What's new

Japan PTR - Part 9: Monkey Park and Higashiyama Zoo

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^^ I go to most parks alone, so I'm used to that and it doesn't really affect how I view places.

Yeah, the exchange rate with the pound is crap, but I get paid/think in Hong Kong dollars, so it doesn't make a big difference. It obviously just makes more sense to convert to pounds in here.

To get it in perspective, Universal Studios, with the exact same catchment area, is only £6 more expensive, and Nagashima Spaland is around a tenner cheaper.

Last edited:

nadroJ

CF Legend
How do they get away with charging that though?

Well...I guess they don't considering how empty the place is! But why don't they have a rethink and reprice things to match it to the product? With the castle and the high street it felt like quite a nice little bustle of tourism so seems ludicrous not to try and do anything about it.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Only had one go on everything at Greenland, so I'm intrigued about that wristband rule now.

The tumbledown Togo loopscrew is one of those I want to try just to find out if they're THAT bad.

Unfortunately not that bad. More fun than your average Vekoma one becase it contains a couple of funky hills. Togo are yet to cause me any sufferance.

How do they get away with charging that though?

Because they chuck in zoo entry that we don't want and the staff/park see the rides as secondary to the zoo.
Price would be fine if they offered an entrance and ride ticket only.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I honestly think that the wristband thing was because of the special offer. They had the regular priceboards up, but big, temporary "2,000 Yen" posters all over the windows. Everyone was just handing over exactly 2,000 and walking away with a wristband, so I did the same. It was 99% school trips, so one ride on each thing was more than enough since there's so much at the park and they all had to leave by around 2:30 anyway.

You're right with Himeji valuing the zoo over the rides, but £25/$30 for admission only is still over the top considering the zoo is not even very big; it's totally out of line with what other places in Japan charge for a basic admission, including much bigger zoos. In the summer, it also includes the waterpark, so it starts to look more reasonable, but when that's closed for the season they should really rethink their prices. Having an empty park on a warm, sunny Sunday afternoon isn't good, and their ridiculous pricing will have a lot to do with that.

Next part then, which is going to again sound a bit whiny, but only because of crappy weather rather than the parks, which were actually quite nice.

The next day was going to be a toss-up between Universal and a bit of cred whoring, and since the weather was looking a bit miserable, I decided to leave Universal until the day after. It was definitely the right decision, but there was definite cred anxiety a bit later.

Misaki Park

This place was quite far south of the city, past the airport, and took about an hour and 20 minutes to get to if I remember correctly. There was nothing making me think I really needed to get there, but it was a +3 and seems to get skipped by a lot of people who do the Osaka parks.

Like a lot of these places, it had its own station, so was easy to get to. It’s more of a zoo with a small amusement park attached than anything else.

DSC03087_zpsjotpoibv.jpg

DSC03088_zpsfq9gyjkd.jpg

DSC03089_zpsncwx32zk.jpg

There’s a dolphin show, which I wasn’t interested in, and an outdoor pool/water park in the summer. I just paid the basic entrance fee and paid for the three coasters separately. I was there right at opening and was the only customer in the whole place for a while. I saw one couple looking around the zoo as I was leaving, and that was it.

The first coaster was this weird wild mouse thing.

DSC03091_zpstrmii1v0.jpg

It reminded me of something similar at Seoul Land: a wild mouse type layout with overly-large track for what it actually is.

DSC03092_zpsxwdwchtq.jpg

DSC03094_zpszanlbvbq.jpg

DSC03099_zpsmvpvdxvw.jpg

Meh. Next to it was this kiddy coaster.

DSC03096_zpsauwxjq5d.jpg

DSC03097_zpseuacsppn.jpg

DSC03098_zpsco0teijs.jpg

DSC03101_zpsxpk8rvng.jpg

Another meh.

The third coaster was in a slightly different area up a hill. It’s the second-oldest coaster in Japan, 4 years younger than the one at Hanayashiki.

DSC03103_zpsa6bsmn1y.jpg

DSC03105_zpspzovuae7.jpg

DSC03106_zpssbu90tmn.jpg

It was actually quite fab, not because it was very good, but because it had nice location on the hill, in the forest and overlooking the sea.

DSC03108_zpsn5vpjipz.jpg

DSC03109_zpsngqruqfw.jpg

DSC03110_zpsmczfkkl5.jpg

DSC03112_zps6ojmec2o.jpg

DSC03113_zps7aqyzbnz.jpg

After that, I had a quick look around the zoo, which wasn’t very extensive, and left.

DSC03120_zpstdfkv43r.jpg

DSC03124_zpss6qfpffd.jpg

DSC03131_zps062ajtx4.jpg

DSC03137_zpsfy9gdcxe.jpg

DSC03142_zps8oyzuv7q.jpg

DSC03144_zpsvrh4chz7.jpg

I think I was only in the place for about an hour. I could’ve been out of there in half that, but since it had taken a while to get there, and I had another 2-hours travel to get to the next place, I thought I should at least have a bit of a look around.

It was pleasant enough, but opening time on a Monday with crappy weather was never going to give it much of an atmosphere. A weekend in the summer, with the pool open, and I imagine it’s actually quite a nice place to spend the afternoon.

Whatever, it was a +3.

The next place was about half an hour outside central Osaka, but in the complete opposite direction of Misaki Park, so it took close to 2 hours to get there.

Hirakata Park

Again, this place had its own station, so was easy to find. It was more substantial, in terms of rides, than the last place, but when I tried to by an all-inclusive pass, the ticket bint showed me some piece of paper with a bad translation that said that rides would close if it rained. It was spitting a little by this point , so I just bought the basic entrance ticket and hoped for the best.

DSC03148_zpsuirrxxor.jpg

I rather stupidly just grabbed each coaster as I got to it, rather than taking the safe option of doing the best first, so I ended up doing Fantastic Coaster Rowdy, a boring Meisho piece of crap which was neither fantastic nor rowdy.

DSC03153_zps5ilclngu.jpg

DSC03150_zpsjx0xp8no.jpg

Next up was the very white Red Falcon, a substantial looking jet coaster style thing which, like most of these, actually do f**k all.

DSC03155_zps0kqeyfxr.jpg

DSC03160_zpsx3r8eddp.jpg

DSC03161_zpskrwkjxuu.jpg

DSC03162_zpsyhsusppn.jpg

DSC03163_zpschihwd18.jpg

DSC03165_zpsxrqnrglj.jpg

DSC03171_zpse6m7emh9.jpg

DSC03173_zpssm7zkh3m.jpg

Next up was a s**ty Reverchon spinner.

