What's new

Hollywood Dream or Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit; which of the Universal music coasters do you prefer?

Hollywood Dream or Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. As many of you know, two of Universal’s studio theme parks have roller coasters centred around giving the rider a choice of onboard soundtracks to listen to (I think they are the only rides in the world that let the rider choose their song, correct me if I’m wrong?). Universal Studios Japan has Hollywood Dream: The Ride, while Universal Studios Florida has Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit. On the face of it, they are admittedly quite different; one is a B&M Hyper Coaster, while the other is a Maurer X-Car. One has a set of more traditional parabolic hills, while the other focuses on slightly quirkier elements. However, if you think about it, they are inherently quite similar rides. Both are in a similar sort of size range (heights in the mid-100ft range, lengths in the 3500-4000ft range), and both lack inversions. As I said above, both also offer a choice of onboard soundtrack.

So my question to you today is; which of the Universal music coasters do you prefer? I know that there are quite a few on the forum who have been to both Florida and Japan and could offer an opinion on the matter, so I thought it could be a fun topic to discuss!

As for my own opinion, I’m undecided. I’ve only personally experienced HRRR in Florida (and against the common grain, I do actually rather like it, but that’s a story for another thread!), so I wouldn’t like to make too much of a decision.

But what are your thoughts?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I, sadly, haven't done Hollywood Dream yet, but I think HRRR is trash* so I'm fairly sure I know which one I'll prefer. :p

*Because I know you'll ask - I think it's got rubbish pacing, shaping, flow and the restraints are awful. :)

Bentleya

Mega Poster
I also haven’t done either of them; but I’m 100 confident - a B&M, regardless if it’s weak or not would completely trump a Maurer X-Car.

I did really enjoy Shock at rainbow magicland; but the rerideability of a B&M is nothing to be sniffed at in my opinion.

Last edited:

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Having only done Rockit, I can say that it is one of the *worst* coasters I've ever ridden and its basically across the street from my house but I haven't ridden it in maybe...5 years... and that was *only* because I was with someone who really wanted to ride it for some awful reason.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Yeah, haven't done Dream either, but that's the answer. This is like asking if you prefer Cheetah Hunt or Maverick.

I don't dislike Rip Ride Rockit, but I don't think it's a particularly good coaster either. It's not the smoothest and has lots of pacing issues. That being said, it's always something I'll ride when I'm there though.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Yep. I like what they were going for with both Rockit and Dream, but Dream worked out so much better than Rockit for whatever reason. Rockit doesn't really have any elements that hit, and even though it's a stretch to say this, the only good elements on the ride are the helix through the building and the non inverting loop.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Despite being pretty weak for a B&M, Hollywood Dream is much better than HRRR (although I didn't really mind it), especially backwards.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I have been on both. Rockit is an unreliable big piece of ****. It gets bonus points for being an eye-sore.

Hollywood Dream was not my cup of tea but it was fun listening to J-pop surrounded by Japanese teens screaming their heads off xD

Dream backwards is ace though, the only good backwards ride.

Agreed, yet operations for backwards Dream were APPALLING. For every 3 trains running forwards, 1 ran backwards and that caused some major wait times despite Japanese (not so great) efficiency.

emoo

Hyper Poster
Hollywood Dream has the better lighting on the cars, and is just adorable. Going forwards is ok but the Backdrop makes it fantastic. I'm glad that lasted beyond the initial plan for just 2013.

I really liked Rockit but even without my clam shell fanboyism I'd vote for Dream.