What's new

How is your tolerance of roughness?

rob666

Hyper Poster
Always try to do no hands on a first ride.
Hero at mingoland hurt a bit.
Did the mouse at BPB no handed for the last two seasons.
I like Infusion.
Back seat on Grand National I tend to avoid now though.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I have a relatively low tolerance really.

There's so much good stuff out there these days, I can't get excited for more than the +1 of a rough coaster.

Snoo

The Legend
I have a relatively low tolerance really.

There's so much good stuff out there these days, I can't get excited for more than the +1 of a rough coaster.

This. I can suffer through it if I haven't been on it for the #cred but usually I avoid them whenever possible.

Will

Strata Poster
I think the answer is that it depends on whether the coaster is any good, or if the ride is mental enough to pull it off.
SLCs and the like can do one, but I like rides like The Ultimate, Tornado, Tornado and even Goudirix, because there's more to them than just roughness.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Steel coaster roughness rarely adds anything beneficial to the ride experience (except in a few cases, perhaps)

My tolerance for wooden coaster roughness is much higher, as it fits more with the style of the ride and can really elevate what otherwise might feel like a bit of a tame experience. Though I’ll admit, roughness in straight lines on woodies I’m less of a fan of, and I’d often find any judders/jolts on those with prefabricated track to be more akin to steel coaster roughness, and hence, detracting.

Oliver.D

Roller Poster
puh, had to say. some fairground rides are really on the limit like wild mouse spinning and euro coaster.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Roughest coaster I like is probably Boss. I have much higher tolerance to wooden roughness than I do steel (SLC, Zamperla, ect.), usually I actually like getting the living daylights shaken out of me, it's when ride hardware is actively striking me that I have a problem. Wooden coasters that are too rough for me include SFNE Thunderbolt, Compounce Wildcat, Son of Beast, Predator, Gwazi, and the second half of Zeus. For steel I'm a lot more stingy, anything from a crap ton of headbanging (SFNE Flashback, CW Flight Deck, SFA Apocalypse, SFGAdv Batman), jackhammering (SFNE Mind Eraser, T3), or a horrid rattle (2018 GateKeeper, Diamondback coming out of its hammerhead, Kingda Ka, La Vibora) is certain to get a poor ranking. But with wood, it can do quite a lot of shaking around the layout before I actually find it painful.

I know I'm a huge RMC nut, but most of the wooden coasters I want converted are because their geometry makes for a boring ride, not because they're rough. Boss, Hades 360, TFAP Avalanche, Hershey Wildcat, Cyclops, and to an extent Switchback are all wooden coasters that are commonly considered to be rough that I either enjoyed despite this or didn't even find rough at all.

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
Some Boomerangs are bearable, some are not. Most older woodies just don't hold up for me with all the new rides like Invadr (whose roughness is covered for in intensity). Even Thunderhead at Dollywood... classic and holds up okay, but it just meanders around and makes me think about how rough it is (I wonder how much hate I'll get for that). The worst for me is when you're not expecting it, like on a steel coaster you are thinking will be really smooth.

Kiddy Hawk is just a whole new level though.

Y. Kim

Mega Poster
My Tolerance:High
-Vekoma Boomerang: Okay, but rough
-Vekoma SLC:NO ........
-Meisho camel back coaster:Quite good
-Meisho corkscerw: Just jerky...
-Togo hyper:Good...
-Zamperla flyer:NoNo...
-Almost all woodie:Tolerable(EXCEPT FOR WHITE CYCLONE in Nagashima)
-B&M standup:Just a bit pain but tolerable
-Old Arrow looper: Okay,Good. With Vekoma train, I feel comfy IN ONE CERTAIN COASTER BUT TRACK IS BAD

Last edited:

Peet

Giga Poster
I love the Nash and usually choose the very back row rather than the much smoother second-to-back row.
I enjoyed Tornado at M&D's.
Stampida is brilliant fun, Baco is fine.
I loved Montezum.
I think SLCs are fun, just too many identical copies around.

Yep, I'm going to say I have a pretty high tolerance for roughness!

Matt N

CF Legend
I love the Nash and usually choose the very back row rather than the much smoother second-to-back row.
I enjoyed Tornado at M&D's.
Stampida is brilliant fun, Baco is fine.
I loved Montezum.
I think SLCs are fun, just too many identical copies around.

Yep, I'm going to say I have a pretty high tolerance for roughness!
Is there any ride you don't like because of roughness, out of interest?

Peet

Giga Poster
Is there any ride you don't like because of roughness, out of interest?
Not exactly, I suppose there are plenty that I would enjoy a lot more if they were smoother. Formula Rossa springs to mind; it's only rough because it is so incredibly fast, but it is so uncomfortable to ride for the majority of the fairly long circuit that I don't find it all that enjoyable (except for the launch which is phenomenal).

Still, I haven't been on Bandit, and I only went on Goudurix after the track replacement, so there are a few notoriously rough European coasters I don't have on my list!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I think I have a fairly high tolerance when it comes to rough rides. For example, many people claimed that Mine Blower was rough right off the bat but after riding it I realized that it rides like an ordinary wooden coaster.