DSC03157_zpsylwh6f8s.jpg

DSC03169_zpsixwvld9i.jpg

And a kiddy coaster right next to it.

DSC03172_zpsqy5ajyxr.jpg

DSC03175_zpsrokm8xds.jpg

It was while I was on the kiddy coaster that I realised I had been a total f**king idiot with this place since I still had Elf, the woodie, to go. I hadn’t heard it running, the rain was getting a bit heavier and it was clear they were getting ready to shut stuff down.

DSC03179_zpsgl396veh.jpg

DSC03180_zps81gm0fg9.jpg

I was resigned to the fact that I’d f**ked up and wouldn’t be riding it, but then a train was sent out with an entire two people on it, so I grabbed a ticket – luckily at this place, they had ticket machines at the entrance to pretty much everything, so there was no faff trying to find one - and headed in.

DSC03181_zpsrwctfmbt.jpg

DSC03182_zps1zcmxq2r.jpg

Very, very lucky timing. I had the train to myself, and it really started pissing down mid ride. Once it got back to the station, the solo ride op had already put a sign out front and closed it.

It was pretty good. It’s the smallest of any of the Japanese woodies, both currently operating and defunct, but was the best I’ve done I think in that it was actually very rideable and didn’t rupture any internal organs. I’ve done all of the four currently operating Japanese woodies now. Always good to get some kind of collection, but spiteful Aska/Nara Dreamland closing down means I don’t have every Japanese woodie that ever operated.

I did the Ferris wheel since it was there, I didn’t really want to leave so soon and everything else was shut.

DSC03187_zpshbntkw4b.jpg

DSC03188_zps1afbe4xz.jpg

DSC03191_zps9ndgjyjo.jpg

DSC03190_zpsa8nhqoft.jpg

DSC03192_zpsdi4aq37e.jpg

DSC03197_zpstixd4zxy.jpg

DSC03199_zpszycnbjwp.jpg

After that, I sat in the park’s McDonald’s for about 45 minutes, hoping the rain might ease off and I could get a reride on Elf, but it became clear that that wasn’t going to happen. It was totally pissing down and obviously wasn’t stopping, so I just left.

Obviously, I didn’t have the best time there, but I quite liked Hirakata Park. It was smaller than I thought it was going to be, but it was pretty nice and they had a lot of stuff squeezed into the space, including a log flume, rapids and drop tower.

Instead of going straight back to the hotel – it was only about half two – I went down to the Namba/Dotonbori area, bought a cheap umbrella and then walked back up from there to kill a bit of time.

DSC03203_zpstta3ltv3.jpg

DSC03205_zpsgobghydy.jpg

DSC03206_zpshqdojkv2.jpg

DSC03208_zpsh1xvg5qa.jpg

DSC03209_zpsrnpqpbnd.jpg

DSC03211_zpsraiadhts.jpg

The Don Quixote malls have become experts in f**king up rides at their outlets. The Tokyo branch has an SBNO Intamin half pipe sitting on the roof which has never opened and can’t be removed, and this one has this Ferris wheel circling the building which hasn’t run for years.

DSC03212_zpsleofdedl.jpg

DSC03213_zpsovieovu6.jpg

DSC03214_zpsgie3zmmz.jpg

DSC03218_zpsp7no7cdi.jpg

DSC03220_zps4xowmj45.jpg

So yeah, not the best day because of the s**ty weather, but it was literally the only day of the whole trip where the weather was anything less than perfect and I still managed to get the +8. None of these coasters were ever going to be more than a bit of an add to the count, so I was pleasantly surprised with Elf, and glad that I’d used the crap day to mop those up. I wasn’t on any strict/tight schedule in Osaka, so it was easy to switch stuff around, and switching out Universal for the next day was definitely a good decision; I would’ve been pissed off if I’d been there in that weather.

Next up, clearly, is Universal Studios.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I love Red Pandas! Noah fence to Japan but their woodies don't look very good. Can't think of anything else to say but I'm counting the seconds to the Universal report!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Their woodies are all basically s**te, and they're also all from Intamin.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
It feels like Japan got their woodies from the right manufacturer but a decade too early x)
Elf looks somewhat decent though.

Looking forward to your opinion on Flying Dinosaur!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
This is probably going to be a long one. The s**ty weather of the previous day was over, not that it would have made a difference since it was my last day in Osaka, so I would have gone anyway, but knocking off the +1s the day before had definitely been the right thing to do. See?

DSC03223_zpsrxrfqcen.jpg

Universal Studios Japan

I’d been here before, and loved it, but that must’ve been about 10 years ago. I’d forgotten just how close to the city centre it was. It only took me half an hour from leaving my hotel, including the 10-minute walk to the station.

This all looked extremely familiar since last time.

DSC03226_zpsbx9pdjke.jpg

But not so much that other thing in the background.

DSC03228_zpsrubqlewb.jpg

I’d been in two minds whether or not to buy one of the 348 different combinations of fast passes, but decided against it, figuring that if it came to the worst, and it was packed, I’d still at least be able to get any new stuff done. I needn’t have worried; the place was busy – enough to create a fab atmosphere – but definitely not even approaching crowded.

I headed straight to the Harry Potter area first, expecting to grab a timed pass for later, but they weren’t doing that at all. It was just open entry for the whole day. It’s a copy and paste from Orlando, so it was all very familiar, but the way you get in is better, with this forested path leading to an outside area which feels very separate from the main park, unlike in Orlando.

DSC03231_zpswrojqvje.jpg

Once you’re in though, it’s basically identical.

DSC03233_zpsqr0qtney.jpg

DSC03235_zps8w9ha7qd.jpg

DSC03236_zpsddr1zgxk.jpg

It looked like Forbidden Journey had a massive queue, stretching right the way through Hogsmeade, but it was only because they hadn’t opened it yet. It only turned out to be about 15 minutes.

DSC03240_zpsnkvuiqq0.jpg

DSC03241_zpsyuirev4t.jpg

DSC03245_zpsxc2hnar5.jpg

DSC03246_zps1mopu13g.jpg

DSC03251_zpsopqpegcn.jpg

I’d ridden it a bunch of times in Orlando and loved it, but this version had the edge taken off slightly for me because of the 3D. Apart from improving that “magic” swirly bit at the beginning and end, it’s totally unnecessary and actually detracts from the physical sets. For example, the dementors section seemed quite a lot darker - I mean physically darker, not in terms of atmosphere - probably because of the glasses, so didn’t seem quite as detailed or impressive, though no doubt it was actually exactly the same. Hopefully, they’ll do what California did and scrap the 3D.

