What's new

Kennywood | Steel Curtain | S&S Multi-looper

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
These definitely aren't good trains, but they're FAR from what the worst case scenario could've been. Lap Bars are a pleasant surprise. they thankfully didn't opt for the red/blue/yellow color scheme. I maintain this is the most interesting/intriguing coaster being built for North America in 2019 mostly because I have no idea how it'll end up and with the rest I have a strong idea of how the rest will ride.

Pear

Strata Poster
I really don't know why lap bars on an inverting coaster is a surprise in 2018. Did anyone really expect anything else? Hell the other S&S in the US for 2019 inverts with lapbars as well.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I think this is going to surprise a few folks when it opens up. As long as the craftsmanship and build quality are there, it should be a good ride. Y'all can bitch about how quirky the corkscrew drop and banana roll are, but the layout really is fantastic. It looks like there will be a few moments for some good bits of airtime throughout the ride. Plus, it has a stall so it's @tomahawk approved! Seriously...if it turns out smooth, it'll be good.

Don't get me wrong: this won't be a top ten buster, but it'll be a solid ride.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I really don't know why lap bars on an inverting coaster is a surprise in 2018. Did anyone really expect anything else? Hell the other S&S in the US for 2019 inverts with lapbars as well.
https://rcdb.com/16607.htm - OTSR on a model that runs just fine without them (and the other 2 in the SW/Busch family also have them)
https://rcdb.com/16588.htm - OTSR on a ride in a park with another coaster from the same manufacture without them...

So it's still a 50/50 shot?

Pear

Strata Poster
OTSR on a ride in a park with another coaster from the same manufacture without them...
Yeah I guess Premier is a bit of an outlier, but there is a reason for this. Apparently FT's seatbelts are a pain operation wise and they're trying out the comfort collars to see if they would be more efficient.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Honestly that video makes me a bit more excited for it! Even through the last few elements it really books it, I like how it snaps in and out of the top gun stall like that.

I largely agree with what @Antinos said above, this is going to come down to build quality to make or break this ride. I haven’t ridden an IML-fabricated coaster I found badly made in the slightest yet so I have hope. It has a good layout, it just has to handle it well. And it only takes a wheel gap to turn passable to good fabrication into a rattle mess...

Peet

Giga Poster
(Takes deep breath) I agree with ATI, this has me much more interested than Copperhead Strike or any other US coaster currently under construction. CS will doubtless be a great coaster, but it's a bit safe, whereas Steel Curtain looks pretty nuts.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^OK now that is awesome. Definitely best new US coaster of 2019.
Maybe not the best coaster for me, but certainly the most impressive. I mean, it's a hypercoaster with nine inversions. At 67 meters, it's approximately as tall and fast as Superman at SFNE, but it goes upside down a lot too. Sure, it's likely that Copperhead Strike will be the more finely crafted ride, possibly a better ride experience, but the sheer scale of Steel Curtain surpasses everything built in the US since Fury 325 or so. It brings back pleasant memories from back when certain chains seemed to be building 50-meter multi-loopers in every park every year. It is a rare instance of a park daring to build a big coaster again without making it a classic hypercoaster.

I'm not sure if it will deliver the best ride experience out there (it all hinges on manufacturing, from a company whose record isn't entirely spotless), but I can say for sure that walking up to that thing, and ascending its lift hill, will feel pretty damn sensational in a way Copperhead Strike can't possibly match.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yeah like don't you remember the Smiler's construction when there was snow? Work stopped for literally a matter of weeks I seem to recall; at least progress is being made here!
That was Gerstlauer though. Their track doesn't fit together when it arrives on site.

This is S&S. Their track needs replacing after a year because it's been so shoehorned together.

;)

I jest, though. I don't really wish to knock any of the engineers or contractors working on this. Science is hard.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
It's slowly growing:-
46760630_297479574226919_5007316969553133568_n.jpg

Photo by Coaster Fans & News.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
That looks to be the base of the lift tower - looks like the connectors for much of the Sea serpent have been installed already. I'll continue to agree to disagree with everybody regarding the supports: it's going to be a neat experience walking under this ride.

jay37415

Mega Poster
Since Kennywood is known for being a park that is amazing at night, I hope they put a nice lighting package on it.