What's new

How could Derren Brown's Ghost train at Thorpe be improved?

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Obviously, DBGT has had a lot of negative reviews, so what would you do to improve the ride?

Personally, I think that the VR idea on this type of ride does have some potential. and I think the experience itself is actually ok until the end of the first vr sequence - when they hurry you out of the train, when it seems to be still moving, so the only changes I'd make would be:

1- More people on the train - you get on the full train, put the mask on and all of a sudden there are only 3 or 4 people on it
2- have the train stop before they say to leave

For the Inbetween bit - have it more as a walkthough like walibi holland did with the xpress queueline, rather than gathering everyone right around the tunnel - even have it before the full ride.

the second vr section is where the ride falls completely flat - it needs to follow on from the first scene and do away with all the explosions, robotic aliens etc. oh - and no "smoke" that seems to last half an hour..

Any other thoughts?

Lucy

Hyper Poster
I think that in the VR sections where it shows the rest of the train carriage empty, it should have other passengers in it too as having the whole train looking empty seems a bit odd to me (even though I love Ghost Train and think it is very clever). I reckon this tweak would improve it considerably and then the others could react when each character appears and tells you about the gas etc.

TLARides

Hyper Poster
To extend on the "more people" idea, what if there was some device that took a picture of the clothes everyone was wearing and put those same people, in those same spots, in the VR? I've never been on DBGT, but maybe add a thing where is looks like there are people being thrown off the train? And then after the first section, the people who were thrown off aren't there anymore? Be kinda traumatizing to mix that with my other idea.

Great idea! Let's make sure this kid sees his mom get thrown off the train by a large monster!

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
I don't think it's THAT bad. Neat little dark ride from what I've seen.
I'd say this is a ride that you can't judge at all without riding. You cant experience it without VR as there is no ride without the VR film. The VR is also dreadful so yeah I'm in the burn it to the ground camp.

Can you watch the VR sections online at all?

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
To extend on the "more people" idea, what if there was some device that took a picture of the clothes everyone was wearing and put those same people, in those same spots, in the VR? I've never been on DBGT, but maybe add a thing where is looks like there are people being thrown off the train? And then after the first section, the people who were thrown off aren't there anymore? Be kinda traumatizing to mix that with my other idea.

Great idea! Let's make sure this kid sees his mom get thrown off the train by a large monster!

They kind of did that when I first rode it on opening day. They had some actors in the train dressed like someone in the second VR section, but I'm pretty sure said actor wasn't around the second time I was on a couple of weeks later.
I don't know the exact specs of the VR, but I do think it is capable of showing a couple of other linked Headsets. It does have a camera at the front after all...

I'm kind of sitting in the middle with DBGT. I got completely hooked by the marketing hype they were doing, and therefore got blown away at my very first experience (note, I am very easy to impress), but I also can see all its flaws and annoying bits it has. However I wouldn't know what to do to improve the ride right now, maybe it'll be better in the upcoming season?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Honestly, I don't think it can be improved. No amount of tweaking can hide the fact that the entire concept is fundamentally flawed.
Burn it, bomb it, bulldoze it.. whatever, I really don't care.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I expect the update will make it a little better, the worst part is undoubtedly the 2nd VR section, which I believe is the main update.
Will it change enough to save the ride? Not sure, I'm afraid that I've no confidence in Merlin to make the right decisions recently.
The idea to change the live action piece is a decent one, but not sure how to get such a large group through a walkthrough and have everyone experience most jump scares.

dave.thompson5151

Roller Poster
I think that in the VR sections where it shows the rest of the train carriage empty, it should have other passengers in it too as having the whole train looking empty seems a bit odd to me (even though I love Ghost Train and think it is very clever). I reckon this tweak would improve it considerably and then the others could react when each character appears and tells you about the gas etc.
It could improve by simply being open. Twice last year I travelled the 400 miles to Thorpe Park to find the Ghost Train closed on both occasions with no answer given as to when it would open again. Now there's talk of a new story line for this year when I'm sure there's many people like myself who never got to see the first one.

dave.thompson5151

Roller Poster
Honestly, I don't think it can be improved. No amount of tweaking can hide the fact that the entire concept is fundamentally flawed.
Burn it, bomb it, bulldoze it.. whatever, I really don't care.
I'm confused. People in here are talking like the ride actually opened and functioned in the first place. I'm starting to wonder how many more times I have to spend time and money travelling 400 miles to Thorpe park to find the Ghost Train closed every time. Im fed up of people posting spoilers about a ride Im desperate to try but can't get to try as it's never working.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^I feel your pain bruv. It's a 300 mile round trip for me too, and it took 2 attempts for the Ghost Train to be open, and even then it only opened for half a day. But trust me, riding it is just as disappointing as not riding it.
I get it - you're curious, you want to see for yourself what it's all about, but aw man... it's just so bad.

dave.thompson5151

Roller Poster
^I feel your pain bruv. It's a 300 mile round trip for me too, and it took 2 attempts for the Ghost Train to be open, and even then it only opened for half a day. But trust me, riding it is just as disappointing as not riding it.
I get it - you're curious, you want to see for yourself what it's all about, but aw man... it's just so bad.
I've lost interest in trying now to be honest as we've booked up for Portaventura in August to try out Red Force. Screw Stealth!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
A wise move, Sir. Stealth is pretty good to be fair, but compared to a trip to Port Aventura? No contest. Enjoy!

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I might go on it again this year, maybe. It can't be worse than before, well it can, but surely not... right?

Ben

CF Legend
It's better now.

Not great, but much better.

The first VR section is still the best bit IMO though.