Flight of the Hippogriff had a 20-minute queue, so I grabbed it, thinking that it would be much longer later in the day. Shouldn’t have bothered since it was walk on later.

DSC03256_zpsgzvx30wj.jpg

Forbidden Journey here has a Castle walkthrough “attraction” which basically takes you through the queueline if you want to see inside, but don’t want to ride. I guess it’s a nice idea for Potter fans who don’t like rides, kids that are too small, or dithering old people. There wasn’t a queue for it anyway, and I wasn’t entirely sure what it was, so gave it a go.

DSC03264_zpsv3tbcil3.jpg

DSC03271_zpssaapt5yi.jpg

DSC03280_zpsnpmmi4oz.jpg

DSC03272_zpsgy8tkpxr.jpg

More pictures of the area, because I’m sure nobody knows what it looks like.

DSC03289_zps1xsneftq.jpg

DSC03294_zpsbfq9cjbz.jpg

DSC03295_zpswcclk7yj.jpg

DSC03297_zpsbfadbchc.jpg

DSC03301_zps7bzrwwam.jpg

DSC03306_zpsuaocwt8f.jpg

DSC03310_zps68hasiko.jpg

DSC03313_zpsyip15xlg.jpg

From there, I bypassed the Amity area and went to Jurassic Park for the major new coaster there, Flying Dinosaur.

DSC03317_zpsffyvt5d5.jpg

DSC03320_zpsgqjatpjl.jpg

DSC03325_zpsoadkwfgq.jpg

DSC03329_zpsvjdgtern.jpg

DSC03334_zps7gwjvwrp.jpg

DSC03335_zpsa7w5h8f4.jpg

After hearing about 3-hour lines for this thing, I was pretty chuffed to see this:

DSC03344_zpshggz3k0x.jpg

They were lying though. The single rider queue was walk-on, and the regular queue looked to be about 20 minutes. This massive overestimation was a common theme for the day. Only one ride, which I’ll get to later, was even close to being accurate. Everything else was overstated by at least twice the actual waiting time.

Using single rider, I got front row on my first ride, back row on my second, and another front row later in the day. This was all entirely by chance as there’s zero opportunity for seat selections even if you’re not using single rider, so I got pretty lucky with it.

DSC03347_zpsplv1fsvi.jpg

DSC03349_zps2zkjpocz.jpg

DSC03350_zpswcxhnaqg.jpg

Thoughts then. I loved it. Well, for a flyer at least. I did five rides on it over the course of the day. It IS very intense in one section – whatever the hell the inversion is before the pretzel loop, followed immediately by the pretzel loop – but the rest of it was fine. In terms of intensity, it basically feels like riding two pretzel loops back-to-back, and it’s not particularly pleasant, but I’d rather have them shoved together than spaced apart really. This overtook Sky Scrapper to become my favourite flyer.

DSC03365_zpsg3p7foqn.jpg

DSC03368_zps244uzdpb.jpg

DSC03371_zpszoy0adtq.jpg

Jurassic Park: The Ride wasn’t using their single-rider queue, so I had to wait 10 minutes in the regular one, walking on for a reride later in the day. I love this ride, and was pretty gutted that I’d missed it in Florida while it was down for a refurb since it means I don’t have the full collection. It bothers me.

DSC03505_zps4skmal3w.jpg

Jaws was up next, another walk-on with single rider. This is the only version of the ride I’ve ever done - my first time in Florida was when it was new and was having massive downtime issues, and it had gone by the time I got back there. I love it though. No cameras/photos on the ride itself, which they’re pretty anal about.

DSC03364_zpsbkrmwyfa.jpg

DSC03353_zpszmasplfu.jpg

DSC03356_zpskug9p1ej.jpg

DSC03357_zps5jvbdjpv.jpg

DSC03360_zpst2i5vjbq.jpg

DSC03361_zpsdiaoedbw.jpg

DSC03362_zpsovydh4tr.jpg

Waterworld is in the same area and was about to start. I think I skipped it in California, and definitely skipped it on my second visit to Singapore, so it had been a while since I’d seen it. A strange choice of IP considering the film flopped and a large percentage of park guests would never have seen it, but it works as a standalone show regardless.

DSC03378_zps2ng4wwau.jpg

DSC03379_zpsxwxnzxlm.jpg

DSC03386_zpsvvyghduf.jpg

DSC03391_zpsocpgcqxz.jpg

I headed back towards the entrance for Hollywood Dream, bypassing the kiddy area, which I never went back to. There’s a kiddy cred in there somewhere, but I already had it.

DSC03393_zpstio9hv1v.jpg

DSC03394_zpsnkjksiwl.jpg

DSC03396_zpsbjiaxoju.jpg

Since I’d been before, they’ve added “Backdrop”, which is just a backwards-facing train. Single Rider is only an option for the forwards train, but there’s realistically no reason why they couldn’t have put people on the backwards trains as well, which frequently had empty seats.

DSC03403_zpsiulyzean.jpg

Again, the listed waiting times were way off. I used the single rider first, and waited around 5 minutes, then decided to suck up the regular queue for the backwards option, and was on in 20.

DSC03410_zps9a1j1lfc.jpg

I’d really enjoyed this on my last visit, but hadn’t ridden any other B&M hypers (yes, yes, technically not a hyper. Whatever), so had nothing to compare it to. This time, I realised that it’s a bit s**t. I’d still put it above that thing at Carowinds though. The backwards option is a massive improvement and is actually quite fab.

DSC03399_zpszvxsj9mw.jpg

DSC03402_zpscyuliifq.jpg

DSC03405_zpsyrvrk49a.jpg

DSC03406_zpsk5orkblj.jpg

DSC03424_zpsuc8gc3e4.jpg

DSC03408_zpscxwybu69.jpg

The whole area to the left of the main entrance had been given over to something called “The Real”. No idea. Some computer game thing? The usual Shrek/Sesame Street 4D had been temporarily replaced with two different films, one Godzilla type thing and one pretty gruesome one with weird giant things ripping people apart. They were both s**te and felt really cheap.

DSC03411_zpshtse4s1y.jpg

There was some other temporary film thing, which was again s**te, and an escape room thing that I didn’t try since it needed reservations and they were all gone.

DSC03420_zps8ddzpw8u.jpg

DSC03423_zpsa89mzuci.jpg

This was, apparently, some walkthrough thing, but I skipped it based on the relatively long lines and the fact that the other temporary stuff had been a pile of gash up until that point.

