What's new

Helix vs Taron.

Which is bestest?

• Total voters

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Two coasters, both of which are widely regarded as among the best in Europe, some say the world.
One is made by Mack, the other is made by Intamin but both of them have two launches, both are approximately 4400ft long, both have twisty, terrain style layouts, they both have cool, IMAscore soundtracks and they both have similar restraints.
Crucially, they also feature in many members all time top 10, with one or the other frequently occupying the top spot.
Makes you wonder why this poll hasn't been done before doesn't it?

So let's have this out, the definitive head-to-head, the official CF verdict on two of the greatest coasters on earth.
Helix or Taron, which do you prefer and why?

As you can see from my ←profile and my signature ↓ I choose Helix. It's currently my number 1.
I accept that Taron has stronger launches, violent ejector airtime and feels altogether wilder than Helix (especially at night), but I couldn't help feeling that Taron's layout is a tiny bit repetitive. There's a couple of moments where it just meanders a bit, y'know?
Helix mixes it up a bit more. It's got 7 inversions for a start, 6 of which are simply gorgeous. It's got some height to it too, with better views and bigger drops, it's got straight airtime hills as well as twisty ones and - this is an important one - it's got pretty green and white lights on the train that make it look absolutely stunning at night.
It's just... better. Overall, it's a better package, it's less of a hooligan than Taron, more 'grown up', more measured in its delivery.
Yeah. Helix all the way. But I could well be outvoted. We'll see...

DelPiero

Strata Poster
You do talk some bollocks sometimes.

Helix has 2 minor failings, weak assed launches and the heartline roll. Taron has no minor failings. Both are just ok during the day and excel at night.
They are pretty close to each other, at one point I preferred Helix, but Taron is better, by a little bit.

Will

Strata Poster
You'll be outvoted for sure, Howie as CF has basically become the Phantasialand appreciation society in the last 18 months (that's not a huge criticism, it DOES deserve a lot of the praise it gets) but I've made a point to buy you a drink :p

Taron has lots and lots of corners and not a lot else, though there are a few moments of pure joy. Helix is pretty much joy from start to finish. The only place they'd come close in my mind is if somebody asked which was the better looking ride.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Taron. The launches (the second one <3 ), the more violent air time, the theme / setting and the general speed at which it does everything is just truly fab. It's just incredible.

Helix is great and I do love it (it's my number 2), the music and style of the ride is fantastic - and arguably under appreciated by some - and it does flow well. It does have a bit more variety than Taron, sure, but Taron just does what it does perfectly. Plus, if I had one nitpick of Helix, it's that the second half left me feeling the tiniest bit short changed - I can't quite explain why, but it just feels like it needs something else to complete it. It's like after the airtime hill it runs out of ideas.

But yeah, Taron.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Im very much in the team Helix camp. Both are incredible rides and make up my top 2 but i just feel like Helix is the more complete coaster. Im not an inversion guy but the ones on Helix are spot on (bar the heartline roll) and really do well in mixing up the rider experience whereas Taron is very much a lot of the same thing, albeit the same thing is done incredibly well.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Team Taron <3 it's just so FAST. FAST FAST FAST.

Helix is great but it didn't leave me buzzing in the same way Taron did. Also, Klugheim vs. Helix- it just isn't comparable. Klugheim is so utterly immersive and the area around Helix isn't in the same league.

jayjay

Giga Poster
It's a tight call, but I'd give it to Taron. Helix is more floaty and flowy, punctuated by the occasional moment of insane airtime. Every inversion is shaped immaculately for some great floaty hangtime, and I don't even mind the finishing roll. Taron has some lulls too, but better highs. The second launch, followed by the curve up the waterfalls into the exposed open air is a major highlight, and the moments where the train tries violently to rip you from your seat are magical.

Will

Strata Poster
I don't understand the hate the last inversion gets; although you wonder what they were thinking when they came up with it, it's something of a Mack trademark - Blue Fire has one very similar - only time I've ever had to do an awkward mid-air glasses catch on a coaster!
Taron tries much harder to forcibly evict you from the train, but not necessarily in an enjoyable way.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I don't understand the hate the last inversion gets;
I don't hate it. My issue is that Blue Fire's is perfect, it has the right amount of hang and whip through. Helix's doesn't have the whip, and therefore isn't as good. It enters and exits the roll in the wrong place to generate the whip properly.

jayjay

Giga Poster
I think it's because it sits awkwardly out of place with the rhythm of the circuit. The rest is floaty, forceful and twisty, then the finale of the ride is a lumbering roll not unlike Colossus's final rolls. It does have a nice framing of the lit up ferris wheel though.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Helix mate.

I accept that Taron has stronger launches, violent ejector airtime and feels altogether wilder than Helix (especially at night)
Helix has more violent ejector. Taron has never felt wild to me.

There's a couple of moments where it just meanders a bit, y'know?
Yup.

Both are just ok during the day and excel at night.
'just ok' is a bit harsh. Taron is always at least very good and Helix is always amazing.

Taron has no minor failings.
Trims and dodgy pacing.

You'll be outvoted for sure, Howie as CF has basically become the Phantasialand appreciation society in the last 18 months
Ugh.

Taron has lots and lots of corners and not a lot else, though there are a few moments of pure joy. Helix is pretty much joy from start to finish.
Yup.

Also, Klugheim vs. Helix- it just isn't comparable. Klugheim is so utterly immersive and the area around Helix isn't in the same league.
Personally I prefer the 'immersion' of many great rides interwoven into a nice bit of real scenery. There's so much interaction with the other rides and the use of the hill in the pacing of the ride is played out to perfection. I have much more respect for that than putting up some rocks and a multi storey car park around something you've already made. Klugheim mainly immerses me in smoke.
Also Lisebergbanan racing > Raik racing.

My issue is that Blue Fire's is perfect
Blue Fire's is cool, but it gave me a headache after several quick rerides in my weaker days, it hurt rerideability for me.
Helix one just leaves me laughing on the brake run, nothing wrong with it at all.

I could probably go all day.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Team Helix! I absolutely love both. However I love that Helix has such a plethora of elements as well as the great drops, airtime and terrain. To me that is what I think makes Helix slightly better than Taron.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Haven't done Helix yet, so I'm in no position to take the poll, even though Taron is my overall favorite coaster. Helix does look like one of the few coasters in Europe that could dethrone Taron in my books.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Helix mate.

Helix has more violent ejector. Taron has never felt wild to me.

Yup.

'just ok' is a bit harsh. Taron is always at least very good and Helix is always amazing.

Trims and dodgy pacing.

Ugh.

Yup.

Personally I prefer the 'immersion' of many great rides interwoven into a nice bit of real scenery. There's so much interaction with the other rides and the use of the hill in the pacing of the ride is played out to perfection. I have much more respect for that than putting up some rocks and a multi storey car park around something you've already made. Klugheim mainly immerses me in smoke.
Also Lisebergbanan racing > Raik racing.

Blue Fire's is cool, but it gave me a headache after several quick rerides in my weaker days, it hurt rerideability for me.
Helix one just leaves me laughing on the brake run, nothing wrong with it at all.

I could probably go all day.

Fair enough re. klugheim vs hillside- horses for courses! I guess that's what makes our hobby so interesting. I much prefer the 100% immersion of 'you're not in a real place' thing where as at LiseB I was quite aware I was in an amusement park rather than a mythical land. Which kinda loses points for me personally.