What's new

Great Coaster Names That Haven't Been Used Yet.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
With all the fuss currently surrounding the questionable naming decisions of recent roller coasters - InvadR, Red Force and now Icon, it occurred to me; what cool names for coasters haven't been used yet?
Everybody's quick to jump on the 'OMG what a **** name' bandwagon, well, let's see if you can do any better.
What would you call Blackpool's new Mack? Port Aventura's new Intamin? BGW's new woodie? Or maybe you've got a great name for something that hasn't been imagined yet?

For the record, I was saying for years that Leviathan would make an awesome name for something big. Can't believe it took until 2012 for that to actually happen.
I'd love to see a B&M hyper/giga named Centurion though. How bad-ass does that sound?
If Helix works, how about Apex? That sounds kinda coastery, especially for something with a top-hat element. I could go with that for the Blackpool coaster actually. Somebody call Amanda.
What about Equinox? Not sure what you'd apply it to but... y'know, it sounds cool. Sort of.

What else?
CFers - over to you...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Steel Stampede was a possible name for Storm Runner at Hersheypark, which held a voting competition to name the new attraction (Renegade, a third option). Still like the name, and wish it'd be put to use!

Other favorite, unused names, including a lot of mythical names:
  • RPM
  • Arctic Express
  • Minotaur
  • Cerberus
  • Werewolf
  • Stix
  • Chupacabra

Astro61201

Roller Poster
That I can think of:
Centurion
Wild Run
Alpha and/or omega (be good for duelling coasters)
Ying and yang (again for duelling coasters)

Whilst these are not perhaps awesome names, they are names that appeared fairly obvious to me, and a quick search on RCDB showed that these names had not been claimed.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
For a few years I've had a really neat concept for an indoor Mack or Intamin Launch with a sci-fi theme to it called 'Project: Ion' or simply 'Ion'. Think the theme of Space Mountain with a ride like Nefeskesen or Helix. I even had a whole marketing scheme planned out; just post the word 'Projection' all around the park(or by the construction site). On the big announcement day, the park would've said that the name was in plain sight all along, and adds the colon where it's needed.

Then sure enough, BPB messes the theme up and drops a C in there for whatever reason, but close enough. :p

A few others that I think could work out well:

-Stallion(for a woodie of some sort)
-Nova for another sci-fi coaster
-Fenrir could work for a Cedar Fair name
-Labyrinth could be an indoor Gerst. Bobsled(or similar ride) themed to, well, a labyrinth.
-Cog for a small Steampunk Coaster

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^Minotaur, Renegade, Sasquatch, Alpha & Omega - yes, yes and yes, all good.
Cerberus sounds cool, but isn't that a spiky garden shrub?
Projection/Project:Ion - hell yes.

Chupacabra, Windrush and Fenrir? No. Just no.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Stallion is always top of my list for these things.

Werewolf technically has been used, buts it's Loup Garou in Belgian so I guess you can get away with it. Great name for a coaster!

Also the Space Mountains at Magic Kingdom are technically named Alpha and Omega.

Renegade has been used twice before two, womp womp thanks for playing.

Anything mythical beast related - Chimaera I always thought sounded quite badass. And spooky sounding names like Magick or Cult or something like that. In RCT I always make black magic themed parks and have a ton of fun with the names!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave

CF Legend
Always liked the name Prometheus for a fire themed coaster, or Atlas for a flying/water coaster. Mainly Roman and Greek gods that have not been used yet!

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
I'm surprised there isn't a coaster anywhere just called "Adrenaline".

Simple, punchy, appropriate. Snap it up park managers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jake Martell

Roller Poster
I'd love to see a B&M hyper/giga named Centurion though. How bad-ass does that sound?
Yessss...hopefully Cedar Fair uses Centurion for a :emoji_fingers_crossed: King's Island Gig.
I second mythlogical beast names being infallible...Bahamut, Manticore and Raiju come to mind. Given Invadr's viking theme I feel like Berserkir would've been a cool choice.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Coming in with the jerk post.......
:
  • RPM
  • Arctic Express
Ehhhh.... Close enough
https://rcdb.com/4340.htm
https://rcdb.com/3853.htm - original name

-Labyrinth could be an indoor Gerst. Bobsled(or similar ride) themed to, well, a labyrinth.
Been used - https://rcdb.com/1209.htm

A few of mine..
Sasquatch
Detonator
Both of these have been used on S&S Towers, Detonator being at World's of Fun and Sasquatch being at Great Escape. Ha

And as pointed out, Alpha and Omega are the names of the two tracks within Space Mountain at Walt Disney World :)

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
Rogue
Alpha
Sabre
Quasar
Nova
Nebula
Sasquatch or Squatch
T.Rex
Toxin or Venom
Magma
A'a or Pa'hoe'hoe (types of lava)

BigBad

Mega Poster
or Atlas for a flying/water coaster.
Atlas wouldn't work for a coaster name. Too many people will think of a book of maps, not a Titan.