DSC03427_zpsdclhhgzi.jpg

Most annoying was this:

DSC03429_zpsm1qtxzrk.jpg

Space Fantasy had crappy, non-optional VR on it. It’s only temporary, but I was pissed off because I’ve always been interested to try the ride properly. Obviously, I’ve now got the cred, but I don’t feel like I’ve properly done Space Fantasy. With single-rider, I waited about 15 minutes. They were running it as well as they could do I guess – the trains never stop in the station and they were getting people fitted out with the headsets very efficiently - but because of the VR, only half of the seats, the forward facing ones, were being used, effectively halving the capacity. F**king stupid decision.

DSC03435_zpsz1wcnmsu.jpg

DSC03437_zpsiekwysrj.jpg

I get the idea of having this stuff to perhaps bring in repeat visitors, or give regular guests something new -and it was pretty popular - but it was all just very cheap and tacky.

Getting away from all that s**te then.

DSC03440_zpsk4aw6z8l.jpg

DSC03443_zpsojtkukcq.jpg

DSC03449_zps6eqfo2rv.jpg

DSC03452_zpsfwq68ssx.jpg

Spiderman is obviously fab, and was another single-rider walk-on.

DSC03445_zpsuhubwtqc.jpg

DSC03444_zpsrutnuqxx.jpg

DSC03454_zpspxjpwn9e.jpg

DSC03457_zpso8v0idub.jpg

DSC03459_zpsl3c05l7p.jpg

Looking back over the lake:

DSC03462_zpsqto8nmmm.jpg

DSC03464_zpsbwhzwztm.jpg

DSC03466_zpsszqcgbfo.jpg

DSC03465_zpsy48wj8pn.jpg

DSC03470_zps0tqejn4n.jpg

DSC03472_zpso0of9lqf.jpg

Back to the Future had been holding on here for much longer than the two American parks, but the whole area has now become “Minion Park” with the ride being rethemed as Minion Mayhem rather than The Simpsons as it has at the other parks.

DSC03460_zpsjnkpbivw.jpg

DSC03473_zpsq7oo2mn4.jpg

DSC03475_zpsbhobkawb.jpg

DSC03477_zps25qcsrg8.jpg

It’s exactly the same film as the American Minion Mayhem attractions, but works better I think because it’s using the huge Back to the Future ride system and screens. The preshows are a f**king burden though. There are three of them, and they don’t flow well at all. We were left standing around for a couple of minutes each time after they had finished and before moving on. The whole thing is new though, so maybe they’ll iron that out.

DSC03478_zpsszoxr7bs.jpg

This was the only ride with accurate waiting times posted. The signs said an hour, and including the preshows came pretty close. I almost didn’t bother, but I’d been walking onto everything all day and it was still early, so sucked it up.

DSC03487_zpsnqmrqals.jpg

DSC03488_zpsn44tcw9j.jpg

Another hanger-on here is Backdraft. The final room is still very impressive, but the first two are a total ballache to stand through. I can see this disappearing soon. It didn’t seem particularly popular (though it’s difficult to tell on a quiet day I guess), it must cost a s**tload to run, and who even knows what the film is anymore?

DSC03495_zpsz2sf6pis.jpg

From most of the park, Hogwarts is hidden until you enter the area, but there’s a very clear view from this side of the lake.

DSC03497_zps8lu4pbaa.jpg

I did some rerides on both rides in the Jurassic Park area before heading back to Harry Potter.

DSC03502_zpstqdywlcf.jpg

DSC03504_zpshjzrik1k.jpg

DSC03510_zpsx8xztjkf.jpg

Forbidden Journey was now posted at 10 minutes, but in reality was a walk-on, as was Hippogriff.

DSC03515_zpsv0fubtfl.jpg

DSC03529_zpscwxlijkl.jpg

DSC03532_zpsau16bwmr.jpg

DSC03533_zpsf0xuhu8c.jpg

I hadn’t bothered with the Olivanders Buy Our Tat “attraction” in Florida, but gave it a go here. The guy doing it was very good, delivering it in English and Japanese, but I thought it was a bit s**t to be honest.

DSC03538_zpsgcepkjfx.jpg

By now it was getting dark. They had cordoned off most of the area in front of Hogwarts Castle, but the ride was still open. It turns out they were doing a preview of the new projection thing, which officially opened a couple of days later, but it was for annual pass holders and press I think. They had loads of staff getting us mere peasants out of the area. I went in and out a few times – as I said, the ride was still open right until park closing – and tried to hang around, but they were having none of it. I even tried getting a spot in the empty Olivanders queue, which had a fab view, but was met with “for Olivander attraction only sowwy” from some little Hitler, even though Olivanders was closed by that point. I played the dumb foreigner first, then the indignant, belligerent “Why? There’s nobody here?” card, but he looked as if he might start crying as he repeatedly said “No. Sowwy. No.” so I just sacked it off.

They would have been MUCH better off just closing down the whole area half an hour earlier, checking passes at the entrance to Hogsmeade, rather than having the by this point empty ride still open and people still milling around, who they had to constantly chase down and kick out. It really wasn’t thought through at all I don’t think. I wasn’t bothered at not seeing the show – though it would have been a nice little bonus – but was getting annoyed by the piss-poor organisation of it.

DSC03542_zpsm31upf5b.jpg

DSC03549_zpsoobnrnye.jpg

DSC03550_zps8evy9kn4.jpg

DSC03562_zpsfzuqodbg.jpg

DSC03567_zpsk6xziwaj.jpg

DSC03571_zpscr333oji.jpg

DSC03572_zpsrcjkzdqr.jpg

DSC03574_zpsq9nd8lxf.jpg

DSC03587_zps9dc2cte6.jpg

DSC03589_zpsf0pbbjas.jpg

I walked the long way around to the exit on the way out, having the place mostly to myself and bagging what turned out to be the last ride on Spiderman on the way past.

DSC03593_zps4f3gjxoj.jpg

DSC03598_zpso4xiycx8.jpg

DSC03601_zps4qidpff7.jpg

DSC03603_zpsoflely55.jpg

DSC03604_zpsbhgeavsw.jpg

DSC03607_zpsrdujcsfc.jpg

DSC03609_zpsi26tijvv.jpg

DSC03610_zpsvklkmmqb.jpg

DSC03614_zpsavvimtmo.jpg

DSC03624_zpsaiiisfed.jpg

Yeah, I know I ended with a bit of a whinge about the way the Potter preview thing had been handled, but I had a fab day here. I’d already loved the park on my first visit, and the addition of Wizarding World and Flying Dinosaur has elevated it massively. The light crowds and single rider lines on Flying Dinosaur, Jaws, Evangelion (Space Fantasy), Spiderman and Hollywood Dream meant I got a lot more done than I’d expected to, plus rerides on loads of stuff, even though I skipped the kiddy area completely and didn’t bother with that Monsters show or Terminator 2:3D, the first one through choice and the second one more because of mistiming and no sense of urgency to hurry back around to it.

