What's new

Intricks construction and release area

Xpress

Strata Poster
You're still off with the top of the tophat.

Here is a photo of one, looking pretty much head on. They're kind of pointed at the top, but for the most part they're rounded.

tophat1.jpg

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Not that there's any problem with Xpress' picture, but how about looking at a real one too?

http://www.rcdb.com/3081.htm?p=13913

Yours is still very sharp at the top. It's much better than it was, but still not quite right I'm afraid. Keep working on it, you'll get it eventually! :p

Intricks

Strata Poster
I tweaked it a bit more and got this:
silenthillracetofreedom.png

That looks most like the image posted by both of you, and whenever I used the smooth feature, it made it more pointed, so I'm not sure whats wrong with it...also, did a bit more, and showing the landscaping as well. A few more elements and it will come to an end.

Landscape:
silenthillracetofreedom.png

General side view of what has been done so far:
generaloverviewofsilent.png

Xpress

Strata Poster
You really should try to use more segments. The reason the tophat is pointing when you hit Ctrl G is because of the low segments count- there isn't enough control points to hold the shape. Normally I try to space my segments out evenly. Also it looks like you're not using lead-ins and lead-outs.

Lead-ins and outs are basically what make rides smooth, so instead of being slammed from 1g to 4g in an instant, it gradually eases the force from 1g to 4g over a very short period of time. There is generally 2 types of lead's. The first is transitions between forces. Coming off your launch, you are going to slam riders with instant force, so if you add a segment in close to the launch, and lower it, you will create a lead-in. Ctrl G it to smooth it.

The next is banking lead's, which give you smooth banking transitions.

It's all part of the learning process. FWIW, I'd look into using 2-3 segments for your 90* banking transition on your tophat, spaced evenly. To make things smooth easier, select a segment and press I on your keyboard to make the segment straight.

Now highlight the previous and after segments along with the straightened segment, then press Ctrl G. What the I does is makes the control handles an even length in the segment, which makes it easier to smooth, from the simple shapes, to the complex shapes. You could call it iSmooth ;)

A

Anonymous

Xpress said:
To make things smooth easier, select a segment and press I on your keyboard to make the segment straight.

Now highlight the previous and after segments along with the straightened segment, then press Ctrl G. What the I does is makes the control handles an even length in the segment, which makes it easier to smooth, from the simple shapes, to the complex shapes. You could call it iSmooth ;)
Wonder who taught you that?? :p

But yeah, use this together with many more segments will give you a lot more control of the track, especially if you use the built-in smoothing...

Xpress

Strata Poster
Well it definitely wasn't you, if that's what you were implying... :p

Actually, the person you probably got it from showed me one time, although I've never put it into practice until you brought it back up not too long ago. I think the main reason was because of V1.5 which didn't have the built in auto smoother, so I'd have to run the track through the construction kit smoother 50-60 times just to smooth one track, was rather a big pain... Then after that I ever thought to use it, probably because I had forgotten about it.

Intricks

Strata Poster
So I came to a grinding halt with Silent Hill and have basically drawn a giant blank on how to finish it and how to properly fix the top-hat without deleting everything past it (which is what it's coming down to at this point). Basically, I'm halting work on that project until i get a better understanding of the game itself and then will revise and redo a lot of the track work on that to make it better.

In other news, I've made a Junior Euro-Fighter called Mini-Thriller. Horrible name, but I'm unimaginative and didn't put too much effort in naming this. Here is the general layout, just gotta tweak the tracking some more to smooth it out better and support this.

overviewofminithriller.png

sideviewofminithriller.png

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
I like the idea of this! It's nice a compact, layout seems pretty cool. Will be interesting to see how it rides.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Alright, update for this little beast lol. Had to make some slight changes (was pulling odd G's at random spots and seemed to literally pulse on the one turn around into the wall ride). Also started to do custom supports (and i do mean custom, custom supports). I've no idea if any of these supports would be structurally safe, so please give feedback on this.

