What's new

Is it a cred? - A general discussion topic

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I know we've had many individual topics over the years about various flat rides or coasters counting as credz or not, but I don't think we've ever had a general topic about them so here goes...
Rather than bringing up the usual Alpine coasters, Nautic Jets, playground Ridge Riders (viewtopic.php?f=29&t=38300) or the recently discussed Cloud Coaster by Extreme Engineering (viewtopic.php?f=29&t=39543), I'll start off with these:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw-89JNoBI0[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGLBQdeCUaQ[/youtube]

Mind Blaster attractions by Italian manufacturer EOS Rides are just like miniature Intamin half pipes (except the seats tilt), but they're not on RCDB or Coaster-Count (even though Ridge Rides are :? ). So why aren't they counted and would you do so if you rode one?
The seats on these can also face outwards, which is something I wish Intamin would do with their half pipes.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I rode Mind Blaster at the Central Florida Fair (Orlando City fair) a few years ago... It hasn't been back since (maybe the Cal ride is the same one, relocated). It didn't seem coaster-y to me.. Although I had no issue counting the Intamin half pipe I rode. Uh, and I'd not count a Disk'o. Nautic Jets is something I've also ridden... but not counted. I don't think I would *count* them if they were added to C-C or RCDB.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
How is it made to move?

Half Pipes = coasters since they're launched by LSMs at the base of the track and "coast" up and down the spikes. If you include Intamin Impulse coasters, and I'm assuming everyone does, then they're essentially the same thing.

Discos = not coasters since they're powered the whole way along the track. Even powered coasters coast to some extent, so I don't think you could even make an argument for them in that category.

If the thing above is powered by some sort of kicker wheel at the base of the track, thus "coasting" up and down the spikes, I'd possibly count it since it's close-ish to what a half-pipe does. If that's the case, it's almost like those Chinese Wave Shuttle things, which are included on every coaster site. I'd have to ride it though and go with how it instinctively feels.

If it's powered, like a Disco, then I wouldn't count it.

Coaster-Count would likely include them as "undefined" if someone e-mailed them and made a case for them. If they don't know about them, they can't add them. Are there any permanent ones at parks, rather than just traveling rides? That would make it easier to get them added.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
^Nope.

Clones: Each a cred
Relocations: 1 cred
Retheme: Same cred
New trains: Same cred
Retrack(same/very similar layout): Same Cred
Retrack(very different layout, i.e. RMC): New cred

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Sorry for double post, but I just found this thing:

6fPj0LH.jpg

WfsQW7j.jpg

rkKuZnx.jpg

gWde4TN.jpg

It looks like a Zamperla Airforce-type thing. It runs on a track, but it's powered, all cars are attached, and there's no change in height.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Nope.

Apart from running on rails, there's nothing else to suggest a roller coaster. They have one at Lotte World, and when you see it running, it's very obvious that not even the worst cred whore could try and claim it as a coaster.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
On the "is it a new cred/separate cred" topic, like namtaB, Jeremy from roller coaster philosophy was explaining to me a way of defining whether a renovation is a new cred when we hung out at Magic Mountain and queueing for Colossus... I may be butchering and simplifying his idea here, but for him to consider it a new coaster it has to tick 2 or more of these 3 criteria.

- made with a majority of different materials to original
- a different layout
- a different location

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
If its actually a different layout, then yeah. Though I think Jeremy said it should be on percentages, but working that out would be absurd. If Hulk has a different layout then I'd say its new, but by different layout I mean OBVIOUSLY so and not just a slight change to account for different trains.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I'd probably count Hulk as a new one regardless to be honest. Replacing the entire coaster isn't the same as a bit of retracking. If you count clones, you should probably count an entirely replaced coaster.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Since Hulk was/is fully being replaced... I'd have no issue in counting it as a new coaster.
Changs move to Great Adventure... same coaster, new home... not a credit.
Hulk completely destroyed and replaced with a 'clone'... new credit.

Some of the NJ Pier parks have done this sort of thing too, replacing a Wacky Worm with an identical but new model. +1 <3

TilenB

Strata Poster
I have a couple of possible contenders;

First one is the enlarged butterfly coasters that travel Spain and France. I have ridden one on a Carnival fair in Santa Cruz, Tenerife in 2010 and I do count it as a coaster, since it has proper trains, tracks and isn't self operated like butterflies are. Your thoughts?

baden21.jpg

498.jpg

5699.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wflMYIRJPjA[/youtube]

The second one is the little thing I've found a couple of months ago in some small Austrian park (I've also posted it in the Weird, Wacky, etc. topic). Urzeitwald Park is the name of the place if anybody wants to do some further research.

img_1460-jpg.576325

1156339127.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-tvdk4QmCg[/youtube]

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
I'd count them both as coasters. The enlarged butterfly is just a powered shuttle coaster and there's absolutely no reason for the lower one not to be.