If you’re taking single Universal parks, then this one is easily the best of the bunch, though obviously you kind of have to take Florida’s two as a package and, together, they’re clearly stronger.

Next up: bitching and moaning about Legoland.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
You didn't miss anything with the projection show, it was a stupid hassle and rather pathetic.
I feel the same with Space Fantasy - wanted to see what the fuss was about but ended up with VR **** on a non spinning coaster.

Other than that, brilliant place.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah, like I said I wasn't bothered in the slightest about the show since I knew it was still a few days off opening, but they just could have handled the whole preview a lot better, in a way that wouldn't confuse/piss off guests who had no idea what was going on.

They must've had over twenty staff members ushering people out of the area as they left Forbidden Journey or Hippogriff, who then had to try and explain over and over what was going on and why people couldn't stay. They would have been so much better off either having the preview event slightly later, or closing the whole land 30 minutes earlier. They would have saved themselves so much hassle and would have avoided pissing off customers.

I honestly don't know how it's going to work given the numbers of people the park gets and the fact that the area in front of the castle is actually pretty small. I'm assuming it's going to have to be on some kind of reservation/first-come-first-served basis and a lot of people are going to be left disappointed.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
It runs about 4 times a night for a whole 5 minutes each.
They just use the machines in 'Central Park' that give out timestamp ticket entry during the hours the show is running.
The timestamps arent really tied in with the show times, so you can end up having to run for it.
The main forest pathway gets closed off and they send you down a side path.
If you don't have the ticket, they give out a map from the forest entrance to tell you where the machines are.

Smooth.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Ugh Everything about Hollywood Dream looks so fab - I want it to be good! I've heard a lot of nightmare queueing/overcrowding stories about this park, but I guess it's all about when you visit. Hogwarts castle looks amazing at night with the windows lit up!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ It is good, but quite weak when placed against the others of the same type. It still has more airtime than anything in the UK.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Lovely report :) This park looks amazing with superb scenery. And since last year they've got this super intense Flyer too. Going from Himeji to this in the space of a few days is quite a journey, really.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yep, Himeji to Universal is quite the juxtaposition. If you liked that, you'll enjoy this next part.

The original plan was try and squeeze a bit of culture into this trip by leaving Osaka early in the morning, spending the day in Kyoto, then heading on to Nagoya in the evening. Pretty much at the last minute I decided against that though. There’s quite a bit in Kyoto I want to do, and I’d rather go back and spend a couple of days there than rush around for a day and have to worry about luggage and stuff. Instead, I just went straight through to Nagoya, giving myself a bit more time there, with the potential of an extra park.

I was going to leave my bags in a locker and head straight to a park, but it was impossible to find an empty one. I ended up sacking that off after trawling around three different locker locations and not having any luck, and just walked to my hotel and back to ditch the bags.

DSC03626_zpsr84janek.jpg

DSC03628_zpsb8hcltws.jpg

DSC03627_zpsmtydned4.jpg

DSC03630_zpspyzfj4c9.jpg

DSC03631_zpsjkl8e7le.jpg

Legoland had been a “maybe” up until this point since I’m not a fan of them, but I had extra time now, so headed there. It had only been open for a couple of weeks as well, so I had a bit of an urge to be first to get there.

Legoland

You know you’ve found the correct train line at Nagoya Station, which is huge, when you see these stairs:

DSC03633_zpsxgajqaga.jpg

It was an easy, direct train. You can see the park as soon as you get off and onto the platform.

DSC03634_zpsxrygmgts.jpg

This whole shopping/dining area leading up the park seemed very new.

DSC03636_zpsgkefvyei.jpg

Sea Life Centre on the way. Stupid idea considering there’s a massive aquarium just down the road, which will no doubt be cheaper.

DSC03638_zpske5uz1u8.jpg

Merlin already being c**ts with their bag inspections and list of rules.

DSC03639_zps2yhceoih.jpg

At a whole £5 cheaper than Universal Studios the day before, this place was clearly a bargain.

DSC03640_zpshbuihh0g.jpg

DSC03641_zpsbkcf8miq.jpg

DSC03642_zpsllmjalxl.jpg

DSC03644_zpslg5gbubq.jpg

DSC03647_zpsnhpdbkw4.jpg

DSC03649_zpsdmo9o3xg.jpg

DSC03651_zpsooh144qi.jpg

The observation tower wasn’t open. I don’t know if it just wasn’t ready, was down for some reason or it was because it was really windy.

DSC03648_zps8s0xtwdd.jpg

There are two coasters here, Dragon and Dragon’s Apprentice, which were pretty much identical to those at another fairly new Legoland in Malaysia, though I seem to remember a pre-lift drop out of the dark ride section in Malaysia, which this one didn’t have.

I actually quite like Dragon. The dark ride section isn’t bad at all and it’s a fairly substantial coaster for what is, essentially, a kiddy park.

DSC03654_zpsjosz5miv.jpg

DSC03655_zpsmqv3h71h.jpg

DSC03656_zps5rpqtkx7.jpg

DSC03657_zps4dr2hcea.jpg

Dragon’s Apprentice is a tiny kiddy coaster right in front of Dragon.

DSC03659_zps9v62xbpb.jpg

DSC03660_zpsfsyfdpth.jpg

DSC03662_zpsjlm8cxpe.jpg

DSC03664_zps1xr64eyi.jpg

DSC03666_zpspltyj0cr.jpg

All very familiar:

DSC03667_zpslohvuvwf.jpg

DSC03671_zpscwugwqav.jpg

DSC03672_zpsqo1cvwgi.jpg

The Lego City area was pleasant enough. You’ll notice the distinct lack of crowds, but this was around lunchtime on a Wednesday.

DSC03674_zpskjlr9ack.jpg

DSC03678_zpsypilg5sk.jpg

DSC03679_zps1qiohlra.jpg

DSC03680_zpsabxjfb7q.jpg

DSC03686_zpsnaltb6cx.jpg

DSC03688_zps37c7nxfx.jpg

DSC03689_zps4xtaw5p1.jpg

DSC03690_zpso3hddwfy.jpg

The 4D cinema looked nice from the outside, a Lego version of Hollywood’s Chinese Theatre.

