What's new

Intamin Unveils Four New Concepts

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Unless KD's free spin isn't actually going to be a free spin, I don't think this is the case considering that exact same green track was up in Hayden, ID when I was there last month.
Not sure what you're on about, but after the first two in Texas and New Jersey RMC outsourced the track manufacturing to another company in Idaho. Sorry, I forgot the name, but it isn't InterMountain (who make most of S&S track now days).

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Interesting. The track ends were definitely getting faced and fitted in the fab shop, numerous pieces were running through paint, and another grouping was getting loaded onto a flatbed. Maybe they outsource the raw fabrication and then take care of the finishing processes in house or maybe they were able to bring everything under their roof for this project since the pandemic pushed back so many of their projects.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I don't think there is anything particular wrong with the vertical LSM coaster. I mean it looks like a Skywarp Eclipse, but this has completely different track profiling and elements, and will likely be a much better and more intense experience. I don't think Intamin making a launch coaster of this style is a knock-off since other manufacturers besides Premier have made similar rides, such as S&S, so it only made sense Intamin would offer one. It looks to combine an Eclipse, a Half Pipe, and SRII and a Maurer Skyloop all in one, so I would say there is at least some originality here. Not to mention it will also have the Taron restraints (as shown on the animation), meaning it will likely be a lot more comfortable than similar rides, including Sandy's Blasting Bronco. Although I can't see it being possible to add a second train due to the station fly-by which might prevent space for a turntable or switch track.

Last edited:

therealcoatman

Roller Poster
Need I remind you all of this:

Rip off concepts don't necessarily come to fruition, even if it's better than the original.

Was this completely canceled or has it just not been bought? If it was completely canceled, I wouldn't be surprised if they revisited it in the future with the single rail track design...

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Interesting. The track ends were definitely getting faced and fitted in the fab shop, numerous pieces were running through paint, and another grouping was getting loaded onto a flatbed. Maybe they outsource the raw fabrication and then take care of the finishing processes in house or maybe they were able to bring everything under their roof for this project since the pandemic pushed back so many of their projects.
Unfortunately, RMC have very little on their plate right now, so that doesn't surprise me. However, I was in Hayden when the subcontractors were there getting trained (if that's the right word) on the track manufacturing. So my info is first hand, but I don't know if that was just the raw fabrication or not.

Was this completely canceled or has it just not been bought? If it was completely canceled, I wouldn't be surprised if they revisited it in the future with the single rail track design...
It's still part of their portfolio, but obviously no one has purchased one. Why pay Intamin's high price on a prototype, when you can get the proven original (or a variation thereof) from S&S for much less?

As far as the single rail track design, you have to keep in mind that RMC owns the patent in the U.S. and Europe. Fred pursued it in Asia, but gave up due to difficulty and cost. I wouldn't be surprised if Intamin designed the single rail coasters specifically for sale in Asia, where RMC has no interest.
What these videos show me is that Intamin is in the same boat as the rest of the industry - total slowdown with too much time on their hands.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I like what I see. If anything, it's cool to see Intamin offer a variety of models, even if they're very similar to other manufacture's models.

And as others have pointed out, all this "copying each other's homework" isn't new here. We've seen the similarities between Intamin and S&S free spins, and Intamin and Mack launchers. I'm just interested to see if/where any of these end up.

I think the water coasters impress me the most. Yeah, the giga splash is EXACTLY like Pulsar, but I love the aesthetic of the single rail track and how the track is able to support itself. And the ultra splash is essentially an evolution of Intamin's elevator lift water coasters. Those already looked fun enough, but their drops seem pretty lame. Now we have a water ride with an 80 degree drop, and that looks pretty sweet.

With regards to Intamin's take on the Raptor and SRII's, I think the biggest difference maker here will be comfort. Intamin seems to be using their clamshell lap bars as opposed to RMC's shoulder straps. Depending on how they will ride, Intamin's model could end up being less demanding than the Raptors when it comes to comfort/intensity. Same deal with the vertical LSM. My biggest drawback with Premier's SRII is the discomfort in the quick transitions. Despite the layout, if Intamin's model ends up flowing a bit nicer, I could see that being my preferred ride.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I like what I see. If anything, it's cool to see Intamin offer a variety of models, even if they're very similar to other manufacture's models.

And as others have pointed out, all this "copying each other's homework" isn't new here. We've seen the similarities between Intamin and S&S free spins, and Intamin and Mack launchers. I'm just interested to see if/where any of these end up.

I think the water coasters impress me the most. Yeah, the giga splash is EXACTLY like Pulsar, but I love the aesthetic of the single rail track and how the track is able to support itself. And the ultra splash is essentially an evolution of Intamin's elevator lift water coasters. Those already looked fun enough, but their drops seem pretty lame. Now we have a water ride with an 80 degree drop, and that looks pretty sweet.