I'm a NoLimits 2 user, so I think about this with frequency.

Cold Fusion: It's a theoretical, futuristic form of energy that would be a good named for a launched coaster that allegedly requires so much energy for its launch that the only source could be cold fusion.
Foo Fighter: what WWII pilots called UFOs, not named after the band.
Have Blue: This is what the demonstrator for the first stealth plane was called. It turned into the F-117 stealth fighter that doesn't look like it should be able to fly and was nicknamed Hopeless Diamond. (The F-117 is the famous stealth fighter from the Gulf War. You've seen photos of it.)
Kodiak: You think a grizzly bear is big?
Gazelle: A very fast animal.
Dark Master: Dream Theater lyrics: "Dark Master, I will fight for you!" (In the Presence of Enemies)
Night Witch: In a Russian-themed area, themed to the Night Witches lady pilots from WWII.
FireStarter: I first had this idea for a wood coaster but have gotten into using it for a giga I'm designing in NL2. I have a rough video on YouTube.
Shadow Beast: Arch Enemy lyrics: "The Shadow Beast has won!" (Enemy Within)
Attila The Hun: I have an idea for this to be in a Rome-themed area. The Hun's might not have sacked Rome, but they were a large part of its demise. I think the name makes sense in a Roman section if you look at the video of my idea for it, which is a slightly refined version of another coaster I made.
Cottonmouth: There are coasters called Cobra and Anaconda. Why not a water snake?
Freebird: I'd like to see a B&M flying coaster at Dollywood called Freebird.
Kamehameha: King of Hawaii.
Moonchild: Iron Maiden song, though I'm not sure about the fact that you would be riding a child
Grand Master: This is what they call a chess champion
Phantom Lord: Name of a Metallica song
Megalodon: Sea World's Giga Mako?

There could be some copyright issues.

But if you ignore copyright issues, I'd like to see a Buffy-themed area with Big Bad as the major coaster!

Astro61201

Roller Poster
-Stallion(for a woodie of some sort)
-Nova for another sci-fi coaster
-Fenrir could work for a Cedar Fair

Stallion is one that really surprises me, in my mind and I'm sure in other people's minds it feels rather obvious, same with Nova (not to degrade it or anything but I could see it fitting a vekoma boomerang, or intamin inverted impulse coaster ala wicked twister). Fenrir I could imagine being themed after a mystical guardian of the woods, basically the ride would be you helping Fenrir to protect the woods from attack (either coaster or dark ride) this would also fit in with the NL2 ride ( I assume this was you inspiration?) which is tangled amongst the woods.

I also have to add a few more:
Apollo (intamin launch perhaps?)
Legion (not to sure myself on this one, but perhaps a wooden coaster could bear this name?)
Thor:the ride (again not to sure myself, pretty bland and unimaginative, but I could imagine a B&M flyer with a layout inspired by Thors flight, with lots of twists and high speed elements, pretzel loop anyone?)

Last edited:

TilenB

Strata Poster
Apollo (intamin launch perhaps?)
Legion (not to sure myself on this one, but perhaps a wooden coaster could bear this name?)
Thor:the ride (again not to sure myself, pretty bland and unimaginative, but I could imagine a B&M flyer with a layout inspired by Thors flight, with lots of twists and high speed elements, pretzel loop anyone?)
Apollo's Chariot and Thor's Hammer don't do it for you?

Astro61201

Roller Poster
I meant just Apollo by itself would sound good (I did fear similarities to Apollo's Chariot), I see what you mean with those hammer though, so I guess Thor: the ride has been used in some way.

TilenB

Strata Poster
^ According to rcdb, there's also a ride called Apollo Coaster in Brittany (France). It's a Pinfari Zyklon, so not really as awesome as one would expect...

Alaeriia

Roller Poster
Azimuth (giga or taller)
Jormungandr (the Midgard Serpent)
Ragnarok
Hammer of the Gods
Yggdrasil (polercoaster)
Rough Rider (wooden)
Acrophilia
Aeroblast
Ephemera
Kaboom! (Launched coaster)