DSC03694_zpssaezaale.jpg

The inside though. Christ, the inside.

DSC03696_zpsez5aurgo.jpg

They had signs around the place instructing people not to take pictures, and it’s clear why. This is a f**king embarrassment for a park which prices itself in the same category as Universal. I remember the Malaysia and Florida parks being almost as bad.

DSC03697_zpsdjev6cs9.jpg

They were showing that Lego Movie thing where someone builds a knockoff “Brick World”. Ironically, Brick World looks a thousand times better than any Lego Park.

DSC03702_zps65l8plsm.jpg

DSC03704_zpsifkqzb1r.jpg

DSC03705_zpsehywmldn.jpg

DSC03706_zpsvnir5bbi.jpg

DSC03707_zpsovwiadxf.jpg

DSC03710_zpszv9r5mok.jpg

DSC03717_zpsxsw2uh72.jpg

This was, by far, the best thing here:

DSC03718_zpsbnn4q1gl.jpg

It’s quite short, and there’s nothing in it that you can’t see at any half-arsed aquarium, but I really enjoyed it.

DSC03720_zpsbnkwmtn7.jpg

DSC03726_zpsa7f9k7rl.jpg

DSC03732_zpsclgxo2xl.jpg

DSC03733_zpsotvihn3k.jpg

DSC03735_zpshdhutld3.jpg

No thanks.

DSC03742_zpsvhgxpxku.jpg

Whatever this was, it wasn’t ready. I know, imagine Merlin not having something ready for park opening.

DSC03743_zps83qinpvv.jpg

DSC03747_zpssm3uaofc.jpg

Miniland then. It was all Japan, including Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya, Himeji, and Sapporo amongst others.

DSC03752_zpsmmjyqr4v.jpg

DSC03754_zpscpwojuzc.jpg

DSC03762_zps7bcoaxkw.jpg

DSC03765_zpsznqpr7zq.jpg

DSC03767_zpsj0b20zcl.jpg

DSC03769_zpswqevd98p.jpg

DSC03773_zpscutvo3vx.jpg

DSC03774_zpsfs6erixm.jpg

DSC03775_zpsnfplxrns.jpg

DSC03776_zpsenx1oe4m.jpg

DSC03778_zpsgawypoek.jpg

DSC03779_zpsgy4kqoxx.jpg

DSC03782_zpsekor7zk6.jpg

I’d already seen that twisty building near my hotel, but otherwise knew nothing about Nagoya. Miniland was quite useful in that regard since I looked some of this stuff up.

DSC03759_zpsn9xdygp0.jpg

DSC03756_zpsbsaaaluw.jpg

DSC03783_zpszn3jeihs.jpg

DSC03786_zpsdexur1ta.jpg

Typical crappy Legoland “show” before a reride on Dragon and f**king off.

DSC03788_zps3utizj9n.jpg

DSC03797_zpssymyywol.jpg

I don’t think I need to give any final thoughts. I despise these places. I’m not stupid; I know that I’m not the target market, so the kids’ style of attraction isn’t the problem; it’s the fact that they offer such a cheap, tacky, low-quality, off-the-shelf product and have the nerve to charge such ridiculous prices for it, deluding themselves into thinking they’re playing in the same league as Disney and Universal. No. Choke on a bag of dicks.

There was a kiddy +1 not too far away, which definitely wasn’t on the cards, but I had time and the park was right next to the port, meaning that there was stuff to actually have a look at.

Sea Train Land

DSC03814_zpso5thzk5d.jpg

The Ferris wheel was down because of the high winds. I didn’t do the shooter since it’s a clone of a piece of crap I’ve done a few times now, or the 4D theatre because no.

DSC03815_zpsgnqd7wzg.jpg

DSC03816_zps5ldu3nna.jpg

+1

DSC03817_zpswgnmz5k6.jpg

DSC03818_zpsbhtvnujm.jpg

DSC03821_zps00yqrb0x.jpg

DSC03823_zpsiy2hdrv5.jpg

It was right next to Nagoya Aquarium, which is one of only two places in Japan to hold orcas. I’m not going to support that barbarity unless there’s a cred involved, then I’d cast the nets out myself.

DSC03828_zps31kpedyj.jpg

DSC03830_zps3iky9axs.jpg

I recognised this from Legoland.

DSC03835_zpsqbqnhwtn.jpg

DSC03826_zpsucm1yu10.jpg

The whole area was nice, but totally dead, making it a bit creepy really. I got the metro to somewhere roughly central and walked back to my hotel from there, the intention being of seeing a bit of the city.

DSC03839_zps4epaajkd.jpg

This was also in Miniland, some pond on a roof.

DSC03840_zpsmqcgtb25.jpg

DSC03844_zps5ju6itmq.jpg

DSC03846_zpskomn8tga.jpg

DSC03852_zpswvkvxvtw.jpg

DSC03854_zps0dxmi3bo.jpg

DSC03859_zpsytstmfyy.jpg

DSC03860_zps2c70irgp.jpg

DSC03863_zps3p0kclme.jpg

I’d seen posters everywhere for The Little Mermaid musical, which I’d always wanted to see. It didn’t really do too well in the USA, but the Japanese have really taken to it. I thought the website I found must have incorrect information. There’s no way that a huge show would only run at 13:30 on weekdays, so I went to the theatre, which was roughly on the way back to the hotel anyway, to find out.

DSC03872_zpsjjnpp2wr.jpg

Fugly, but temporary and built specifically for the show, so whatever.

And yes, in Japan’s infinite wisdom, a large-scale, Broadway-style show only runs at 13:30 during the week, when their entire possible audience is at work or school, with an extra, “late” show on Saturdays at 17:30. F**king moronic.

So yeah, I didn’t see it since it would’ve meant missing out on parks, which wasn’t going to happen.

