What's new

Happy Valley Beijing | Music Roller Coaster | B&M Hyper Coaster

Peet

Giga Poster
Another update from Roller Coaster Dream on Twitter:
Screenshot_20181219-123952.jpg Screenshot_20181219-123838.jpg Screenshot_20181219-124019.jpg
So it's looking like an L-shaped out and back a bit like Silver Star or Mako, but smaller. I am disappointed with that first drop, it levels out a long way above the ground; the max drop height will be 20-30 feet shorter than the max height of the ride, I can't understand why they would do that. At least I'll be less disappointed when I inevitably get spited by this!

Last edited:

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I kind of feel like that this and Hollywood Dream should be considered as B&M mega-lites, and the Gigas considered as B&M Gigas, and not all considered the hyper model.

I think this could be a fun ride.

Lofty

CF Legend
But you're referring to them by their height, and not by the term that the manufacturer uses. I'd go with what the manufacturer uses for the products that they own, produce and sell rather than a rule of thumb of measurement.

Peet

Giga Poster
But you're referring to them by their height, and not by the term that the manufacturer uses. I'd go with what the manufacturer uses for the products that they own, produce and sell rather than a rule of thumb of measurement.
This. The terms "hyper", "giga" and "strata" were invented by Cedar Point as marketing tools for their new rides. There is absolutely no value in categorising rides based on arbitrary height thresholds. Is Leviathan a different category of coaster to Behemoth? No, it's just bigger!

Just as Yukon Striker and Baron are both dive coasters despite being very different sizes, so this is a Hyper Coaster just like Fury 325 is.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
What a strange ride thus far. It looks like it's going to sort of hop over the brake run or a building or whatever is next to the drop and continue past what's currently built (looks like some footers are complete below the logo in the second photo).

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Not sure about those L-shaped turns. Not expecting much forces there, especially considering B&M's usually softer intensity with their Hypers. Hopefully the latter half of the layout will deliver some fun airtime or twists, but I'm not convinced it will.

Matt N

CF Legend
I'll admit that those turns certainly do look less intensely banked than the ones on the likes of Shambhala and Mako do, but I'm sure this will be a fun, enjoyable ride with loads of floaty moments! Besides, this ride could have surprises up its sleeves yet; we've still got lots more track to come! B&M's 2 newest traditional hypers so to speak (aka non-gigas) are Shambhala and Mako, and they seem to be two of the most highly praised B&M hypers built so far on the whole, so I'm quite optimistic that this will be an absolutely incredible ride! I haven't ridden Shambhala, but Mako is absolutely outstanding, and Happy Valley Beijing are onto a winner if Music Roller Coaster is anything even half as good as Mako, if you ask me!

Admittedly, this looks quite a bit smaller than Mako and the drop doesn't look as steep or as tall (Mako's is 200ft tall and I believe it's around 75-80 degrees, whereas this coaster's drop looks to be about 45-50 degrees and no more than about 150ft judging by other people's estimated heights and statistics etc.), so I'm not sure whether you'll get that pull of sustained airtime going over it like you do on Mako, but I'm certainly open to surprises! The seemingly similarly sized Hollywood Dream looks like a really fun ride, so I don't see why this wouldn't be, personally!

Also, RCDB seems to imply that this ride will feature the water brakes that rides like Diamondback and many of B&M's dive coasters have, as it lists Music Roller Coaster as containing a "Splash Effect": https://rcdb.com/15115.htm
Very interesting to see them go for this instead of the water jets activating beside the train like you have on Shambhala; does anyone know why they may have gone back to this system?

Last edited:

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I'll admit that those turns certainly do look less intensely banked than the ones on the likes of Shambhala and Mako do, but I'm sure this will be a fun, enjoyable ride with loads of floaty moments! Besides, this ride could have surprises up its sleeves yet; we've still got lots more track to come! B&M's 2 newest traditional hypers so to speak (aka non-gigas) are Shambhala and Mako, and they seem to be two of the most highly praised B&M hypers built so far on the whole, so I'm quite optimistic that this will be an absolutely incredible ride! I haven't ridden Shambhala, but Mako is absolutely outstanding, and Happy Valley Beijing are onto a winner if Music Roller Coaster is anything even half as good as Mako, if you ask me!

Admittedly, this looks quite a bit smaller than Mako and the drop doesn't look as steep or as tall (Mako's is 200ft tall and I believe it's around 75-80 degrees, whereas this coaster's drop looks to be about 45-50 degrees and no more than about 150ft judging by other people's estimated heights and statistics etc.), so I'm not sure whether you'll get that pull of sustained airtime going over it like you do on Mako, but I'm certainly open to surprises! The seemingly similarly sized Hollywood Dream looks like a really fun ride, so I don't see why this wouldn't be, personally!

Also, RCDB seems to imply that this ride will feature the water brakes that rides like Diamondback and many of B&M's dive coasters have, as it lists Music Roller Coaster as containing a "Splash Effect": https://rcdb.com/15115.htm
Very interesting to see them go for this instead of the water jets activating beside the train like you have on Shambhala; does anyone know why they may have gone back to this system?
The lift hill is 45 degrees. The drop is more like 60-70 degrees.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
It's cute!
Would be nice to see atleast an airtime hill but considering it's size and the fact it's just corners at the moment it falls in my cute catagory.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Love the look of those two hills right next to each other, although they don't seem very exciting on ride.

Matt N

CF Legend
Do we reckon this ride's trains will feature 28 riders (7 rows of 4) like Mako does and the Hershey hyper apparently will?

Also, it would almost seem as though B&M are trying to phase out the staggered seating, as the last hyper model from B&M to feature them was Shambhala in 2012. Since then, B&M has built/is building at least 2 traditional hypers (this included) featuring the regular 4 across seating. If you include the gigas, they've built at least 4 with the traditional seating, as Leviathan and Fury both feature it.

Peet

Giga Poster
The supports are up for most of the rest of the layout too so you can more or less make out where it will go.
As for the V seating, I think this coaster is too small for it; it results in a much longer train and on this coaster a V train would just be too long.

Peet

Giga Poster
Another good update from Roller Coaster Dream:
IMG_20190118_093355.jpg IMG_20190118_093359.jpg
You can see where this is in terms of tge overall layout by comparing to this picture from last week's update:
IMG_20190118_093631.jpg
It seems to run back over and around the first drop, and back past the station (all now installed). I think there will be another turnaround before it heads back towards the station, the water splash, and that's pretty much it. At this rate they will be finished in another week or two.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Is that trim on a downhill section? If so, that's very un-B&M like. But the ride does look nice. Seems to be lacking in airtime hills though.