With regards to Intamin's take on the Raptor and SRII's, I think the biggest difference maker here will be comfort. Intamin seems to be using their clamshell lap bars as opposed to RMC's shoulder straps. Depending on how they will ride, Intamin's model could end up being less demanding than the Raptors when it comes to comfort/intensity. Same deal with the vertical LSM. My biggest drawback with Premier's SRII is the discomfort in the quick transitions. Despite the layout, if Intamin's model ends up flowing a bit nicer, I could see that being my preferred ride.
Sorry to be nitpicky but you got the giga and ultra splash names the wrong way round.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
@CrashCoaster this and the Skywarp Eclipse have completely different elements? Really? I mean half the ride is identical and the other half is the pretty much the same with a twist down one side. I mean there is a big difference in that this has one train and is a traditional coaster so won't be hamstrung by the eclipses crazy long train. But the layouts and elements are pretty must the same.

Now I agree that it would be cool to see some of these built and I'd be excited to ride them but let's not pretend this and the Ultra Splash are anything other than blatent ripoffs/copycat rides.

The thing that gets me is the Ultra Splash doesn't even try to be different. It is identical to the power splash even up to the little tilt at the top of the towers. OK it uses a different track style but GH get crap for using their track style and using other people's layouts so it shouldn't be any different here.

Intamin should be better than that. There are tons of things they could have done to differentiate from Macks but they didn't and that kinda bugs me... A twist on the tower? Even a double up on the hill or for that matter the tower would have done it.

Im ambivalent about the single rails. They at least show a sembelence of creativity and there's some nice layouts. But the use of single rails in this case seems a bit of a gimmick, and attempt to cash in a bit on the furore over the raptors.

I don't know... . I mean I'm sure it makes good business sense to go for similar markets but to go for what are essentially identikit knockoffs? Intamin should really be better than that.

Intamin I'm not angry with you I'm just disappointed.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Could the Ultra Splash be an Intamn proposal for Pulsar that got rejected? It would make more sense for the similarities if that was the case.

It's possible, but I think that Pulsar was very much Walibi Belgium's idea. As in, they knew exactly what they wanted the ride to do, and they pitched the concept to loads of different manufacturers, given how different it was to what was out in the market at the time.

Given this would have been around 2013/2014, I'd be surprised if Intamin had proposed an Ultra Splash as it stands today, especially with the single rail element. Maybe they drew up ideas and Walibi ultimately went with Mack, and Intamin have finally just decided to go with it but modernised it a bit.

Llama Drama

Roller Poster
From a business perspective, Intamin's approach totally makes sense to me.
Yeah, I mean I don't really get the outrage either, especially considering how much influence Intamin has had on what other manufacturers do throughout history. If anything, other manufacturers have borrowed and built upon Intamin's ideas/concepts moreso than the other way around.

All things considered, they've been arguably the most innovative and groundbreaking manufacturer of all time, and still to this day are putting out world-class coaster after world-class coaster. I for one will gladly cut them some slack in this case...

Sure, these particular concepts may be hardly original, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see a lot of them come into fruition regardless. The wheel doesn't always need reinventing.

Anyways...

Intamin meme complete.jpg

Jcoasters

Mega Poster
I don't know why a lot of folks are so concerned about originality in an industry about sending a train around a track. There's only so much you can do. I guess every single element and coaster has to be original? Well, this new ride has a 31 degree offbank incline loop, no one else has that! Now we're original.

• If Intamin popularizes the Single row single rail coaster, it's no different than B&M popularizing the wing coaster :)

After all: Mack invented the single rail coaster and the first steel coaster, Matterhorn Bobsleds, sits riders in a single row!

• Giga Splash: Does no one remember Perilous Plunge? That thing was awesome! Oooh noo, so they added an airtime hill and are now ripping off Mack!

• Ultra Splash: Pulsar is pretty unique, and this is very similar, but no different than S&S and the Zac Spin plus all the shuttle coaster over the years

• Vertical LSM Coaster: There's only so many elements you can do with this type of coaster, and the zig zag loop is slightly different than say, the premier one. The rest of the ride is absolutely 100% original, and I'm super excited for the upside-down launch

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Perilous Plunge was a flawed model. The two literally killed people. Intamin has a horrendous track record with large scale water rides.

The issue is they are literal copies of existing rides. Nobody would complain if they came out and showed Skyrush as a single rail, but it's literally their bid for WCR and two uninspired looking layouts.

If Intamin is the best at innovation, they shouldn't be releasing videos that are so uninspired.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Most of my favourite water rides are Intamin ??‍♂️

Chiapas
Valhalla
Tutuki Splash
Speed

And some of my most wanted water rides are Intamin too!!!

Infinity falls
The other 3 EWCs

Kinda looking forward to seeing their newest offerings ??‍♂️