construction threads.

But after a bit of reriding and things, I met back up with my parents and sister and we rode the Raging Rapids before buying some merchandise and leaving.

I bought a Storm Chaser shirt since it's my first RMC and new favorite. It's not the one I wanted from the Little Shop of Screams, but it'll do.
269597a446b618e470bd9f1de07c8031.jpg

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Merged your day two thread with your main trip report thread.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I think it's better as it keeps the forums less cluttered and also keeps your trip in one place, so you can more easily come and look back at it in future (if you wish).

Sounds like a good time though - I'm especially glad you liked Storm Chaser. ;)

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Nice little report - like your enthusiasm in cataloging all of the stats. Aww to be young and have all those creds ahead of you...

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Great report! I never had that issue on T3 but it's a complaint I hear a lot, maybe I'm just immune to it. Good to see you liking Storm Chaser, though! You think that's good, wait til you ride the others... ;)

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you like Run's airtime hills at the end but like Chaser as much as you did? I feel like Lightning Run's airtime is way weaker...

TLARides

Hyper Poster
Great report! I never had that issue on T3 but it's a complaint I hear a lot, maybe I'm just immune to it. Good to see you liking Storm Chaser, though! You think that's good, wait til you ride the others... ;)

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you like Run's airtime hills at the end but like Chaser as much as you did? I feel like Lightning Run's airtime is way weaker...
I actually realized that Lightning Run's airtime was ejector and I was being dumb. So what I'm really trying to say is that it has great airtime, but it was going a little fast on the hill.