In conclusion, f**k Legoland and f**k whichever moron decided that every other country on the f**king planet is wrong to put on shows in the evenings when people can actually f**king go.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Nice to read an angry report from you Gavin. Feels like a while since we've had a true vent. ;)

They do sound **** to be fair though.
It was right next to Nagoya Aquarium, which is one of only two places in Japan to hold orcas. I’m not going to support that barbarity unless there’s a cred involved, then I’d cast the nets out myself.
Dunno what I'm quoting this for, other than to appreciate the statement. :p

Gazza

Giga Poster
To me that Legoland looks a bit better than the others. Less garish, and more buildings that actually look like they are made out of lego bricks, rather than the regular bland type buildings seen at the other ones. There also seems to be more lego sculptures, and they look less slapped in...probably because the background buildings match better.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
I'm done putting up with Legolands now, so ignored the opportunity for this one.
You make it sound so good that I regret that decision.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^^ Yeah, it was actually really pleasant. It's not so much the place itself I had an issue with - it's the best of the ones I've done - but where Merlin are trying to place themselves in the market. One major attraction at a Disney or Universal park would have a similar, or higher, price tag than a whole Legoland park, and they're trying to sell themselves as equals.

^ I'm done with them now I think. Denmark looks slightly more interesting, but these copy and paste new parks are unlikely to see any more money from me.

I say that now anyway.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Nagashima Spa Land

After Universal, this was the second revisited park of the trip. I’d done this place on the same visit as my first Universal trip, so, as with that, it had been about ten years since I’d been. I’d done it as a day trip from Osaka before though, taking about two hours each way, and hadn’t spent any time in Nagoya at all. Needless to say, it’s much quicker from Nagoya: a twenty-minute train ride followed by a 15-minute bus.

This is what greets you at the bus station/car park.

DSC03878_zpsw4dcrq3g.jpg

DSC03881_zpsgawavnvk.jpg

DSC03882_zpsilxdbvxi.jpg

I headed straight for Arashi first since it’s the newest coaster there and I figured the capacity would be quite low. That turned out to be a good choice since it went down quite shortly after and didn’t reopen for the rest of the time I was there.

DSC03890_zpsa7o3gk7y.jpg

DSC03892_zpsrt3zw5kj.jpg

DSC03893_zpsracdv2za.jpg

I really wanted to get back on Steel Dragon 2000, but there was another new cred to get first.

DSC03897_zpsqomj1zjq.jpg

DSC03905_zpsnfvbof86.jpg

Acrobat was new last year, and is a clone of Manta. Unlike everything else at the park, they’ve actually shown a bit of care into what it looks like, and the area it’s in looks great.

DSC03898_zps7wjidbju.jpg

DSC03902_zpsutmlbhpn.jpg

DSC03903_zpsobhi1fth.jpg

DSC03904_zpsjp2nw1go.jpg

Predictably, operations weren’t great, but the park was quiet. They were only running one train, and were really slow getting it out. On my first ride, I must’ve waited about 20 minutes – obviously fine – but it was potentially a 5-minute queue.

DSC03907_zpsxilsqyew.jpg

DSC03912_zpswuearjv8.jpg

DSC03913_zpsptc09ule.jpg

DSC03915_zpsifni81cm.jpg

DSC03920_zpsv3zbxfiz.jpg

DSC03921_zpsjxlmrnjz.jpg

By the time I’d got out of the area – was probably there close to an hour thinking about it – Arashi was down. It was annoying since I wanted to get at least another ride in and form a proper opinion of it since it’s the only one of these I’ve done yet. It was fun though, much better than Intamin’s version at any rate.

DSC03924_zps3chsaiem.jpg

The Togo Ultra Twister had been down on my first visit, so this would have been a new cred for me. Since I was last there, it’s been relocated to the opposite side of the park and had a new paint job.

DSC03917_zpsyrzqvbhg.jpg

The f**king thing was closed again though. The whole path leading up to the queue line was roped off, not just the ride entrance itself. Read into that what you will, but I don’t think it’s long for this Earth.

DSC03926_zpskx6jfevi.jpg

Gutted. At least I finally managed to ride one of those things at Greenland though, and this is the exact same model.

So, I’d got the two major new coasters since I was there last – one more to come later that I was in no rush for – and the Togo was down, so there was only one thing for it: Steel Dragon 2000.

DSC03928_zpspzdyiz6z.jpg

DSC03936_zpshaxjo3j8.jpg

DSC04002_zpsnklcdcmj.jpg

DSC04077_zpsonztobzj.jpg

Bunch of writing coming up:

They were running two trains on this, but were still pretty slow getting them out. I’ll moan more about the operations a bit later. I think my first ride took me about 40-minutes to get on. Fine really, but inefficiency still bothers me.

I was sort of “worried” about reriding this. I’ve always had it way up on my list of best coasters, but it was ten years since I’d done it, and I’d ridden a lot since then; maybe it wasn’t actually as good as I’d remembered, or made it out to be.

Luckily, there was no need to worry. If anything, it was better than I remembered. I don’t think the newer B&M trains affected the amount of airtime, but it felt stronger than before thanks to the restraints I think, and the fact that they’re so open definitely heightens the whole thing.

There was a sign out front saying that there was “maintenance” on the ride at 2pm. I took this to very possibly mean it wouldn’t reopen, so wanted to get a few more rides in. You can pay about £3.50 at the ride exit for a one-time fast pass, so I did that a couple of times to get rerides. This is where I noticed the bulls**t operations.

As usual in Japan, it’s assigned seating. There’s no single-rider option, which would obviously be a nice bonus, but they didn’t even bother using single riders to fill empty seats; they’d put them by themselves in a new row, so you might get a group of three - with an empty seat - and a single rider in their own row somewhere else on the train. Retarded.

With the fast pass thing, you used the exit, they’d count how many people were waiting there (just a handful each time) and fill up from the back. All good so far. Another bloke by himself got assigned the back row, the row in front of that was assigned to a couple, and then I was assigned to the one in front of them. “F**k that,” I thought, leaving my stuff in the locker and going to the empty seat in the back row.

The confused ride op was panicking because that wasn’t “my” row, trying to stop me sitting in it even though there was an empty seat there, the guy there didn’t mind (so what if he did?), and I was doing them a favour my freeing up the row I’d been assigned to. I was having none of their shenanigans this time though, not in the mood for that f**kwittery at all, especially after paying extra. I just feigned stupidity, sat in the back row anyway, immediately pulled the restraint down (nobody in Japan does that until they’re told) and stared silently ahead until they just got the f**k on with it. Not today.

Sorry, pictures coming up. White Cyclone had a 45-minute queue, so I decided to wait it out, already having the cred and knowing that the park was likely to empty out shortly after once the school trips had left.

DSC03930_zpsmbscoxrx.jpg

The Ferris wheel had no line though, so you can have some pictures from there.

