What's new

Guardians of the Galaxy retheme for Tower of Terror

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Ian said:
It's weird that Disney abandon their own brand in favour of others.
Disney don't own the Twilight Zone brand - that's why they can't use it in Japan - but they do own Guardians of the Galaxy.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Lofty said:
THAT EAR...

He'll be mopping the floor with it by the time he's finished with Avartarland it would have sagged that much. It's already passed the stage of looking like a scrotum hanging from his ear.

Crazycoaster said:
It would look weird if they added the Marvel land and had a random Twilight Zone ride in the middle of it.

I don't know... Currently ToT is out of the way on it's own little cul de sac. Besides . Thematic integrity is irrelevant now as it's the only Hollywood thing in Hollywoodland and it'll be irrelevant when Marvel takes over a theme park revolving around California, so it shouldn't matter if ToT stays.

BzuoJUu.png

They could have just kept it there. Re-do the rest of Hollywoodland if they have to and have just saved money and time and effort and heartbreak by leaving this as it is. I can see the area behind ToT becoming Toy Story Land vol. 4 :p

spicy

Giga Poster
Robbie said:
Ian said:
It's weird that Disney abandon their own brand in favour of others.
Disney don't own the Twilight Zone brand - that's why they can't use it in Japan - but they do own Guardians of the Galaxy.

So when they couldn't use the IP in Japan what did Disney do back then? Create an original idea with Hotel Hightower which is awesome.
Didn't take the easy option of using an already existing IP. Especially one that doesn't even fit like GoTG.

It's just frustrating because Disney's original ideas like Hotel Hightower, Mystic Manor etc are just incredible. To replace ToT which in itself is an IP but an original idea (basically it's own episode of the Twilight Zone) is such a shame. All to make a quick buck and fastrack Marvel into the park.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I agree. But tokyo disneyland is privatly owned so it's not really the same and most Japanese investments after that have been all about IPs.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Well at least this is being done to the lesser ToT. Please don't touch Hollywood Studios.

I will be interested to how they approach this. ToT is conducive to a drop tower ride, as the literal theme is an elevator. (And let's not forget the 1997 movie that was produced for the Wonderful World of Disney TV series)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yT4fPBdzAY[/youtube]

Guardians however... isn't.

peep

CF Legend
Haha, their twitter account is amazing (still not over when they challenged a goon account to a duel on men in black and got everyone on twitter to pick sides).

Not surprised that got deleted as it is maybe a step too far for an official park account.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
spicy said:
To replace ToT which in itself is an IP but an original idea (basically it's own episode of the Twilight Zone) is such a shame. All to make a quick buck and fastrack Marvel into the park.

But so is this - it's based on an IP, but it's an original idea, as it's not from the movie.

Edward M

Strata Poster
I think this is the ultimate "if it ain't broke don't fix it." This just didn't really need to happen. Guardians really deserves a great space simulator or coaster type ride. I'm just not sure this fits. It'll be so odd to see that weird tower all over the park (the old one barely fit as it was). Oh well, if done right, this has the potential to be great. Plus, Disney did a great job with their last layover (Frozen), and the effects could be really cool. As long as Marvel Land ends up being a cool area that doesn't ruin the immersion of Buena Vista Street (maybe call it Marvel Studios to fit with the Hollywood feel?), it isn't too much of a loss. I always thought DL's version was a bit crap compared to WDW's anyway. I'm not as angry about it as most since we still have the better version across the country.

Shirofukurou

Mega Poster
I'm very glad that the Florida version is staying as it is. I've heard that the California version is inferior anyway. That facade is quite an eyesore though.

What would have been a much more sensible retheme would be The Grand Budapest Hotel, due to the actual premise of that movie. But it wouldn't sell tickets the way Marvel, the McDonalds of movies, would.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUc1z2RF9qM[/youtube]

The new facade looks quite sharp actually.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I just hope they pipe 70s pop music throughout the park around this ride.

Lofty

CF Legend
The original concept art had a lot of layered textures with the piping on top - they've clearly had a cull because that is starting to look cheap as ****.

Edward M

Strata Poster
I was at Disneyland about a week ago and saw this in person. Honestly, it looks worse in person I think. It is visible from so many areas of DCA, and it just simply doesn't fit. I never loved DCA's ToT, but I have to say it did always look amazing on that skyline. It worked very well thematically from nearly every area (except maybe Cars Land or Bugs Land). I hope they do more to that facade or, really, just something... anything.

I do have to say though. I'm actually excited for the ride. I think dropping to Hooked on a Feeling or Cherry Bomb would actually be a blast. While it won't be as chilling or interesting as Twilight Zone, I do think it will be very well done and impressive.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Gaudish and very fussy. They tried turning it into the Georges Pompidou centre and it still looks like a cheap overlay.

It looks like the Georges Pompidou centre was slathered in gaudy-coloured glue and rolled through a flea market...