Lift hill and first inversion (the actual name just completely escaped me now...####ing blond moments ><)

minithriller11060521591.png

The Wall-ride

minithriller11060522222.png

I actually have some more supporting done, but I will wait til I'm further along before posting another picture.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's looking alright. It's a completely new design for the Eurofighters, which could be interesting.

Structurally? I'm not entirely sure from that one picture you posted. Probably will have to take a closer look in the sim.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Here is Mini-Thriller, my compact Eurofighter for small spaces. I changed the coloring and didn't finish the station cause my computer literally couldn't handle it....sigh >< Anywho, here are the pics and a download link. Tell me what you think! I'm debating on if I should stick with smaller layouts for a bit cause this actually gave me a general idea on how to do lead in and keep a track smoother.

minithriller11061021282.png

minithriller11061021280.png

minithriller11061021273.png

minithriller11061021272.png

EDIT: Dumbass me forgot the download link lol, here it is:

Mini-Thriller

Intricks

Strata Poster
O,o....i dragged the trackfile into mediafire....will fix this when i get home ><

Edit: Computer didnt save the link and kept the picture link....crap ><

Edit 2: Fixed

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
I liked the concept, but I don't think it worked out. The track work wasn't very good, and the lift hill speed was far too fast as there was a nasty red G-spike as it crested the lift.

That said, it definitely has potential, you just need to work on your track building skills :)

Intricks

Strata Poster
This I know. I still think it was a fun exercise for me cause I'm used to using next to nothing for nodes. I know about that nasty red spike, but that was unfortunately the only way I could get it to go through the loop without it coming to a near dead stop (i think it went at like, 8mph if I had the lift at a slower speed). Can you elaborate on the track work comment a bit? Like, where do you suggest needs more work done?

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Making it smoother, use the 'iSmooth' trick that Loefet suggests.

Making your transitions more comfortable, they'd certainly break bones in real life.

Just general practice and you'll get there :)

Intricks

Strata Poster
Ive tried the iSmooth method and im thinking im doing that wrong. I have a couple more designs being made atm, just need to post an big update

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Intricks

Strata Poster
OK! Sorry for the double post but here is an update. I have two coasters to present to you! One is an Intamin Accelerator that I have called Sun Burst. I have completed the layout, just tweaking it to the best of my abilities to make it completely smooth and whatnot. You get launched at 60mph into a turn around before going into an airtime hill. This repeats itself two more times, with each time going lower than the last, kinda like a tier. After the final turn around, you go up into a highly banked turn, down a drop and up a small hill with a bit of a pop for airtime and right into the brake run.

intilaunch1106181955150.png

General Overview
intilaunch1106181955570.png

Going into the lowest turn around
intilaunch1106181956270.png

Highly Banked turn going into the brake run

My second coaster is a W.I.P that I call Kraken's Revenge (no affiliation to Kraken at Seaworld Orlando). This is a coaster I made in RCT3 about 3 or 4 years ago that was the greatest coaster I had ever built in that game. As luck would have it, my game crashed and had wiped it from its memory. I still have the general layout in my head, so I'm re-building it and making it better (imo). This is a B&M Floorless of custom design. It is planned to have up to 8 inversions, all of which will be hand done, not grabbed from the pre-made ones. The first three you will see are the Jojo-roll going into a half loop right out of the station, followed by the loop and Half-loop+corkscrew combo. Afterwards will be a barrel roll, followed by a diving loop, half cobra-roll and two corkscrews. Here is what I have done so far:

srevenge110618193600000.png

Going out of the station and into the half Jojo roll.
srevenge110618193618001.png

The brief and short helix going into a break run before the lift hill
srevenge110618193647002.png

Lift hill with swooping dive into the Loop and Half Cobra Roll followed by a quick turn that will wrap around one side of the loop.

Tell me what you think!