DSC03941_zpsxgiw6jbf.jpg

DSC03943_zpsug1980ju.jpg

DSC03947_zps6nbzqonk.jpg

DSC03949_zps3erlniyu.jpg

DSC03950_zpsklynm8ed.jpg

DSC03951_zpsuklrheup.jpg

DSC03952_zps6ofogisp.jpg

DSC03958_zpsfqh3mtr9.jpg

DSC03962_zpseyoer5wa.jpg

DSC03964_zpsifvlirmv.jpg

Sorry for the rather repetitive pictures of White Cyclone, but they’re uploaded now, so you’re getting them. There’s no denying it’s a gorgeous-looking thing.

DSC03965_zps2jvtxe9c.jpg

DSC03966_zpsecljt6z7.jpg

DSC03967_zpsr0kit8qc.jpg

DSC03970_zpskruippfv.jpg

DSC03971_zpsdszhr2oz.jpg

DSC03976_zps7ecxkqud.jpg

DSC03979_zpscvqgkfdz.jpg

I didn’t do the regular, small frisbee. Not a fan.

DSC03986_zps4ymqwqzt.jpg

I had both sides of the mouse from my last visit, and rerode the one side that was open this time.

DSC03987_zpswgpzffkk.jpg

I did the Huss giant frisbee at some point later, but the 1st-gen Intamin drop tower was down. I’d done it on my first visit though, and had done the one at Himeji a few days before, so no massive loss though I do like these.

DSC03932_zpsgjr1biy3.jpg

DSC03934_zpsufxi9nwp.jpg

The Schwarzkopf Looping Star was down, but they managed to get it open right before I was leaving.

DSC03990_zpswguh9h4m.jpg

DSC04018_zpsdckafubr.jpg

The Arrow Corkscrew had also been relocated since my last visit.

DSC03995_zpsfakio9j2.jpg

DSC03998_zps6tndmli2.jpg

If you’re on a school trip to a park with loads of coasters, and you know you have to leave at 2pm, what do you do at 1:30? Stand in a 20-minute line for lunch of course. F**kwits.

DSC03991_zpslozrqyj7.jpg

As predicted, the park emptied out dead on 2pm as the school groups left. I remember this being the case last time I was here, and as it had been with Greenland a few days before. That’s one good thing about Japanese inflexibility I guess; if you’re in a park full of kids in uniforms, you know they’ll all f**k off at 2pm on the dot.

The Shuttle Loop was walk on, so I had a couple of rides on that.

DSC04013_zpsxjscssnj.jpg

DSC04015_zpsdwy1k8sa.jpg

I headed back to White Cyclone, which was also now a walk-on. I didn’t really enjoy it last time, and I figured that it was probably a s**tload worse since then, but it wasn’t really. It was still awful, but no worse than I’d remembered it. This could have been down to me making sure that I pulled myself forward away from the back of the seat though, preparing for the worst.

DSC04023_zps95w0w23n.jpg

This powered kiddy thing was the only other +1 I needed. I’d actually forgotten about it until I was walking past.

DSC04026_zpskoaghdo2.jpg

DSC04028_zpsw4ownx4z.jpg

I didn’t bother with the other kiddy cred since I had it already.

DSC04031_zpsdfmuvcl8.jpg

DSC04032_zpscbn5bn7w.jpg

I gave the Togo Jet Coaster thing another go though. This is the only area of the park, apart from Acrobat, that actually looks quite nice.

DSC04036_zpsqrglvvgs.jpg

DSC04040_zpswlphhxvt.jpg

DSC04042_zps65xciw9c.jpg

DSC04043_zpsritokbgj.jpg

DSC04045_zpssv4g3ank.jpg

“Maintenance” on Steel Dragon seemed to mean taking a train off once the kids had all f**ked off.

DSC04047_zps7jlt21a5.jpg

DSC04066_zpshrdmy2vy.jpg

The queue for it hovered around the 15-minute mark, so I got 3 more rides in before I left. They give you these baskets to put loose articles in. Even if you don’t have loose articles, you still need to take a loose article basket because you have to read the information on the bottom of them about no loose articles.

DSC04074_zpsrbdjsyrx.jpg

All of the coasters have lockers rather than bins on the station platforms, which is a bit of a faff considering there’s zero chance of anyone stealing anything, but better than having them outside the ride I guess.

I didn’t bother with the bobcarts this time. These use to be on the far edge of the park, but now it’s extended back a bit with Acrobat and the relocated, spiteful ultra twister.

DSC04069_zpsxikkk7y2.jpg

I did a couple more rides on Acrobat, now a walk-on.

DSC04051_zpseoxoxkuh.jpg

DSC04052_zps5lhiuxjn.jpg

DSC04053_zpsg0yvbnf0.jpg

DSC04055_zpsxisqykrk.jpg

DSC04057_zps3mlrtc4c.jpg

DSC04059_zpsyjtqvqxj.jpg

DSC04061_zpsrfebuu7u.jpg

DSC04062_zpsywypijys.jpg

I could have whored a bit more, but decided to head out at around 4. Looping Star had just been opened. A strange decision at that time of the day really, but not at all shocking. I would have preferred Arashi to have been sorted, but I'm guessing whatever was wrong with it wasn't easily fixable.

DSC04081_zpsm8mbebde.jpg

Some pictures of Steel Dragon while I was waiting for the bus.

DSC04082_zpsevleou2p.jpg

DSC04090_zpsdda3lywf.jpg

DSC04104_zpsezlk3ex9.jpg

DSC04105_zpsnqpvzrrj.jpg

DSC04106_zpsyvw62n9h.jpg

It was good day really. Yeah, the operations were crap, but I was expecting that and it was definitely better than a lot of Chinese parks. It was quiet enough not to worry about though; I’d hate to be here on a busy day, which must happen considering it hits close to 6 million people a year. I guess those figures could include people at the water park and spa, not just the amusement park, though.

Acrobat is a great addition to an already big line-up. Manta has one of the better flyer layouts, so it was good that they went with that over a Superman clone. Arashi is a nice filler coaster which has made good use of a tiny bit of space which would otherwise be empty.

The highlight though, by far, is still Steel Dragon 2000. It’s amazing. The height is obviously really intimidating, especially if you’re sitting on the open, left side on the hill. The lift is a chain rather than a cable, so you get plenty of time to s**t yourself on the way up. The first drop is excellent, despite not being steep, and the helixy bit at the halfway point is really intense. The bunny hills on the return to the station are the best bits, though. Unlike on the smaller models, the block brake doesn’t grab too strongly (it more or less stops the train on Wild Thing), so you’re still at a really decent speed when you hit those hills. There’s so much airtime on all of them; it’s up there with my all-time favourite coaster sections.

A few more smaller parks to finish up with later.