What's new

Heide Park Colossos retracking (2019)

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
The scaffolding wall has been majorly extended to completely block the view of the final corner of Colossos so it is no longer visible from anywhere in the park, even from Desert Race, Scream or the Monorail.
9522007d1529130590-2019-neuheit-wiedereroeffnung-colossos-komplettes-retracking-heide-park-neu1.jpg

9522008d1529130771-2019-neuheit-wiedereroeffnung-colossos-komplettes-retracking-heide-park-neu2.jpg

Pictures from CoasterFriends.de user blindsp_t

Robert.W

Roller Poster
It is a bit strange though... exactly what are they doing behind that wall? It's a lot of effort (which Merlin aren't exactly known for doing, let's be honest) to hide the retracking, so there must be something else pretty significant being built.. hmmm...

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
Interesting! The tracks don't look like they're in a terrible state. Anyone speak German!?
Not that much they say really.
Just that they've got the team all working together for this ambitious project and how they're going to replace the track piece by piece (like constructing a model train track).
Though they did mention it's a one of a kind project never done before in the world, which I highly doubt is the case.
Sure other woodies have been retracted completely in one go, if not received even more work (am looking at you, RMC).

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Have they confirmed its a 100% retrack without any changes or could they change the layout? I've drifted through this thread and not paid attention :rolleyes:

Ireeb

Mega Poster
They are changing all tracks and the ledgers below them. The layout will be completely identical. If someone wants it, I can do a translation of the video tomorrow.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Can imagine them putting a Zero G / barrel roll in one of the later air time hill locations but that’s about it.

Not convinced they won’t change ANYTHING I think that’d be pretty dumb given they have the opportunity to make minor adjustments and create a USP for marketing purposes

Ireeb

Mega Poster
Can imagine them putting a Zero G / barrel roll in one of the later air time hill locations but that’s about it.
Not convinced they won’t change ANYTHING I think that’d be pretty dumb given they have the opportunity to make minor adjustments and create a USP for marketing purposes
As I already mentioned, he said in the video that the layout will be 100% identical.

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
They did mention in the video that they're replacing the full track piece by piece, but it is 100% identical without any changes.
Maybe that's why they say it's a one of a kind project?
"The first ever complete retracking of a rollercoaster where we literally change nothing at all because we can!"

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
"The first ever complete retracking of a rollercoaster where we literally change nothing at all because we can!"
Just 'cos it's the first doesn't mean it's good. Please let us not forget they're only having to do this because they didn't take care of their coaster properly.

Also, would this not count: https://rcdb.com/557.htm? Did anything get left behind during that refit?

Last edited:

Ethan

Strata Poster

Don't see it happening tbh. Colossos is an airtime machine and the airtime on the last few bunny hops is actually pretty decent, so I'd imagine the shaping and length of the hills wouldn't accommodate a roll. Intamin Prefabs don't ever invert anyway, do they?

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
Just 'cos it's the first doesn't mean it's good. Please let us not forget they're only having to do this because they didn't take care of their coaster properly.

Also, would this not count: https://rcdb.com/557.htm? Did anything get left behind during that refit?
Keep in mind the infamous Merlin phrasing:
"First ever retracking of a wodden rollercoaster of this scale and size". You can market everything as a "World First" if you get reaaaaaally specific... ;D